Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
26or27

Default 1936 Ford Roadster Fiberglass Body

Is anyone familiar with the JB Donaldson fiberglass body for 1936 Ford roadster? I would like to verify the quality.
26or27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
36tbird

Default Re: 1936 Ford Roadster Fiberglass Body

I have been working 10 years on my '36 roadster project that has a Fairlane body (they are now out of business). (The long term of this build does not reflect on the quality of the body, I finished 2 other cars during that time.) My recommendation is that you take a trip to Phoenix and visit their facility and look at the body in person to make your judgement. Also, check with other guys who have built f-cars and see what they like and dislike in their bodies. Bracing is the most important part. In my case, I wanted a rumble seat and I did not realize that there was no bracing or anything between the rumble area and the passenger compartment. I had to build that in and I would have had them do that had I realized it before. Also, I had to build support in the rear for a stock spare tire carrier. Good luck.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Karl Wescott

36tbird's advise is spot on. Visit JB's and make your own decision.

I would welcome a phone call to discuss what we do, and why we do it to achieve the quality of fiberglass we sell to help with background information for your decision. JB will agree with much of it, disagree with some, and use other methods to achieve some.

As 36tbird also notes, having provisions for features in the completed car can be a critical time saver for the assembler, and often cost little during manufacture. Develop a fairly complete plan of what you want in the finished car so you can discuss your needs with JB.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
26or27

I assumed that you don't make a 36 roadster body because its not on your website. Do you have it available?
26or27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

Try doing a search here as I believe there was a lengthy thread about them a while back.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

You are probably not going to get much better info then the two replies you already have.
There was a fellow Barner at this years Bash in Florida who pulled in with a '36 Roadster hotrod. I am not an expert on fiberglass bodies but it took me two days of traveling along with this Roadster to realize it was actually a fiberglass body. I don't know if the owner built or bought that car but if/when I remember his posting name I will let you know in case you would want to pm him for his input.

His posting name here is...KM/ROADSTERS
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WDSCN2181_zpsf90f0cee.jpeg (113.5 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpeg 042_zps815c8229.jpeg (141.1 KB, 376 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-19-2014 at 10:10 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
Karl Wescott

We do not make one... I was offering general information so you could make an informed decision.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
TJ

The original glass '36 roadsters and phaetons were made by Pat Mooney in Albion ,Washington. At some point the molds etc. were sold to Fairlane Automotive. I believe they are no longer in business. I think JB Donaldson may be the only one that makes them now. The ones by Mooney were steel framed inside, much like the bodies made by Wescott. I built a Mooney bodied car some years a go and it was a pretty good product.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Cornerlot

Pat Mooney developed his roadster bodies in the early-1980's. These Mooney bodies were designed to replace steel bodies, and looked identical in most details. By 1991 Mooney had sold out to Mike Milano after building 60 bodies. Both owners used the "Automotive Specialites" company name, but the products had changed greatly after the move to Milano. Cost reducing the labor for the molds and jigs had missaligned the bodies, and resulted in real quality issues with the product. Mike Milano sold everything to Keith Ashley of Fairlane by 1994, and Keith ended up redoing most of the molds and jigs to address these issues. Ashley shut down Fairlane a few years ago, and recently the molds and jigs were sold (for pennies on the dollar) to a shop in the Southeast region who intends to restart production.

But, those original Mooney bodies are built in the Wescott style and are of very high quality. I have one on the road now (and for sale too).

Other than JB Donaldson, Heritage Hotrods and Deuce Customs in Australia make roadster bodies.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
The original glass '36 roadsters and phaetons were made by Pat Mooney in Albion ,Washington. At some point the molds etc. were sold to Fairlane Automotive. I believe they are no longer in business. I think JB Donaldson may be the only one that makes them now. The ones by Mooney were steel framed inside, much like the bodies made by Wescott. I built a Mooney bodied car some years a go and it was a pretty good product.
Cornerlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
Palouse Milano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerlot View Post
Pat Mooney developed his roadster bodies in the early-1980's. These Mooney bodies were designed to replace steel bodies, and looked identical in most details. By 1991 Mooney had sold out to Mike Milano after building 60 bodies. Both owners used the "Automotive Specialites" company name, but the products had changed greatly after the move to Milano. Cost reducing the labor for the molds and jigs had missaligned the bodies, and resulted in real quality issues with the product. Mike Milano sold everything to Keith Ashley of Fairlane by 1994, and Keith ended up redoing most of the molds and jigs to address these issues. Ashley shut down Fairlane a few years ago, and recently the molds and jigs were sold (for pennies on the dollar) to a shop in the Southeast region who intends to restart production.

But, those original Mooney bodies are built in the Wescott style and are of very high quality. I have one on the road now (and for sale too).

Other than JB Donaldson, Heritage Hotrods and Deuce Customs in Australia make roadster bodies.

Steve
Per the post from Cornerlot on the sale of Automotive Specialties. I, Mike Milano, did NOT buy the business or build poor quality bodies. My work on the bodies ended with the sale of Automotive Specialties by Pat to a party in south/central WA. I too heard of the quality issues related the work AFTER the business was first sold, but that work was NOT done by me!!
Palouse Milano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
Cornerlot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palouse Milano View Post
Per the post from Cornerlot on the sale of Automotive Specialties. I, Mike Milano, did NOT buy the business or build poor quality bodies. My work on the bodies ended with the sale of Automotive Specialties by Pat to a party in south/central WA. I too heard of the quality issues related the work AFTER the business was first sold, but that work was NOT done by me!!
Yikes, sorry Mike! I got my 'Mike's' all mixed up. It was Mike Morris who bought out the company from Pat Mooney. Sorry to use your name.

Steve
Cornerlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
Palouse Milano

Thanks Steve... I'm a little touchy on the subject. We did some great work there.

Interesting I even read your post. I was on the hunt for another glass 35/36 roadster body too. I have a meeting with a gent soon that is interested in building one. I'm on the hunt.

Cheers,

MM
Palouse Milano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #13
hotrod1940

We have the original Pat Mooney 1936 Ford fiberglass molds.They consist of Roadster, Convertible, Cabriolet, Phaeton, and a Boattail speedster. We are building two boattails for ourselves and would be glad to pull any of the bodies for interested parties. We are retired and doing all this stuff for the fun of it and enjoying retirement. We are also building frame packages utilizing Jaguar suspensions and have completed the jigs for construction of the frames.
I would be glad to answer any questions.
Here is a photo of the boattail from our molds. It has a stylized top designed by Rikster on the HAMB in this photo and this is the photo that hooked us.
http://www.hotrodsonline.com/Photos/boattail.jpeg
hotrod1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #14
PeterC

Wow - that boat-tail is stunning!
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
Pvernon

Send a message via AIM to Pvernon

I am down in Lakeland Fl. My son is in the fiberglass business. I want a 1935 Ford Phaeton body. Will you please E- mail me about your bodies I understand you have the moulds from Fairlane.
Phil Vernon
[email protected]
863-670-0000
Pvernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #16
fasi

Negotiations are being finalized to sell the new molds for the 1936 Ford Roadster, Cabriolet and Club Cabriolet made by Fairlane Company, to a company in California, who plans to re-introduce them. More details will be forthcoming when this deal is completed. As the owner of Fairlane, it was our objective to build the strongest body structually as we could. We admired the work done by Wescott's on their bodies and used the same concept for ours. More later....
fasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #17
NYfatboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasi View Post
Negotiations are being finalized to sell the new molds for the 1936 Ford Roadster, Cabriolet and Club Cabriolet made by Fairlane Company, to a company in California, who plans to re-introduce them. More details will be forthcoming when this deal is completed. As the owner of Fairlane, it was our objective to build the strongest body structually as we could. We admired the work done by Wescott's on their bodies and used the same concept for ours. More later....
I cant wait!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #18
Charlie ny
BANNED

HR40,
I er ah whoa.....that's a jaw dropper!!!!
Edsel would be jealous.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #19
corvette8n

Does anyone make 3 or 5 window coupe bodies?
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #20
hotrod1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
HR40,
I er ah whoa.....that's a jaw dropper!!!!
Edsel would be jealous.
Charlie ny
Speaking of Edsel, we have a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr front end that we are considering putting on one of the boattails. Actually I think Bob Gregorie would be more proud than Edsel. He designed most of the coolest bodies at Ford.
hotrod1940 is offline   Reply With Quote