Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
jimvette59

Default 27 27 roadster deck lid

Can any body post detailed pictures of a roadster deck lid. I am trying to make one after looking for the holy grail for over 2 years. Thanks for your help.

Need 26 27 roadster deck lid.

Last edited by jimvette59; 01-10-2011 at 08:31 AM.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: 27 27 roadster deck lid

So why not just buy one? Or look on ebay.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Willie in Houston

Howells Sheet Metal has the complete 26/27 deck lid or just the metal skin.
Their web site is fordor.com Good prices
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
zzlegend

Jim. I just picked up a very nice original roadster turtle deck with the original decklid. Saving it for another future build i hope. Paid alot for it, but like you said, they are very hard to find. But i have been building my 27 roadster for about a year now and about 6 months ago i bought a repoped one from Howells sheet metal. It looks good but i have not mounted it yet so cant say much about the fitment. Check it out for yourself. Good luck, Mark.

http://www.fordor.com/category.cfm?s...odelt&cat=1926 1927 Ford Model T Roadster and Roadster Pickup&sort=title
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
jimvette59

Thank you all for your help. ZZ I didn't know Howells had pictures of both sides of the inner panel in there catalog. Being retired and having more time than dollars is a challenge.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
Thank you all for your help. ZZ I didn't know Howells had pictures of both sides of the inner panel in there catalog. Being retired and having more time than dollars is a challenge.
Hey Jim, retired here also for 8 years now and i to am starting to realize those challenges. But i fiqure if i wake up every day and can work on my roadster,,,,,then maybe life aint so bad. By the way, when i ordered mine from howells, i called and talked directly to the wife and placed an order. If you search around you will find that some people are not happy with some of their parts but this is the second piece i bought from them and have been satisfied. The first piece was the lower piece on the turtle deck just below the deck lid. Good luck with yours Jim. Mark.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
jimvette59

I too have purchased the lower panel at 45.00 and find it ok but about 500.00 for the deck lid is a little over the top for me. I may purchase the top skin. I would rather restore a original or make one. Thanks Mark.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
trosa54

I purchased the inner and outer 26/27 lid from howells, will be fitting up soon. I would be interested in any input about this product fit. Anyone done one up yet?
trosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Willie in Houston

If you think Howell's is expensive for the roadster deck lid, check Snyders. They have a fiberglass lid for $800 for a 26/27 roadster. I about fell out of my chair when I read the price. Page T-64 in the 2009 catalog.
Snyders on most items have a fair price, I am not trying to give them a bad rap.
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Model T Monte

ZZlegend, The deck lid I got from Howells fit really nice but the skin needs to be tacked to the inner frame to keep it from flexing so much. Monte
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model T Monte View Post
ZZlegend, The deck lid I got from Howells fit really nice but the skin needs to be tacked to the inner frame to keep it from flexing so much. Monte
Hey Monte, Yes i noticed that when i first received it and took it out of the box to inspect it. It does need to welded or tacked here and there. I was going to install it and get it centered and then go under neath and tack it in place so it is square and fits. Did you have any trouble lining yours up or tacking it?
And jimvette, yes they are a little pricey but after all the running around i did looking for an original, i thought what the heck, and bought one. It looks fairly decent to, in my opinion. And then i came across this original one a couple of months ago, but like i said, i had to pay alot for it. Probably to much but sense i am getting old and somewhat senile i might forget what i paid in a couple of more weeks. Mark.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
Model T Monte

ZZlegend, What I had the most trouble with was the panel below the deck lid. repo skin on orig. inner panel. took some doing and will never be a show car with out some major changes. My boys can worry about all that when I`m gone if they want. lol
Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
zzlegend

Monte, ya i had to hand massage and fit lower panel also. Luckily my buddy has a large spot welder and we managed to reinstall it and weld it almost like was originally.
Your boys sound kinda like my son. He comes over to the house about every 3 days to check my pulse and then he walks out mingle and look at my old cars. Go fiqure. Mark.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
Model T Monte

Out of four boys I have two that are semi interested, and one two year old grandson that loves the ogah. He may be the one gets them. lol
Old 01-12-2011, 04:45 AM   #15
fordcragar

I looked around for a while as well, for a trunk lid and ended up buying a whole turtle deck with lid. I only paid $500 for the whole thing.

