Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
M2M

Unhappy Cannot get the quail back on

Took the locking thermo quail off to inspect and clean but cannot get it back on...is there a trick to this?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:35 AM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: Cannot get the quail back on

On mine, I just have to fiddle with it until it goes. You are usually pressing against the rubber O-ring and if it is a good O-ring, it needs some hand pressure to get it compressed enough to go under the catches that hold it shut.

PS: If you are talking about where it connects to the radiator filler neck, my 1929 has an Allen wrench set screw holding it to the neck. Don't forget that.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbox51 View Post
On mine, I just have to fiddle with it until it goes. You are usually pressing against the rubber O-ring and if it is a good O-ring, it needs some hand pressure to get it compressed enough to go under the catches that hold it shut.

PS: If you are talking about where it connects to the radiator filler neck, my 1929 has an Allen wrench set screw holding it to the neck. Don't forget that.

I cannot attach the "locking" thermo quail to the radiator !!! I took it off by removing the allen wrench screws; it came off easy. I would have thought it just twists on then you attach and tighten the screws but I cannot do that...what am I missing? Does it attach with the screws fitted or without?

Old 07-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
harryc

what year is your car and what is the location of the allen screws you removed. If you completely removed the allen screws that are underneath the quail you are in trouble and will likely have to buy some replacement pieces.
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
M2M

Question Re: Cannot get the quail back on

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
what year is your car and what is the location of the allen screws you removed. If you completely removed the allen screws that are underneath the quail you are in trouble and will likely have to buy some replacement pieces.

Car is a 1931. What am I not explaining that no one seems to understand my question?

This is what I have, see photo below.

I'll ask the question again. Those brass tabs in the photo below...when you want to ATTACH the quail to the radiator should they be on and tightened, or on but loose, or completely off? It was on my car but I cannot get it to attach again.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

Loosen the screws, install the cap, orient it so it faces front, rotate the tabs under the neck of the radiator, tighten the screws, don't forget the gasket.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

It ollks like yourscrews are going in from the bottom. They should go in from the top. Put the screws in loose. Rotate the tabs. Hold them from turning, then tighten them. Good luck.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #8
VinceBlack

I had one on mine and took it off, someone overnighted the screws and bent the rim inside the neck so it would not seal. I fixed the neck and sold the qual.
VinceBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Be careful !!! One of the things that the quail or motor meter radiator caps are best at is ruining the upper neck of the radiator .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #10
M2M

I did finally get the quail on; what I was doing wrong was trying to gently twist it into place rather than just put it in place then tighten the screws

...BUT even with the special o ring the suppliers sell to stop it leaking it still leaks at 45+mph the only thing left to try is to put some Right Stuff below where the gasket/o-ring sits for a tighter fit...I searched the forum and this has worked for others. In the meantime I purchased a normal radiator cap which doesn't leak at any speed.

I wish they sold non-locking moto-meters like they do for the Model T. With those the anti-theft system is to unscrew it and take it with you...and they don't leak. I can foresee a thief destroying a Model A quail or moto-meter and the radiator neck trying to steal it...I love the looks of the quail but I too may decide to sell it.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

I had to use the red high temp silicone sealer to stop the leaks around the thermo quail radiator cap when accelerating . I prefer the look of the original radiator cap .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #12
Mulletwagon

Put my quail on the 31 today. Had to do the "grind" mod to reduce the outside diameter of the tab mounts. Was curious as to what the temperature had to be before seeing any red on the thermometer. Put the sensor in increasingly hot water on the stove until the red was visible. The temp was right around 200 F. This seems to suggest if any red is seen the engine is close to boiling over. Can anybody provide any additional insight as to how to interpret the thermometer under the bird ?
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:24 PM   #13
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Put my quail on the 31 today. Had to do the "grind" mod to reduce the outside diameter of the tab mounts. Was curious as to what the temperature had to be before seeing any red on the thermometer. Put the sensor in increasingly hot water on the stove until the red was visible. The temp was right around 200 F. This seems to suggest if any red is seen the engine is close to boiling over. Can anybody provide any additional insight as to how to interpret the thermometer under the bird ?

On the car I think the thermometer is never IN water but heat comes from air/steam.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #14
1931 flamingo

Put a temp gauge in it. JMO
By the time the Quail shows "hot" it may be too late.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #15
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Be careful !!! One of the things that the quail or motor meter radiator caps are best at is ruining the upper neck of the radiator .
I went back to the stock cap. Besides messing up the neck the moto meter started to corrode. Piece of Vintique pot metal junk...

I do like the looks of the Moto meter tho and eventually I drilled a hole in a stock stainless (repro) cap and installed just the meter without the pot metal locking part.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-23-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #16
Tudortomnz

Motometers mounted on the filler were never intended to show radiator temperature, all they really do is maybe show that your radiator is now boiling. They are more Model T era ornamentation. By the Model A era, the inside mounted dash temp. gauge was on most cars [ Chrysler corp. etc] & these are the best for accuracy. I have had repro motometers & quail on my '29 but put the original cap back many years ago. Looks clean & simple & no problems .
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #17
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Motometers mounted on the filler were never intended to show radiator temperature, all they really do is maybe show that your radiator is now boiling. They are more Model T era ornamentation. By the Model A era, the inside mounted dash temp. gauge was on most cars [ Chrysler corp. etc] & these are the best for accuracy. I have had repro motometers & quail on my '29 but put the original cap back many years ago. Looks clean & simple & no problems .
Well you hit the nail on the head when you said (RE-PRO), if you get Originals Ones of both you speak of, they work fine.. (But NO Ther Mo Quails were ever made.)
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #18
wmws
BANNED

I have an original motometer I got at Hershey years ago and it is very accurate.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #19
M2M

Motometers work well in my experience; but of course a proper temperature gauge is better. Problem is the poor quality repro "locking" system sold for the Model A that leak. Non-locking system for Model T do not leak.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #20
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Motometers work well in my experience; but of course a proper temperature gauge is better. Problem is the poor quality repro "locking" system sold for the Model A that leak. Non-locking system for Model T do not leak.
Again, RE-PRO, I use Original Gaskets on Original Stanco or Jarvis pieces with no leaks .. And they do have a locking system..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote