Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Model A frames

I posted a question on another site, but will try here: What is a good reference to differentiate between Model A frames? I just picked up three and there are differences in steering (left side and both sides); what I assume to be the emergency brake cross shaft; holes in the top of the center cross member plus possible others I may have missed. All three go back fairly straight and then flare out after the center cross member. What frame is required for a '29 body? Thanks in advance for any help I receive here. The previous postings about frame drawings were great, but don't seem to answer all of the questions.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Model A frames

Check the front crossmember where the radiator mounts. The 28/29 are different than the 30/31 The Les Andrews book has a drawing if you need it.

Gary

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Check the front crossmember where the radiator mounts. The 28/29 are different than the 30/31 The Les Andrews book has a drawing if you need it.

Gary

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

I was at this old dudes house a few days ago. He had a rolling frame that had steering holes L/R. My 30 only has left handed. Hmmm

As far as which frame to use. If you are restoring. On the left frame rail, between the 2nd and third body mount hole (somewhere around there), you should find the serial number. (if its readible) That should indecate which year it is. There are a number of places you can ID by that number. I had to clean the heck out of my frame, then use a paper and pencil to scratch the number. Now it's on my title :-)

If you are rodding, use the one with the least holes in it :-)

Mr.ED

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Default Behind "first" body mount hole..

under where the cowl would sit.....Leon

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

I'd go for the vin number on the frame. Mr. ED is correct, it may be hard to find. I suggest steel wool and a shot of that spray material that turns rust into black oxide. Then steel wool. Identifying the year it was mounted under a body is the best route to go and avoid future surprises.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

I was at this old dudes house a few days ago. He had a rolling frame that had steering holes L/R. My 30 only has left handed. Hmmm

As far as which frame to use. If you are restoring. On the left frame rail, between the 2nd and third body mount hole (somewhere around there), you should find the serial number. (if its readible) That should indecate which year it is. There are a number of places you can ID by that number. I had to clean the heck out of my frame, then use a paper and pencil to scratch the number. Now it's on my title :-)

Mr.ED

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #9

I'd go for the vin number on the frame. Mr. ED is correct, it may be hard to find. I suggest steel wool and a shot of that spray material that turns rust into black oxide. Then steel wool. Identifying the year it was mounted under a body is the best route to go and avoid future surprises.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #10

Mr.ED

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #11

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #12

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #13

Mr.ED

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #14

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #15