Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
NZ28ModelA

Default What revs at 60MPH

Hi Guys,

I have read the quote from Henry Ford on the introduction of the Model A where he states " The new Ford will ride comfortably at fifty and sixty miles an hour."

Now even with my rebuilt and balanced new engine, I really don't feel comfortable having it sit on 60 for any length of time.. If I can get it up there at all..

I was just wondering what revs is a standard car doing at 60mph?? Is it close to the red line??
Are you comfortable driving your standard car at 60?? Like I said, mine is rebuilt and balanced, and i don't feel I am even close to sitting comfortably at 60..

Thanks

Steve
NZ28ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
Ruth

Default Re: What revs at 60MPH

On paper it calc out to ~2600 RPM at 60 MPH with the stock 3.78 rear gear and 4.75/5.00 x 19 tires.

I don't feel comfortable driving that fast in a Model A anyway. 45-50 is where I (and my Town Sedan) like to be.

Last edited by Ruth; 10-31-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
RUNNERBUN

Forget your speedo, forget your rev counter. Just drive at your comfortable speed. Listen to your car, it will tell you what your comfortable speed is. Enjoy your ride.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post
Forget your speedo, forget your rev counter. Just drive at your comfortable speed. Listen to your car, it will tell you what your comfortable speed is. Enjoy your ride.
This is really good advice!
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
Jim M

X2! I feel very comfortable at 40-45. Unfortunately that is the speed most people turn into Walmart!! I don't like the 4 lane roads and try to stick to the two lane back roads. I enjoy it much more and you get a lot of waves from friends in yards as they watch you puttt by.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
Conaway2

With stock brakes, I wouldn’t want to drive any faster than 45 mph....
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:47 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ28ModelA View Post
Hi Guys,

I have read the quote from Henry Ford on the introduction of the Model A where he states " The new Ford will ride comfortably at fifty and sixty miles an hour."

Thanks

Steve
Remember, Henry was all about selling as many cars as he could.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:18 AM   #8
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
X2! I feel very comfortable at 40-45. Unfortunately that is the speed most people turn into Walmart!! I don't like the 4 lane roads and try to stick to the two lane back roads. I enjoy it much more and you get a lot of waves from friends in yards as they watch you puttt by.
We visit a friend in Sebastian and the folks there are friendly!
Bruce of MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #9
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
With stock brakes, I wouldn’t want to drive any faster than 45 mph....
It is my opinion (for what ever it's worth) that a model A with brakes in proper working condition is limited in stopping power by the small tire foot print rather than the brakes at any speed, assuming the tires have good tread.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #10
DGNY

There are four main variables. Here is a calculator, if your speedometer is accurate, you can measure/figure your as-running tire diameter and know differential ratio:

http://advanced-ev.com/Calculators/TireSize/

Last edited by DGNY; 11-01-2019 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Clarity
DGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
It is my opinion (for what ever it's worth) that a model A with brakes in proper working condition is limited in stopping power by the small tire foot print rather than the brakes at any speed, assuming the tires have good tread.

John
I would agree with John. However, "proper working condition" would have to be defined as being able to slide all 4 tires evenly. To do that, you would have to adjust the brakes differently than Ford instructed.

Stock adjustment instructions have the rear brakes coming on first and the rear wheels sliding first. In fact, the front wheels are not supposed to slide if the brakes are adjusted to the instructions.

Since the weight shifts to the front of the car upon braking, the fronts need to come on first in order to have all 4 wheels fully involved in the braking process right up to 4 wheel lock up. All automakers changed to this process soon after the Model A era. On newer cars, the front brakes are always bigger than the rear brakes and braking force is hydraulically proportioned more to the front to accomplish this.

