Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
James Rogers

Default Model T rod oiling

I have several Model T rods and have a hard time understanding how they oil. I don't see any holes or grooves that channel oil to the bearings so unless they oil like a Briggs and Stratton I don't see how it works.

If someone could explain this system to me I might be able to pour and bore a few sets and get some practice in cutting T rods. I already do A and B rods but haven't done any T's yet.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Model T rod oiling

They are just oiled by splash like a Briggs & Stratton. They can have oil grooves cut like on A rods. Some are even drilled and fitted with chevy dippers.

Last edited by J Franklin; 05-15-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: grammer
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Model T Monte

I`ve often wondered why a rod cap hasn`t been made like the A caps to install at rebuild time, or does someone offer this? They have to be poured an bored anyway. Just thinkin out loud. Monte
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
They are just oiled by splash like a Briggs & Stratton. They can have oil grooves cut like on A rods. Some are even drilled and fitted with chevy dippers.
I'm thinking all the B&S engines I've ever worked on had a dipper in the bottom. While I agree with you that they can have dippers & X grooves, --this is not how they left the factory, ...so how did they originally get their lubrication?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Roadster62

With the engine and transmission sharing the same oil I think that flywheel keep a fairly good mist of oil flowing at all times. Adding an accessorie screen to the trans inspection cover helps catch any debris that may plug the line to the front.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
redmodelt

By wet splash, the motor when running created a mist of oil in the engine. The oil collected on the inside surfaces and ran down to where it was needed. At 35 MPH with standard rear end you would only be at around 1400 RPM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
James Rogers

Would a champhored hole on the top of the big end be of any benefit? Would it even work?
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Straightpipes

Never try to outguess Henry.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
jackdaron

Some rods have a hole on the top of journal for oil to migrate in.
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Model T Monte

I wouldnt think it would hurt any thing if not large enough to weaken the rod. Monte
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
Kohnke Rebabbitting

James, pattern the stock T rod after the A & B rods. Drill two holes, in the web on both sides, and one in the cap, and use the tin T dippers The two holes in the web are for air, and old oil exchange. You have to machine the part lines, and put in the right amount of shims, which is normally two .032 solid brass shims , and one .032 laminated, at .002 each piece. We have to make our own shims, as you can't buy the right kind for a spun poured rod. This makes the nut and bolt hole on the rod bolt line up so you don't have the nut way below the end of the hole in the end of the bolt. The other reason for the right amount of shims in the rods is to get the same amount of babbitt in the cap, and the rod and keep the 7" center distance. Many rebuilders bore out the T rods, with out the right amount of shims, and take out alot of material in the cap, which makes the cap unsafe. To put in "X" groves, you have to bore the rod out to a certain size so that you have room for the "X" grove cutter, as they brake the cutting end off very easy, if you hit steel. The last thing is they should be broached on the center line, also for oil, and air exchange. NEVER MAKE AN OIL WELL ON A DIPPER ROD, that would trap any foreign material in the well, and keep it circling the shaft. We always poured about 5, to 8 hundred rods at a time, then machine them all, and weigh each one on a Gram Scale, and lay them in long lines, ane then pick them by weight, from the light end of the line, to the heavy end, so you didn't have to mutilate any rods, when you balanced a set. To do them that way, you will have 3 times the hours, as an Model A, or B rod. Now, as for a debating if a Model T rod will last longer with X groves, and dippers, how many A, and B guys do you think you find, that would use A & B rods with out dippers, and X groves mmmmmmmm? thanks Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote