Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2019, 04:11 AM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default My 35 Pickup stop running?

My pickup is 12 volts when I got it and I am having trouble with the Chrysler Ballas Rester that reduce the volts to the dist. to 6 volts keep burning out. What the best. voltage reducer to use to stop having this trouble?
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:25 AM   #2
Mart

Default Re: My 35 Pickup stop running?

The coil normally has a ballast to reduce the voltage below 6V. The voltage might be too high with just one resistor.

You did not say if you have the original type coil or an external one adapted on. If an external one adapted on you can use a 12V coil with either no ballast or a ballast depending on the coil type. If original coil type, I believe you can get it rewound to use 12V. Others on here can advise on that, I've never had it done.

I don't know if there is a superior type of ballast to the Chrysler one.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:20 AM   #3
Old Redneck

I have had the truck over 10 years and it was 12 volts when I bought it. All I did was have the transmission rebuilt and a new clutch and pressure plate put in. This is the first trouble I have had with it. All my other Fords are 6 volts.I don't know if the coil is 6 or 12 volts. I am guessing its 6 volts. Lately I have burn out two Ballast Resister that was use on Chrysler products in the 70's. They were not to reliable back then. We sold a lot of them. I should put the truck back to six volts but I was going to put air condition and heat in the little ford. I only tour with it. It has 39 Steering and Juice brakes. Its just a driver.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

What is the voltage into the ballast resistor? You can always switch to a coil that doesn't require a ballast, such as the Bosh blue coil. But the ballast resistors really should not be failing, I would want to know the reason that is happening. Are all of the failures the same brand?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #5
Charlie ny
BANNED

Ken,

JSeery seems to have the solution..........if you are using a remote coil go to the Bosch Super Blue or NAPA IC 64 or IC 14. all are 12v with internal resistors.
OR

If you are using the stock coil mounted on top of the distributor have
Skip rewind that coil for 12v....Skip can advise what else is needed. He's done this
for me many times.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #6
Old Redneck

I got the coil off the 35 and not easy and on the bottom scratch on the coil 12 volts neg ground and its skip coil done in 2009. I called Skip and he told me to get a ICR23 volts reducer at Napa which I will. I still might have a wire broke somewhere else? But I have juice going to the coil but not through the restore. Skip said not to have more then 4 volts going to the coil. Thanks for your help. I feel better knowing it Skip coil. So I am going to NAPA now.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
Old Redneck

I am back from NAPA with the ICR23 Resistor and it looks like a Chrysler product resistor in appearance.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
Flathead Fever

I had to think about this for a minute. Its not something I use very often anymore.

I'm no sure how running a ballast resistor in series with an internal resister coil would burn out a ballast resister? You obviously do not want to do that because the available voltage would be too low for the coil to properly operate.

I check some sources that quoted the following resistance readings. A Chrylser ballast resister is 1.4 ohms with an additional 1.5 ohms of resistance in the primary coil windings. An internal resister coil has 3.0 ohm's of resistance. I have no idea how accurate those specifications are but I'm going to use them for reference.

Using Ohm's law 12.6V divided by 1.4 Ohms, would create a circuit with 9 amps. That is too much current for the tiny wire used in the primary winding in the coil and it would eventually burn that wire up. But in our equation we did not take into account we still have an additional 1.5 ohms of resistance in that tiny primary winding. You add the two resistances together, 12.6V divided by 2.9 ohms. That creates a circuit with 4.34 amps. Every thing on that circuit has 4.34 amps running through it. 4.34 amps would be flowing through the ballast resister and the coil primary winding. Adding resistance lowers the amperage flow which is less heat on the ballast resistor and primary coil winding.

If you used a ballast resister (1.4 ohms) along with an internal resister coil (3 ohms) that would drop the overall amperage even further. 12.6V divided by 4.4 ohms would give you 2.86 amps flowing through the circuit. The coil will not perform as it should. but the lower amperage would put less of a load on the ballast resister. I don't see how that would be the problem. If there was not enough resistance in the primary coil windings we would be at that previous 9 amp calculation, that would cause the ballast resistor it to overheat and fail.

The only other thing I can think of is faulty ballast resistors. By brand name parts. I was a fleet mechanic. I at one time we had at hundreds of Chrysler vehicles in the yard. Almost all with ballast resistors. I immediately new the problem was when they burned out. They would crank and start but then immediately quit when you stopped cranking. That's because when its cranking it is bypassing the ballast resistor for a hotter spark as soon as you release the key your back to running on the ballast resister. We used "Standard" brand replacement resistors with out any problems but that was 30-year's ago.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
Flathead Fever

Here is another thought. There is 12.6V at the ballast resister when the engine is not running but there is 14.2V when the alternator is charging. 12.6V divided by 3 ohms is 4.2 amps. 14.2V divided by 3 ohms 4.75 amps. As voltage goes up amperage goes up. If the the system was overcharging at 15.0V divided by 3 ohms that would be 5 amps. That might cause enough extra heat to burn up the ballast resister. That's one of those things that happened once or twice to me in 30-year's.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
35fordtn

Ken use a Bosch 00012 coil, with no resistor and your troubles will disappear
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #11
Old Redneck

Does NAPA have the Boscy coil?
Old 05-30-2019, 07:43 AM   #12
Old Redneck

Does NAPA have the Bosch coil?
Old 05-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #13
Charlie ny
BANNED

Ken,
Yes NAPA has the Bosch 00012 super blue coil ! I use the NAPA IC 64 as well.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote