Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Ford20

Default Question of species of timber for Model T woodwork

Greetings to all from DownUnder, (Australia). I am restoring a 1920 T Ford Roadster and was wanting to know what type of timber is the best to use for all the timber framing.

There are a few types of imported timber available here, and one type I see mentioned a lot is "ASH", so I'm leaning towards that but just thought I'd seek expert advice before I decide.

Also, can anyone supply me with a picture of how the main timber runner is mounted to the chassis? I have seen 2 ways, on edge and on the flat, this may be due to various body styles.

My body is of course an Australian make and differs somewhat from the American version but all information is appreciated.

I've only recently joined the Ford Barn and am enjoying the experience.

Appreciate any help and suggestions
Cheers,
Geoff
Ford20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
Ab4875

Default Re: Question of species of timber for Model T woodwork

Hi Geoff, What body do you have on your car? Where in Australia are you located?

You might get a faster response posting on the Model T Ford Forum.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1388817768

The Fordbarn is very active for Model A and early V8 but a bit quiet in the Model T stuff.

Andrew
Ab4875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #3
Ford20

Smile Re: Question of species of timber for Model T woodwork

Hello Andrew, Many thanks for your reply. I actually live just outside of Mt. Morgan which is approx. 30 klms from Rockhampton. I have a 1920 Model T Ford which is mechanically complete also has all 4 guards, low radiator and bonnet all correct for the year but very little bodywork.

My bodywork consists of a cowl, both side panels to the front seat area and the straight piece between them but no doors, all of which require a lot of work. Easy path would be to turn it into a ute, which I may have to until I can source better body panels.

I'm not actually new to restoring as I've been in the hobby for more than 40 years, and although I am a carpenter and have always done my own woodwork using mainly Australian timbers, I thought it would be nice to get some advice from fellow enthusiasts and maybe try some imported timbers.

Many thanks for your reply and suggestions, all greatly appreciated,
Cheers,
Geoff
Old 08-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
Jack Innes

If it is available, Ash is the easiest wood to work with & has better functional properties than Oak or other hardwoods. Many upper end auto makers used Ash exclusively.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
J Franklin

Aw go ahead man, Eucalyptus!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Ford20

Hello Jack Innes and J Franklin, Thank you both for your advice and recommendations.

I can get Eucalyptus and also an ash species here in Australia, but would like to try an imported Timber just for a new experience.

I've checked what's available here in Queensland and I can get an imported "White Ash" so I think that's the way I might go.

I've never been on Forums before so please forgive me if I stuff things up, it's also a new experience.

Thanks again for your replies, very much appreciated,
Geoff. Rogers
Old 08-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
Ab4875

Hi Geoff,

I sent you a private message with a Queensland contact for Model Ts.

Can you post a few photos of your car on the forum?

Thanks

Andrew
Ab4875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #8
piewagon

I restored a 1912 Delivery Car (a really rare original artifact) so I sent samples of the various body wood parts to the US Forestry service. They had a service that allowed the public to send up to 5 samples for analysis. They needed only a piece 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/2" which they would burn and then analyze the ashes to determine exact species. The body ribs and frame were all made from Hard Maple. Incidentally ALL of the wood blocks used to mount things to the frame such as steering wood block, Running Board blocks. Fender to running board blocks...etc were ALL made from Hard Maple and it says so on the factory drawings which I HAVE in my possession. The side rear door jambs on the Delivery Car were in fact Hard Elm but the forestry service stated that this species was often sold together with Hard Maple as the same species since its properties were nearly identical and it was difficult to separate the species if mixed. Incidentally Floor Boards for early T's through about 1915 were specified as ASH but by the black era and peak production years, almost any wood at all was allowed for floor boards including Linderman stock which was scrap wood of random lengths and widths that was glued together by a Linderman machine - not to be confused with plywood. White Oak was specified for top bows probably because white oak is the easiest wood of all to steam bend. Poplar was never used so far as any original cars I have seen but many people say it WAS used and I suspect that is because it is clear and sold cheap at any of the big box home improvement stores. Technically Poplar is not a hardwood anyway I don't think. I have a few brass cars and a 1923 Driver Touring car and all of the wood in those bodies used for framework is Hard Maple. I buy a lot of hard maple because ALL model T coils had finger jointed boxes made from Hard Maple and again that is on the drawings that I have here on file. Hard Maple is stable and smooth with not many knots but is difficult to steam bend when compared to White Oak but they did bend it to make top slats on the Delivery car and mild bends are not overly difficult to accomplish with it using regular steam methods.
piewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
Coupeute

Thanks Pie wagon for the good info.
Coupeute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
Ford20

Thanks Pie wagon for sharing your information, was also an interesting read.
Cheers from DownUnder,
Geoff.