Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #81
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Jetzt, da der Staub gelegt hat, seine Zeit bei der Arbeit

I must really have some horrid breath to scare everyone away Either that or its my typing fingers from, ah, er, handcleaner, or, worse

Got that U joint pin put in this morning. Had to grind the length so it wouldnt rub with enuff to pein over. Did one end in the vise, then some locktite, installed and ran her home. Center drilled the second side 1/16 so I could get a punch in the hole to spread it a bit. Had a drift pin from the floor up, to pein the final. Worked like a champ!
Moved about 10 big tubs full of stuff to get this guy outside and turned around. Pretty stiff with new brakes and being so cold. ws

This crazy project is taking up an entire 24X38 foot shop!
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #82
yachtsmanbill

So then the boredom set in. What do ya do then... become a good rigger. Henceforth, rigged the motor and set ger down. One 4 wheel cart outa the way! That one was 2X3 feet
Called Pat on the crack phone to lend a hand lining up the u-joint. She said she was up town! Did it alone, again! The bastard slid right together! Finally starting to look like something... ws

Had to slide the front over, rig and lift the motor, then slide the chassis back under the motor. Went smooth...
Old 02-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #83
yachtsmanbill

This guy has a 25 frame with a 26 steering column... no biggy right? I changed out the steering column frame mount for a 26 that looked way better. Only one out of the three holes lined up. This was just for grins anyway. Im gonna make a new bracket for the mount and put it above the frame rail which will pivot the column at the firewall and lower the wheel accordingly. Needed the motor in first blah blah blah... ws

bolts are breakingly tite!

the side hole is off almost an inch!

needed the full weight on the front to check the caster. Still holding at about 8 degrees
Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #84
yachtsmanbill

Sometimes it good to play make believe aint it? Pat cant wait for her first driving lesson! ws

FLOOR IT BABY !!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #85
[email protected]

Very impressive Will. I'm making this short cause I'm headed back out to the shop.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #86
yachtsmanbill

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I hope yer feelin' better !! ws
Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #87
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
GOOD FOR YOU!!! I hope yer feelin' better !! ws
I was but standing still at that sandblaster took it's toll on my back and my foot feels like it's got that knife sticking in it again. But I did get some work done. I'm hoping to be done with all the cleaning and scrubbing and get to the good stuff. I hope to be measuring clearance and making a list of parts for Mr Loso to look into ordering for me. I'm really feeling a lot better now that I've been out in the shop for awhile. But now I need another beer and some supper. Then my evening nap.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #88
[email protected]

I might add that as I'm working out in the shop I'm dreaming ahead to the day when I've got my touring car to where it needs to be and I'm able to start working on my tudor. But then the touring needs some work beyond the motor and transmission. I also need to get my bows done and get a top put on it and also respoke the wheels. The tudor I see being left to look pretty much as it is. Do some work to get it running better, put a new radiator in it. A new top and some decent original seats. I might fix the rear windows so I can roll them up and down, put new glass in the drivers door and the back window to get rid of the bullet hole in it and possible respoke the wheels on it. I've seen a lot of T's lately but I believe there is no way I'd ever trade either one of my T's for anything else that's out there. One thing I might have to do is get a tommy gun to lay in the back seat of the sedan when I'm driving it around. Damn prohibition anyway.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #89
yachtsmanbill

Is that foot pain nerve related or a Johnson Fracture... kinda like a bunnion outthe side of yer foot only different?
I got one and after a few hours feel crippled!

Couldnt get my game on today, so just spent an hour or two cleaning and painting some stuff. Also adjusted the parking brake lever to clear the pedals. Another pre 26 frame anomoly... ws

Old 02-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #90
yachtsmanbill

Also joined the fan club LOL... ws

Ya better getcher rear end in gear Garrison... whats the deal on those wire wheels? ws
Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #91
[email protected]

You tell me what the deal is on them. What are you offering. As I told you I don't want to break any federal laws by bring young ladies across state lines. I don't care how pretty or scantily dressed they are. As I said I want to get what I've got into them ($1200.00) back out of them. And I was serious about taking Model t related if it's something I really might be interested in or guns or ??? Make your offer. There's nothing I'd like better than to load those wheels and hubs into my truck and haul them over there and have a chance to look at The Polinator. You know that by attending 4 hours worth of training you could buy an M1 garand still packed in cosmoline for $165.00 back in the late '80's/early '90's. I think now they're going from $500.00 to $600.00 apiece.