With the Model A brakes adjusted so that all 4 wheels will slide at the same time during brake pedal travel, then the tire footprint will be the limiting factor in stopping distance. The shortest stopping distance will be with pedal force just prior to lock up.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #12
kooljunkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
X2! I feel very comfortable at 40-45. Unfortunately that is the speed most people turn into Walmart!!
So true!!
We're in a much faster paced world now than when our cars were new..... everyone's in such a hurry....
kooljunkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #13
Bob Bidonde

Model A's must meet 4 criteria, or I consider them deficient and unsafe:
1. Be able to panic stop by locking-up all 4 wheels;
2. Cruise at 55 mph with some throttle remaining;
3. Have working turn signals;
4. Must have modern lighting, i.e., LED tail lights and halogen or LED headlights.
Your Model A needs to be able to lockup all 4 wheels in an emergency stop. If it cannot, or you are afraid to jam-on its brakes, these pose serious driving hazards.
Driving below 50 mph in traffic is hazardous.
If you consider those skinny Model A tires unsafe, then put V8 wheels and tires on your Model A.
Hand signals and incandescent tail lights are dangerous in traffic.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
Jim Brierley

Almost everyone that drives over 45 or 50 has an overdrive.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Almost everyone that drives over 45 or 50 has an overdrive.

My guess they also have - had the motor built for touring, radials, seat belts, turn signals, top notch brakes (Randy Gross, or know how to do the brake work themselves), etc. All mechanicals in top notch condition. Need most of these for safe driving at those speeds.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #16
Kurt in NJ

Anytime I try to drive 45 i end up over 50----the second day after I rebuilt it I knew it would go 67, I have original stock head, no overdrive, have driven over 65 all day ---been trying to break it for the last 30 years ---now that the 50 year old tires are almost bald I am putting on radials ----and perhaps a columbia ---I think 67 is something like 3200 rpm, soon I plan to go through it and will expect 70---and I think there is a 75 on the dial I hope to see
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #17
WHN

60 plus years of owning Model A’s and I have never been over 50 mph, never.

I respect everyone saying that they drive all day at ???, but remember these cars are now 90 years old. They are true antiques.

There has been a rash of WWII plane crashes lately. Including one at Bradley involving a B17. We were at the airport awaiting our flight when that happened.

The point I would like to make is that no matter how well restored your car or plane is, they are still Antiques. There are many very good reasons that air planes and motor cars have changed over the years. To many to list here.

Put your Model A next to a 2020 car. Which one would you really truly feel safe driving at 67 mph on a highway.

I would like to think that most of these conversations are war stories or fairy tails.

Enjoy your car for what it is.

Last edited by WHN; 11-03-2019 at 06:38 AM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #18
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
Anytime I try to drive 45 i end up over 50----the second day after I rebuilt it I knew it would go 67, I have original stock head, no overdrive, have driven over 65 all day ---been trying to break it for the last 30 years ---now that the 50 year old tires are almost bald I am putting on radials ----and perhaps a columbia ---I think 67 is something like 3200 rpm, soon I plan to go through it and will expect 70---and I think there is a 75 on the dial I hope to see
50 year old bald tires at 67 MPH?

Please let me know when you are driving the car. I don't want me or my family near you.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #19
Dirtrack49

WHN, spot on.
I have a 1926 Model T Touring that I feel comfortable at 25 to 30. It will do more, but it is not a very good feeling when someone pulls in front of you and hits their brakes! You also need to take in account that the T, has not only awful brakes compared to a modern car, it also has a plate glass windshield and no seat belts.
My A, feels comfortable at 45. Yes, it will go faster, however, I have no seat belts in it, nor care to think how well the brakes may work in a panic stop.
When I think about the different eras of cars, I feel more comfortable as I go through the decades. For example, my favorite vehicle is a 1966 Mercedes 230SL. It is getting close to what some may consider modern, but let me assure you, that I drive it like it were an antique. There is noway this car can compare to something made in this century.
As far as planes are concerned, same thing. My 1946 Piper J3, hardly compares to my Van's RV4. And for that matter, the RV4 is kind of getting old at 31.
The truth of the matter is, everyone really needs to stop and think what kind of performance they should expect from an antique motor driven vehicle, before they venture out into the real world.
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #20
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post

I thought 2200 - 2400 was max safe RPM on an A stock motor.

Yes, No?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote