Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2016, 01:06 AM   #1
Joshyk860

Default New member looking for advise, please

So I'm starting down the path of building a model a! I've located a few blocks/ complete non running engines and plan on starting with getting an engine built and running on a stand. What should I look for and avoid, is it worth picking up a few of the blocks to go through clean up to check for cracks? What about a is a "fair" price for blocks? As I said I'm new to all of this any advice is well appreciated! Any guys on here from ct?
Joshyk860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: New member looking for advise, please

Cracks are common but also fixable in all but the most extreme cases.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
burner31

Do you have a body it's going in?
Do you have the frame?
Sounds like you are starting from scratch with just the engine.
You may find a buildable engine in a frame/body for sale, spread your net, you will catch more.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
1930artdeco

Welcome to the barn! Where are you located? My advice would be to find a local club for lots of help. Piecing a Model A together is going to be a Looooong term project. I think you would be better off buying that is at least whole and fixing it up. Or buying that is drives me and enjoying it. That way you don't run out of steam and get frustrated.

Mike
Old 05-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
Terry, NJ

Welcome to the barn! I bought a non running engine, no guarantees about cracks, for $75.
No Starter, manifolds, or carb. I was warned here to check the center main. I did and it was shot. It cost me $700 for new mains, rods were ok. Well sorta. #3 wrist pin was loose and it clunked when it was cold. And... If you should get into the same problems I had,Do yourself a favor and get adjustable lifters($75) for it. You'll have the engine all torn down anyway. Check the cylinders for piston fit. Maybe you'll need the next increment up in piston size and a lap to enlarge the cylinder. Check the valves for fit and looseness (are they free?). Blocks tend to crack along the left hand side under the head. The rear under the throttle linkage, In the valve chamber. and of course into each cylinder from the top. Some are an easy fix, some are not. Check the head for cracks. You'll probably discard the old head and put a new, high compression head for more power. When you're reassembling the engine. don't be shy about asking for some tips, like how many times do I have to torque the head bolts? It's all here, just ask!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
slackcat

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Do you have a body it's going in?
Do you have the frame?
Sounds like you are starting from scratch with just the engine.
You may find a buildable engine in a frame/body for sale, spread your net, you will catch more.

True. Just last week saw a frame and running drivetrain for sale 2 hrs. away and a complete restored and running engine, with clutch and pedals, an hour away. I might call on the engine, asking 2200.

Have enough patience and a good deal will come around.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #7
Steve_Mack_CT

What Slackcat just said. Also, welcome to the barn!! I am also in CT - PM sent.

There is a frame (engine less if I remember right) on the Model A Facebook page in NJ for $600. I might be able to help with something more local, I sent you a PM Josh.

I know of others who have thought about this strategy as well. Building an engine, for someone who is mechanically inclined, has some time, etc. might be a fun project. There is always a market for a running Model A engine if he decides not to take it further, but every Model A, from a simple speedster to a perfect phaeton needs an engine.

Keep us posted on your search/project/etc!
Old 05-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Dont hurry into it. There are blocks, engines and half completed projects all over the country. Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
Terry, NJ

Just a word about buying a complete chassis.First, make sure you get a title with it! Second, Do make sure the serial numbers are the same as on the title as the frame! The numbers are to be found under the LH seat/door, stamped into the chassis. And Make rubbings on paper of the numbers. Your state may not require a title, but most states do. If you sell it to someone in Pa. They'll need a rubbing and to get it, you have to remove the body.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
Joshyk860

Thanks for all the good words guys! Heading to NY Friday morning to look and possibly pick up an engine! This is just for me to tinker around with and get myself into it. I do have my eyes on a few barn finds. I don't really have the time to go from a bare frame up so id kind of like to find something that runs and drives but needs work that I can take my time with come winter when I'm laid off, yet be able to enjoy putting miles on it this summer and fall.
Joshyk860 is offline   Reply With Quote