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-12-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added som additional info.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #92
fordman67

Oh....my wire wheels....the humanity...shot to the ol heart...hahahaha the polinator needs them!
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #93
yachtsmanbill

Just for some fun...I kinda thought that I needed to interject some humor here... If you dont smile when you see this, theres something wrong, very wrong... ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMEoll6XQU0
Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #94
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Just for some fun...I kinda thought that I needed to interject some humor here... If you dont smile when you see this, theres something wrong, very wrong... ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMEoll6XQU0
Yep, My Dad could play a lot of musical instruments from the harmonica, guitar and piano to drums and accordian. I can almost play the radio. I do collect a few guitars but can barely play a few chords on them. But the Twinnies, that's a whole different deal. And you're right I smiled.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #95
yachtsmanbill

Glad it made your day!

I went out to the shop with the intention of cutting and inserting a "drop" in the tierod where its hitting the front motor mount. Not a biggy, but since I moved the axle/cross member forward 3 inches, its in the way. So before I cut anything, I check the toe in. Its supposed to be like 3/8 toe in and its actually about 3/4 toe OUT... Glad I found out now...
So instead, I was looking at the new X member and decided to stiffen it up a bit. Fitted some plates on the top rails with bolts to locate them, then welded it up. Grind to fit and paint to match. I amaze my own self sometimes... ws

First move, the X member was up against the original and bolted tight.

Had to move the new one another 1=1/2 inch forward for radiator to spring clamp clearance issues

That left an unsupported gap that was sure to flex!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #96
yachtsmanbill

The two stiffeners were the answer. Bolted in place for accuracy then welded solid. Looks as good as the rest... ws

Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #97
yachtsmanbill

Looks good for cutting the stock out of plate with a porta band eh?

Mailman showed up with my custom made wires. Ebay guy sells sets all the time for $12. I contacted him and ordered black with yellow, soldered coil box contacts and rubber boots for the plug ends. My new plugs have posts and wont take the clip on ends... well look right anyway. Total cost was $10 plus shipping. Pretty cool!!

Sure hope the peckernator runs as good as its gonna look!

Then the UPS guy shows up at the garage. Thought the wife sent him back, but she swears she didnt know he was even there. Damn watchdogs slept through it too! He wheels in my four almost new tires. $150 for four tires with tubes. Theres still goo on them from where the tread stickers were at. Not a single crack anywhere! So now some guy wants the wood wheels for a wire wheel set trade... should I??? LOL

Gonna go make a Willy Special pizza for dinner...
Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #98
yachtsmanbill

Well, after two days of hit-n-miss I finally got the offset tie rod to clear the motor mount... some welding will ensue. I have a better, longer, replacement drag link coming tomorrow (!) but did try the one I have and found it to be hitting the T bone on the passenger side (after being forced onto the ball) and the snout on the oil pan. The steering arm looks close as is, but Ill hafta mount the bracket on the frame to be sure.
That bracket is gonna get mounted on the TOP frame rail with an additional piece of angle iron mounted there for the side bolt. Raising the front almost 3 inches and pivoting the column at the fire wall will essentially lower the wheel, hopefully a few inches anyway. This is what you encounter when modifitificating a tried and true system.
Got company showing up tomorrow around noon for T-talk and a mammal meat lunch, so Ill hafta clean up the shop in the morning. ws

offset tie rod compared to OEM unit.

First attempt put the bar in the way of the drag link.

second attempt put it where it needs to go. It just touches the mount with the wheels hard over
Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #99
yachtsmanbill

The next trick is going to be making an offset drag link to clear all the other stuff. The lower ball is on a taper. If it werent, I could flip the end upside down and clear all the stuff. No such luck. Geometry is going to play a big part in this one! Algebra took me 4 years, but an early career as an off road equipment draftsman helped a lot. Lots more to go. Gotta mock up a firewall to position the column before the linkage gets made. ws

end forced onto the ball

drag link resting on T bone and pinched on the oil pan

gonna be a close call!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #100
yachtsmanbill

Just some logistics pics. ws