Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #61
Jim Brierley

Default Re: OHV for Model A engine

The Gemsa that hardtimes has is from the Morales Bros. patterns, lots of those sold. Note the tube in the exhaust ports, Morales made them as an OHC. He later made heads from the Rutherford patterns, long story that doesn't need telling. Earlier he made some 4-port Rileys, maybe 10 or 12, before he sold those patterns to John Vesco in S.D He also made some 2-cammers but believe he only sold castings, not sure. Everything, everything, that went thru his shop got stamped with his name, first Pasadena, Calif. then El Monte, CA
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:30 AM   #62
Offy 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Bruce,
I located the Gemsa head that I mentioned above from back east. Thot that you might like to see these. Kinda wish that I'd have gotten that head now. Hey , the injection and headers seen all came with !

mngreen...ford's improvement of the B block over the A, was oiling of the mains.
Thanks Rick, I enjoy your time and your photos. Thanks for posting them. I figured Jim B could give us some info regarding Joe Gemsa how he numbered and identified his cylinder heads [top of pg 4]. I didn't know about his connection with the Morales bros. They were the last to run an Offy [Tamale Wagon] along with Bruce Bromme, a turbocharged 270 in a sprint car at Ascot [CRA]. I need to dig out some of my photos - I have a few when I ran my 40 Coupe at the Antique Nationals at Pearblossom. I think I have a photo of a dragster with a Gemsa head.
Offy 220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:16 AM   #63
wingski

Do you remember what his speed was?
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 03:52 PM   #64
dapster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee/Chandler, TX View Post
As related to me over breakfast last week: the car in question is a roadster pick-up, bought from somewhere in California and shipped to Texas.
New to the forum and the Model A world, but I believe I am now the proud owner of the Roadster pickup in question. If not, it's very coincidental . I just picked up a 1929 Roadster pickup over Memorial Day weekend and brought it home to Georgia from Texas and I found this post in researching the Cook OHV setup.

A lot of great information on here and looking forward to learning more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13 - Engine Bay LS 1.jpg (106.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 15 - Engine Bay RS 1.jpg (95.6 KB, 85 views)
dapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:25 PM   #65
Jim Brierley

7:1
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:26 PM   #66
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapster View Post
New to the forum and the Model A world, but I believe I am now the proud owner of the Roadster pickup in question. If not, it's very coincidental . I just picked up a 1929 Roadster pickup over Memorial Day weekend and brought it home to Georgia from Texas and I found this post in researching the Cook OHV setup.

A lot of great information on here and looking forward to learning more.
Very nice Roadster pickup and engine.

I noticed that your engine has what looks like an aftermarket Model T water pump in the lower outlet. I believe Charlie Yapp had the same type of water pump on his Roof 101 OHV setup in one of his videos (Roof 101 Cyclone Engine 1) several years ago. The video is still on YouTube.

David Serrano

Last edited by California Travieso; 06-27-2023 at 03:34 PM.
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 07:29 PM   #67
dapster

Good eye on the water pump, thanks for the info, I'll add those to my research. On the subject of the water pump, I have axial movement on the pump shaft, but I haven't been able to find a way to control it yet. I've learned about a collar on traditional pumps, but the T aftermarket pump doesn't have one and the issue is with the shaft/pulley moving outward, not inward which what I expect the collar would solve far.

Any thoughts from someone would be much appreicated.

Thanks.
dapster is offline   Reply With Quote