Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #101
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Model T... all 12 volt all the time.

Nyuk nyuk Nyuk... the boat doesnt dock too far from the car does it?? A little nautical flair to go with the 3 blade spinners on the wire wheels. Turns nice too! Hope it spins at 30 MPH!

Also did a little finesse filing on the cowl edge and fitted a strip of chrome door edge guard. Looks pretty sharp. Gonna do the hood edges between the hinges too. Model T Bling???

Also started on sizing up a frame for my trunk. Gonna use 3/4 square tubing and tie it in with the spare tire carrier. Those dual tires have a tendency to really shake the car with the weight being so cantilevered and Id really be embarrassed if the carrier cracked at the spring mount and fell off! ws

Trunk will get the yellow treatment with a 1/8" piece of diamond plate on top. Finally somewhere to stash my jacket! Now all I need is a bowler!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #102
yachtsmanbill

"Blaires' been busy down here..."

HOORAY! Finished up on the trunk mounting frame, sanded and painted the trunk, and took iy out for a trial run.
Tomorrow itll get mounted, and make a brake lite switch linkage, then, start cleaning the shop so I can get started painting the boat. Already ordered the paint(s) for that one. No rest for the weary, eh? ws

Barbies the best shop helper... couldnt resist. Now Ill know if anyone really reads this stuff!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #103
yachtsmanbill

WHEW! Just about done for the "off" season... Finally rigged the stop lite switch linkage, got the trunk bolted down with the diamond plate on the top and about 20 other odds and ends done...including rounding off the door corners. I still need to mount and pipe the wolf whistle.
Maybe this weekend Ill fill the radiator and toss a pair of fresh eggs in it, and maybe an oil change. Im so ready for a spin! ws

Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #104
fordman67

Well,that thing is taking shape. I am paying attention...you aint right.Keep up the good work. Prepare for my return very soon.(I hope anway)
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #105
yachtsmanbill

I may not be right, but does that really make me wrong?? Imagine retiring and then becoming overwhelmed because theres not enough time in a day to begin getting stuff done. I am so far behind that I need to jump UP to touch BOTTOM!
We adopted a baby boy today! His name is BONER. YIKES!! ws

Also went and picked up 30 barrels for a new floating dock for the Roamer

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 04-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #106
yachtsmanbill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Im looking at some vintage Wisconsin tags, and not being a cheesehead originally, I am a tad confused about plates... Theres several available and some are ##### A #####B #####C and one set thats just a number. In Illinois, the suffix letter would be a truck classification. Same hold true here?
I run a legal plate, and would like to have a vintage as well. Ideas? Input?? ws

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281082006091...1#ht_337wt_932

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271176483192...1#ht_337wt_932

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281082006090...1#ht_337wt_932
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #107
yachtsmanbill

So just to take a break from the arduous task of playing with a Model T, my SIL Scott and I finished up the three 12 X6 foot dock sections, launched them, then bolted them together and transported them up river and attached them to the main pier. So far into that was about 7 man/day at 6-8 hours per/day.
A few days ago, like 3 or 4, we started doing the body work on the boat. The 28 year old paint job was looking pretty brutal, as in paint failure. I thought some light repairs and a good sanding would have it ready for paint... WRONGO ! ... Its a 50 year old aluminum Roamer that Ive had for 40 years this year. Thres a brazillion little spots of corrosion that all needed to be ground out, with the whole job needing sanding, special marine fairing compounds to repair the spots and on and on. After the last 3 days, we are at about the 75% "prepping" stage for the bondo job, Thats gonna need finishing, then a white paint job, followed by a metallic burgandy stripe and that means about 10-15 rolls of masking tape.
I get a kick outa the the girls that Cant Understand Normal Thinking across the hall that have no conception about this stuff and argue about "rattle cans" for painting a spring shackle etc. Ever had your fingernails bleed from being worn down so far? Hopefully another 5 days she'll be ready for the water... more like 10... ws

Keeping it in perspective, Scotts 6'3" and standing (kneeling on this pic) on a 3 foot scaffold riser. This is the short end of the job with the bow rising an additional foot. Glad the guys a foot taller than me and 35 years younger!
BTW...30 year old catylized paint is hard as glass. Just getting the glaze broken was the chore. Afterthat the finish sanding goes easy. Started the glaze breaking with 80, followed by 150, and finish up with 220. Stay tuned for more progress as we move along!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #108
yachtsmanbill

