Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Gwill65074

Default Rarity of 1929 Roadster w/ folding windshield?

I have been told that a friend of mine's 1929 Roadster with a folding windshield is very rare. With all of the research I have done I can only find that this windshield did not come out until 1930. Is it possible that some of the very late '29 models came out with it at the time the '30 starting production? Looking at it, I cannot tell that it was added as after market and the arms are nickel plated. Can anyone explain if this car is indeed rare or if someone spoke out of turn to my friend?
Gwill65074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Rarity of 1929 Roadster w/ folding windshield?

These folding windshield posts for a '28-29 open car were manufactured in the 1970's and sold pretty well. One can still see advertisements in old "Restorer" magazines from that era. As usual, the prices seem cheap now, but were relatively expensive then.
I believe I have also seen folding windshield posts for these cars in 1930's-1940's advertisements, such as in Floyd Clymer's nostalgic accessories books.
At any rate, they did NOT come from the factory this way! MAYBE...MAYBE...a dealer installed a set for a customer, but that would have to be considered a real rarity.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 09-04-2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: forgotten word
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Gwill65074

Thanks
Gwill65074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
Ian in Mississauga

I believe Ford of Canada offered this option in late 1929.
Ian in Mississauga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
These folding windshield posts for a '28-29 open car were manufactured in the 1970's and sold pretty well. One can still see advertisements in old "Restorer" magazines from that era. As usual, the prices seem cheap now, but were relatively expensive then.
I believe I have also seen folding windshield posts for these cars in 1930's-1940's advertisements, such as in Floyd Clymer's nostalgic accessories books.
At any rate, they did NOT come from the factory this way! MAYBE...MAYBE...a dealer installed a set for a customer, but that would have to be considered a real rarity.
Marshall
Marshall have you ever seen those 1970s version? If it is what I bought back then, it is a sand casting, well-done, but I could never get it to fit on the cowl post, unless, apparently, I was willing to remove the bent-over sheet metal wrapped around the post originally; which I was afraid to do.

any help from the peanut gallery on this on?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
mrtexas

Back in the 30s they were also offered after market. A friend had one on his 29 roadster. I had similar experience with 70s folding posts. They didn't fit!
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
FL&WVMIKE

I had these folding 1970s 1929 W/S post on my 1929 roadster for several years. They fit pretty well. They were heavy solid brass and had nice chrome. I just did not like that much wind in my face, so I took them off. They have since been sold.
Thank you,
MIKE (mikeburch)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29wsposts.jpg (389.8 KB, 150 views)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

If anyone has one for sale, I may well be interested. Please send me a pm. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
pooch

pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:10 AM   #10
Tudortomnz

There were a few Sport Roadsters prepared & sold by West Coast US Dealers of which the photo from Pooch is of. Another one appeared at the Oct. 1929 Ford Show in San Francisco which had even more access's.
The Canadian Sport Rdstr was the official factory job .
Ford Australia also offered one but being completely built there, was not exactly the same, more a Deluxe Rdstr, & without folding ws posts
Cheers

Last edited by Tudortomnz; 09-05-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:17 AM   #11
DougVieyra

Folding windshield stantions for the '28 and '29 Ford Model A's were available as an accessory item beginning in 1929. There were at least three manufacturers of them that I know of. As I remember, a couple of them are to be seen in their advertizements, reproduced in the famous yellow paper back book, "Those Wonderful Un-Authorized Accessories", for the Ford Model A. This book shows a great many Model A accessories that were available during the 1928- 1935 period. It is a great book to have in your Ford library.

My N.O.S. set were made by Eaton Manufacturing. I bought them from a Hemmings Ad about 1965.