Send me a PM with your phone number and a good time to call.

Larry
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #16
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model T Monte View Post
Out of four boys I have two that are semi interested, and one two year old grandson that loves the ogah. He may be the one gets them. lol
Monte, its sounds like you are very lucky to have a grandson like that. About another ten years and you can start giving him driving lessons. lol
Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #17
Model T Monte

ZZlegend, Already have. He gets on my lap an away we go out in the country. He`s really not to bad, but corners are fun. lol We both drive pretty slow nowadays!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #18
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Hey Monte, Yes i noticed that when i first received it and took it out of the box to inspect it. It does need to welded or tacked here and there. I was going to install it and get it centered and then go under neath and tack it in place so it is square and fits. Did you have any trouble lining yours up or tacking it?
And jimvette, yes they are a little pricey but after all the running around i did looking for an original, i thought what the heck, and bought one. It looks fairly decent to, in my opinion. And then i came across this original one a couple of months ago, but like i said, i had to pay alot for it. Probably to much but sense i am getting old and somewhat senile i might forget what i paid in a couple of more weeks. Mark.
If the lid is anything like Brookville's lid for the Model A, that's exactly why it is not spot welded. You need to make it fit the turtle deck, then spot it so it fits. Be nice if they sent instructions to inform customers of this.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #19
Ray Parson

i got a set of 26/27 roadster 1/4 panels off ebay paid 178.00 with shipping then the guy said he had a lid that may go with the 1/4s he said he did not know what it fit nor did he know what the 1/4 were for i got the lid for 100.00 and yes its a 26/27roadster i just love it when the ebay sellers dont know what there selling
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #20
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
If the lid is anything like Brookville's lid for the Model A, that's exactly why it is not spot welded. You need to make it fit the turtle deck, then spot it so it fits. Be nice if they sent instructions to inform customers of this.
James you are correct. Thanks for additional info. Instructions or some sort of information would be nice. Would hate to see someone tack one together first and then not have it fit properly. Mark.

Ray,,,,,,You got a heck of a deal. These lids are really hard to find. Mark.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #21
jimvette59

Thank you all I started to fabricate one and I still may wind up buying one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0076.JPG (155.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0077.JPG (209.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0078.JPG (138.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0079.JPG (191.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #22
trosa54

My Howell's below deck lid panel...3/8" too wide, 5/8 too deep.
trosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #23
jimvette59

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosa54 View Post
My Howell's below deck lid panel...3/8" too wide, 5/8 too deep.
I got this one from Langs Antique Auto. Looks good.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #24
Wingfield

And it fit? Good for you!
Wingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #25
zzlegend

Keep us updated on you decklid Jim. Hope it works out for you. Mark.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #26
jimvette59

Hey Mark I got a skin from LANGS it looks ok I had to reverse the inner frame and reweld it. I have three houses to take care of, two are mine and on is a customers that pays for some of my habits !!!!! I don't have much time to play lately. Who ever said retirement is easy? I used to sit on my ass, give orders and make out work schedules. Now it is all do it your self.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #27
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
Hey Mark I got a skin from LANGS it looks ok I had to reverse the inner frame and reweld it. I have three houses to take care of, two are mine and on is a customers that pays for some of my habits !!!!! I don't have much time to play lately. Who ever said retirement is easy? I used to sit on my ass, give orders and make out work schedules. Now it is all do it your self.
Jim. I understand where you are coming from. During my last 13 years on the job i was a line crew forman. Just point my finger and let them do the work. Now my wife is pointing at me and telling me to get the honeydos done, and on top of that i am trying to finish my roadster. Not enough time in the day and life seems to short. By the way if you need any pictures of a stock deck lid to help you progress yours, just le me know. I have a decent turtle deck with an original decklid that i could photograph for you. Mark.