Boat is finished and ready for launch tomorrow. Took the day off for a model T ride; had to have two poached eggs for breakfast! ws

Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #109
yachtsmanbill

Got her done and alls well that ends well... ws

Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #110
yachtsmanbill

CAR SHOW AND PARADE IN TWO RIVERS, WI. IN THREE WEEKS! Usually about 200 - 300 cars to see! ws

Old 06-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #111
jkelsh

Can't say I've ever noticed the beautiful wood dash you have in the speedster before- guess I haven't been paying close enough attention- looks fantastic anyway!
jkelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #112
yachtsmanbill

Thanks man... where ya been??? That dash was an old solid 1" thick maple table that I pulled outa the trash on garbage night a while back. Its laminated with 1 layer of 3/4" plywood and a 2 X 2 frame so the whole shebang is actually 3-3/4" thick ... stronger than heck! ws

Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #113
jkelsh

It's amazing how something beautiful can be made from what someone else considers garbage. Henry Ford himself would've been proud of such a great example of recycling. I haven't had much time to be on the ole computer- been awfully busy between school and 2 part time jobs. Now that school is out for the summer I'll have more time for fordbarn and old cars hopefully
Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #114
yachtsmanbill

Stick with it pal... I know yer a bit younger than most of the guys around here, but you should see the cloisterfork going on at theMTFCI forum. They changed from a dinosaur on a tredmill to V bulletin and most of those knuckleheads cant figure out how to make a post much less post pics. Its pretty hilarious, yet for some reason I keep posting directions and get ignored... like thats' supposed to hurt my feelings LOL.
"You cant insult my integrity; I dont have any..."

Sooo... I hope you get to enjoy your' summer with all the local cruise nights and car shows etc... ws

First time out this year with a FRESH paint job on my boat too. Time to take a break. Hmmm
Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #115
jkelsh

Glad to hear about the switch. Can't say I was a big fan of the old forum. I imagine it will be awhile before they get the hang of things although if they listened to you the process would be sped up. Both the car and the boat look great. I was going to look up that boat forum of yours. Had a few questions after seeing some slick 20s era boats on hbo's boardwalk empire. Now that I've got some real capital on my hands I've got a hankering for either a T speedster or sedan. There's a pretty decent chassis in the classifieds I might get. Gonna take a look at it for sure
Justin
Old 06-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #116
yachtsmanbill

Its really a shame that all the know it alls' didn't know all of it. The new forum OS across the hall reminds me of the 90 year old lady that stepped on the gas instead of the brakes and ran over 20 people at the airport. Maybe if that was a model T and she stepped on the reverse instead of the low pedal things would've turned out differently... SHEEEEESH! ws

Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #117
yachtsmanbill

Just three weeks to go... PLAN AHEAD... usually a 500+ car turn out! ws

Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #118
yachtsmanbill

Well, it was bound to happen... finally got "judged" and won a trophy! "Oldest pieced together basket case piece of junk class" but man did we have a blast. 500 cars and they called me first for the award!
We also did the parade the night before and they put me and Jeff as #11 and #12. There is a long (7 minute) video but we show up at the beginning! ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hGPX...m-upload_owner
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #119
yachtsmanbill

You know me... ol' off thred Willy... We went to a tractor show in Newton Wi. today. They call it the two banger Newton tractor club. Its at the city park and organized by the NVFD who did a bang up job organizing parking, beverages etc etc...
There was a few neat old tractors and I followed a guy down the road in his 22 touring car at a blistering 31 mph. Besides the tractors there was a decent hand tool exhibit, a blacksmith and tons of "farmabilia" from the turn of the last century.
I shot this one for Farmall Cub... HEY ANDY! Nicely detailed flathead V8 for power.. No limit to some folks imagination! ws

Even had a hit-n-miss lawn mower with turf saver tires!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #120
yachtsmanbill

Just a few more shots... on the way there I stopped at a garage sale and found a NOS Anderson timer for a buck... the sale of the day, plus a running board luggage rack for Jeff for $2.00. That ol timer was stamped $1.oo. Guess the economy was pretty stable back then ehh?? ws

Price stamped on the case... $1.00