- Doug Vieyra
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:49 AM   #12
Marshall V. Daut

Canadian production, eh? 'Good to know. I stand corrected. My answers are always for USA Model A's. It seems as though there's a Canadian exception for every established USA Model A production fact. Mighty strange animals.
Even so, that option must not have been terribly popular in Canada because the only '28-29 folding windshield posts I have ever seen were the quasi-poorly-made chromed repo's in the 1970's. I would have thought in the 50 years I have been dabbling in Model A's that I would have seen at least a few Canadian folding post versions, as Canada ain't all that far from Iowa and we see Canadian Model A's (and T's!) down here not infrequently.
Anyway, I'll file this "new" fact away in my limited Canadian Model A memory bank. Thanks for the correction, Vince.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 09-05-2015 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Incorrect word changed
Old 09-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #13
HoarseWhisperer

Sport Roadster introduced by Ford Motor Company of Canada, Aug 24, 1929:

Fine example of Everett's 1929 Sport Roadster on the mandatory tour at the 2012 MARC meet in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #14
Marshall V. Daut

Too bad Ford didn't have this feature on ALL 1928-29 Model A open cars. That '29 Canadian Sport Roadster looks great with this option! 'Never seen that in original photos before. Where've I been??? Nice touch that gives an added dimension to the modest '28-29 open car.
Marshall
Old 09-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #15
HoarseWhisperer

Be sure to wear goggles when driving with the windshield down.

A good idea to pack toothpicks to remove the bugs in-between your teeth.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #16
frank55a

The following pictures are of a Nov 28 that I purchased in Jan of 1964 and it came from south eastern Washington. It could have originally come from Canada, I do not know. As you can see it has folding windshield posts same type as shown on Everett's 29 and the showroom photo. They were solid brass with a nickel plate. I was talking with a person at the MARC meet this past summer and he also has a Canadian Sport Roadster with folding posts and they are the same type as shown below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28post.jpg (19.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg img015.jpg (28.5 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg img016.jpg (21.6 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg img018fb.jpg (51.9 KB, 122 views)
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank55a View Post
The following pictures are of a Nov 28 that I purchased in Jan of 1964 and it came from south eastern Washington. It could have originally come from Canada, I do not know. As you can see it has folding windshield posts same type as shown on Everett's 29 and the showroom photo. They were solid brass with a nickel plate. I was talking with a person at the MARC meet this past summer and he also has a Canadian Sport Roadster with folding posts and they are the same type as shown below.
Some cool cars in that picture. Someone even has a brand new 1964 Corvair.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #18
old car guy

Back in the late sixties around 67 or 68 a guy I went to school with got his grand dads 1929 roadster. We were youngg and dumb and had no clue how nice a car it really was. But it had a folding windshield as described here. I cannot say the old man had not changed it but everything on the car was certainly like ford made it when new. It unforgently did not stay that way for long Chevy motor auto trans Van rear end bright yellow paint etc. but if he would have just left it alone what a beauty he would have had today. Sold it about 3 months into our senior year so he could get a reliable new car. A 6 cylinder ford maverick I believe he got 400 dollars for it then.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #19
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Too bad Ford didn't have this feature on ALL 1928-29 Model A open cars. That '29 Canadian Sport Roadster looks great with this option! 'Never seen that in original photos before. Where've I been??? Nice touch that gives an added dimension to the modest '28-29 open car.
Marshall
These Canadian Sport Rdstrs were not numerous & probably aimed at the export markets.
When announced the Ontario factory sent out photos to Overseas Dealers & gave shipping prices per car ''in a box''.
The Canadian export records show exports in late '29, most went to Malaya [ The Malay Peninsular with Singapore]but a few went to East Africa / Sth Africa, the latter a wealthy country which received a lot of Model A's. India must have got some too [ The Raj had money].

Your comment re Canadian facts is interesting as I sometimes wonder if posts [ from outside the US] on international Ford Production are of any interest on FB. Maybe novelty factor.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #20
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz;

Your comment re Canadian facts is interesting as I sometimes wonder if posts [ from outside the US
on international Ford Production are of any interest on FB. Maybe novelty factor.
Tom,

In my book, the export Model A is one of the most interesting subjects on Ford Barn. I have an unrestored early 1930 Canadian Phaeton. Came to Alaska in 1959, Dawson City to Fairbanks. It was not an export, per-se.

Darryl in Fairbanks, recovering from a broke hip, 8 weeks.

Last edited by darrylkmc; 09-05-2015 at 11:46 PM. Reason: needed it
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote