Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Magneto Headlight Bulbs

I was wondering - in the 15, I have a pair of original Mazda bulbs, the ones *for* a mag-lighted car. Right now, I get almost the same lighting i get from my modern iron (I was surporised at this one!!), but I know, eventually, they will go out.

The question is this - when one of these beautied finally "go", is there a modern replacement for them?I'd really like to keep the original electrics on the headlights, and not switch to a battery (they work that good!)

OK, along the same lines (kind of) - I have been trying to find a way to run electrics to my taillight (I have bad luck with oil lights going out), and I found a thingy at Kragens (same as Checker, for those not out here) that is sold as a "shielded License Plate Light" that fits *perfectly* (once you take off the shield and plastic cover) in the chimney of the oil lamps... SInce they were 12 volts, I decided to try my luck powering it from the mag, and it worked well until I went down a hill abd blew it out. It is a single Contact bulb, the next size down from the HL socket... again, any idea what might work there to, again, power it off the mag? (I don't have enough battery to try to power it off the battery).

TIA,

:~) Susanne

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Magneto Headlight Bulbs

There is a guy in Austrailia that makes the bulb your looking for. As I understand it they are modern halogen bulbs with the correct base to fit the headlight an it seems like somebody told me they are around $25 a pair. I book marked the web page on my computer at home. If you do a search for vintage bulb you will probably find him. I was going to buy a pair and them I ran across four original type at a swap meet for $4 so I bought them.

Have you considered a gell cell battery which is very small and can be mounted in any position to power your other lights? You could charge this from the mag with a diode in between also.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Still no help :~(... the volt rating he goes up to is only 12... the OEM "Mazda" bulbs are rated at 18 - I tried 12V bulbs and they blew quick... as soon as the mag voltage went over about 14.

I was thinking of an aircraft bulb (28 V) but (1) I don't know if they'd be bright enough, and (2) I don't know which would have a double contact non-grounded bayonet fitting.

Were it just a bit newer, or I could somehow figure a (safe) way to charge a battery, all would be cool, and I'd run 12v lighting (I've done that for tail and brake lights already) but headlights would sink my battery in under an hour... and I drive my car too much for an hour only of lights!

So... if anyone has any other ideas... I'd even build them myself (like the Aussie gent) *if* I could find the halogen units that were high enough voltage. (I think there *would* be a market for this - limited, but still...)

TIA again,

:~) Sue

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Hi

If I recall correctly on MTFCI forum a while back Reid Welch was discussing some company that he had discovered that had some bulbs that may be compatible. I don't know if they were double or single contact though. You could try posting on that forum I am sure he will see it as he is on it almost every day, or you could do a search for former posts.

Cam

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Are you wiring them in series? If wired in parrallel they will in fact blow quickly above 12 volts. Ford originally wired them in series and I'm not sure what year they began to put a choke coil (inductor) in the system to improve the life of the bulbs.

I you have true mag bulbs and they are wired correctly, they will be pretty dim at low RPM and brighten up with speed. They may also blow at a high engine speed with a strong mag but they should not go out at 14 volts.