Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
PeteVS

Default Chassis paint recommendations?

Over the warm season, I got a lot of chassis parts made and massaged. Now, before the cold weather sets in, I'd like to get them painted. I'm talking about spindles, front axle, wishbone, tie rod, etc. I don't really spray paint but I'd like to do better than Rustoleum primer and semi gloss black. If I do use the aerosol and bake it on, would it be more durable than not baking it? Are there other brands of aerosol that are more durable out of the can? Should I buy a HF spray gun and visit the auto body paint store? If so, what works well? Should I buy a can of matching primer? Do they have better aerosols than the big box stores? Thanks for any direction here!
Old 11-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Chassis paint recommendations?

There are brush-on chassis paints if you want to go that way. The high quality paints will flow out nicely, not showing brush marks.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...lcome.1060647/

Last edited by JSeery; 11-03-2019 at 07:41 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #3
TJ

I've used POR-15. Brush it on and it flows just like you sprayed it.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
uncle buck

I like a semi gloss black called Chassis Saver. It’s made by Magnet Paints and is very durable.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
Stretch Cab

I am using Eastwoods Chassis Black. I use their mid-grade one and it works great to either spray or bush. I will be using it tomorrow to work some more on the frontend parts on my 36. I just remembered that the frame rail in the picture was powder coated but the shock was brush painted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3672.jpg (28.4 KB, 97 views)
Old 11-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
3twinridges

I think Bill Hirsch makes a chassis paint but I have not used it. I used POR-15 with the POR-15 chassis black top coat.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:23 PM   #7
Tinker

If you have a compressor with at least a 60 gal tank. You can buy "throw away" paint guns from HF for about 20$. The paint guns have a larger opening for primers and epoxy paint (1.8mm size tip). Sometimes they also have deals. Last epoxy primer project I did they had them for 5$.

Anything epoxy would be best. Might be best to just brush it on.

Wear a ventilator. Paint can be very toxic.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #8
RalphM

I used an epoxy prime, very tough, and covered with acrylic black gloss, very tough and looks great.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #9
Tinker

Like all paint projects, the prep is key to longevity.

Edit *** I'm not say you need to do a primer and a top coat either previously. You could just brush or spray a quality epoxy paint.***

Last edited by Tinker; 11-03-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
jim1932

before the cold weather?? already late LOL
Old 11-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #11
TomT/Williamsburg

KBS Coatings - one small pint will do an entire frame .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:41 AM   #12
35fordtn

If you have the ability to spray with a Automotive paint gun, I can’t say enough about tamco products. Their epoxy primer and paints are superior to the $550 a gallon PPG products in my humble opinion
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #13
Bored&Stroked

Given the amount of surface area you have to cover - I'd buy a HF HVLP spray gun for sure. The quality of automotive paints are so much better than anything you can buy in an aerosol can.

I'd use the best quality epoxy primer you can afford (2 medium wet coats) and then shoot whatever top-coat you want on it. Plan for 2 - 3 medium wet top coats - I'd plan for a quart of top-coat paint for a frame sized job. (Inexperienced folks will waste more than a Pro).

Top Coating: It kind of depends on how much shine you want - I tend to use more of a "chassis black" for vintage frames/suspensions (looks more like what Ford would have put on it). Once you use a spray gun (with a good mask!), you'll never go back to aerosol cans for anything bigger than a tiny bracket. There are some great acrylic paints that are easy to spray and look fantastic -- and are much easier to use than our old single-stage enamels.

Pay particular attention to water vapor coming out in your air line. I'd get an water-vapor and air-filter to put inline - such that you can get clean dry air to the gun. The typical 'Amazon' type solutions aren't perfect, but they are affordable and are important for any home-style air system.

Note: I also have a "mini HVLP" spray gun - which I use for all sorts of smaller parts. Because it is very small and doesn't hold much paint - I tend to waste a LOT less paint. The reason this is key is that most quality paints in today's world use a catalyst - which means once you mix them, you have to use the paint or throw it out (what is known as 'pot life' is key).

You'll find that you tend to mix too much initially - wasting valuable paint as you throw it out. Having a much smaller gun tends to drive less waste for smaller jobs.

Here is an example at HF - might be ALL you need (gun wise):

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-oz-h...gun-61473.html

Good luck!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Little more involved with safety gear and overspray protection. You will need some kind of enclosure (could be plastic tarps) including floor covering. At a minimum you need a good quality mask/respirator, but mostly also want hair covering and something over the rest of you. Also need some type of air source and exhaust. And isolation of any open flames.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Covering Your Hair, Neck, Ears, etc: I used to take an old t-shirt and put the collar around my head/face and hang the rest down my back - then my mask elastic holds it all on. Simple and easy!
Old 11-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #16
Fordestes

Pay particular attention as to whether a flex agent is desirable , especially for a frame , I painted a 53 pickup frame with p.p.g and followed the mixing instructions and a few months later as the frame flexed the paint cracked and peeled a bit , the rep said I should have used a flex agent.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #17
supereal

The best way to paint a chassis is powder coating, if you have the body removed. We don't use POR. In spite of meticulous preparation, it doesn't last.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #18
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
The best way to paint a chassis is powder coating, if you have the body removed. We don't use POR. In spite of meticulous preparation, it doesn't last.
No question this is the best method - and gives the most durable results. I've used various epoxy paints on frames/suspensions - which can be pretty dang tough (and dangerous as Hell to use), but they're not a match for properly applied and cured powder coating.

I just rebuilt a completely new suspension (front to rear) and an all new brake system for my 32 (mechanical to hydraulics). I had everything powder coated in a Harley Davidson chassis black color.

This included powder coating brake drums, the master cylinder, front-end, rear-end, banjo, torque tube, radius rods, every leaf of both front/rear springs, spring shackles, etc.. It looks wonderful. Was it inexpensive - no - cost about $1600 for everything. BUT - that included all the sand blasting, meticulous masking (inside and out of things like brake drums), all bearing surfaces, etc.. This saved me literally a couple weeks of my time (at a minimum) and the cost of the necessary sanding, cleaning, painting materials probably would have been around $500 anyway. While it was a lot of money - it was totally worth it.

Once you've gone this route - you'll never want to go back to sanding, prepping and painting things the "traditional" way . . . well, at least I won't! If I need to save up the money and the project takes longer - so be it.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #19
Tinker

Depends on what you want. A few rattle epoxy rustleums will probably out live me and you. Just prep it with something like ospho to neutralize the rust present and clean the oil off. being it down to a bare frame no better time to do what you want to do.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:43 AM   #20
PeteVS

Well, the it appears that I'm too late in the season weather wise and I have a few important obligations coming up. I'm just gonna put everything into a dry trailer and wait until spring.

A word about powder coatings... A while back, I owned a Ford Ranger pickup. While driving one day, I heard a loud bang from the back. I looked in the mirror and didn't see anything in the road that I might have hit. Looked underneath and didn't see anything unusual. A couple of months later the same chain of events happened. Then it developed a squeak in the back. Closer examination revealed that both of the rear spring shackles had broken. (They're really hard to see, tucked way up under the bed.) Anyway they had both rotted away to nothing but the powder coating they had appeared to be in excellent shape. I don't like powder coating!!