Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #1
Marshall V. Daut

Default More kudos to Bert's Model A Center

I am breaking with my self-imposed posting exile this one time because I want the readership here to appreciate the truly excellent customer service provided by Bert's Model A Center in Colorado. This is especially important for those readers, who have not yet ordered parts from Bert's. Longtime Model A owners already know that Bert's is a quality supplier. But it doesn't hurt to occasionally make public positive buying experiences with a trusted suppler, specifically Steve Becker at Bert's.
A recent very expensive purchase at Bert's turned out to be defective from the manufacturer. REALLY defective, as in "it never should have left the factory". This was in no way Bert's fault, as the defect was only discovered once I had received it upon disassembly to prepare it for installation. I wrote Steve and explained the problem, as well as included photos of the defective component. Steve got on the problem right away, even in the middle of a work day. He contacted the manufacturer and passed along my complaint. I could appreciate that Steve was in an awkward position between a dissatisfied customer and his sole supplier of this part, yet he didn't give up or tell me it was my problem to resolve. I received news today that he will be sending a quality replacement part in exchange for me returning the defective one. Once received, Steve should send it to the manufacturer for compensation.
In this day and age of less than satisfactory customer service by companies who no longer care, Bert's stands out as a quality supplier that the Model A community needs to continue to support. I wonder what kind of satisfaction I would have received from other vendors? This is not to say the "other guys" would not react favorably, but I KNOW Bert's will every time.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
Jim M

Default Re: More kudos to Bert's Model A Center

Agree 1000%. We are fortunate to have a number of great suppliers. That being said Berts and Steve is at the top of the list. Not only that but if I need a small part that can go USPS I can order it from Steve on a Saturday morning and it is in my mail box the next Monday (Sebastian, FL). Thanks Steve!!!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #3
Paul Mike

I am lucky enough to live in the Denver metro area. I have never had a bad experience there and would recommend them to all A owners. I have owned several T's for over 45 years and bought my first A about 3 years ago. Since I did not know anything about A's Steve has patiently answered a lot of questions and sold me a lot of new and quality used parts. Everyone at Bert's are good people.
Paul Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
Jeff/Illinois

Marshall thanks for posting.

I agree, Bert's is #1. I have bought several original parts from them and they were fairly priced and the parts of course look and fit properly. They have always been super nice and easy to deal with.

My only regret is, I wish I lived closer to them but then again I'd become a 'pest' from just hanging out at their business.

"Oh great here comes THAT guy again"
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Bill G

Thumbs up Re: More kudos to Bert's Model A Center

2X on Mr. Daut's comments. I had a similar situation a couple years ago where Steve stepped in between a problem I was having with something provided by a high end vendor and shipped by Bert's. Bert's and Steve are top notch! They do deserve recognition.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:20 PM   #6
Herb Concord Ca

Agree with all of the above. Bert's is my number one go to for parts. Always have received excellent service. I also have one of their Motors and it runs great.
Herb
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:33 PM   #7
Dave1931Pickup

Steve at Berts is great. I ordered a used 19" wheel from him just before Memorial Day. When I received it I was in a real time crunch to get a load of parts and ten wheels to the powder coater to meet my scheduled day for coating. I didn't really take a good look at the wheel so when it came back all black and shinny I discovered that it had a lot of pitting. I called Steve and told him that I was stupid to not have looked it over better. Without even questioning my mistake he sent out a replacement which I received last Wednesday. I had not even sent the first one back yet plus yesterday I discovered that he had not even charged me for shipping the second one. I questioned him about no charge for shipping and he responded with:

" Since you were not satisfied with the first wheel I sent, the replacement is at no charge. That's how we roll. Sorry for the trouble. Steve"

I really feel bad about causing him extra work and money because of my lack of attention. I just can't say enough about the service I have received from Bert's over the last decade. I highly recommend Bert's.

Dave
Dave1931Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:57 AM   #8
DBSHELTON

There are several great parts suppliers in this business. None are any better than Steve. I only wish I was closer so I could go pickup my parts.
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:50 AM   #9
Bob Bidonde

Marshall, your exile is a significant loss to the Model "A" Ford Barn, and I wish you would change your mind and continue to post here. Your knowledge and experiences with the Model "A" & "B" are valuable assets to our hobby.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #10
arnhemmer

Bought my very first Model A in late 2013. Didn't know anything about them. After driving for about a year and a half I found pieces of Babbitt in the oil after a change. Was told to shut it down and have it rebuilt. I chose Bert's for my rebuild and they where very patient with me with all my questions. I used my existing engine for the rebuild. It's been a great performer since early 2015 with about 15000 miles on it. Never used a drop of oil since day one and compression is at 92 in each cylinder using a Snyder head. Very happy with the service and their parts.
arnhemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

A few years ago I was doing a valve job and replacing my valve guides. I needed the valve guide removal tool to do the job. I did not have one so I called Bert's and talked to Steve to place the order. Steve did not have one in stock. AArrrrgghhhh. Not to worry. Steve loaned me the tool so I could complete the job. WHO ELSE DOES THAT???

Bert's is my go to for quality Model A parts......
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #12
JCHarvey

My experience with Bert’s began in 2015 when I began to get my Dad’s 1930 Coupe running. I knew nothing about Model A’s but always thought the car looked cool. My Dad bought it in 1976 and restored it over a 20 year period then it sat in a garage for another 20 years. There was 40 miles on the odometer. After he passed in 2017 my sisters and I decided to sell the car so I called Steve at Berts to determine its value. He met me at the storage place on a Saturday and told me it’s value as is and the higher value if running. A year passed and I finally hauled it to Berts to get it running so we could sell it. In the end, I couldn’t bring myself to sell it so I bought my sisters shares and kept it. I’ve had Berts go thru the brakes, steering, clutch, transmission, and long block rebuild. This spring I pulled the rear end and took it to Berts to have a Mitchell OD installed and the differential seals and bearings replaced. I’m now learning and doing the work myself in my quest to make it a touring car. We’ve made room in the garage for the Model A and I get a smile on my face every time I look at it and think of my Dad. What a wonderful gift he left for me to learn about and enjoy. I only wish I had taken more interest and asked more questions about it when he was with us.
I’m lucky to live in the Denver area and close to Berts. It’s unlikely I’d have kept it without having that resource. Steve, Tim and Dan in the shop are awesome. There seems to be a few very good Model A repair and supply businesses around the country and Berts is the best of the best, in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8AFB7673-2075-4F47-8071-40591725801A.jpeg (31.1 KB, 40 views)
JCHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick M View Post
I needed the valve guide removal tool to do the job. I did not have one so I called Bert's and talked to Steve to place the order. Steve did not have one in stock. AArrrrgghhhh. Not to worry. Steve loaned me the tool so I could complete the job. WHO ELSE DOES THAT???
Steve Mitchell comes to mind...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #14
McMimmcs

In all fairness to Berts, If I had to guess, I’d bet the negative stars are not intended for Steve or Berts.

Last edited by McMimmcs; 06-14-2020 at 08:37 PM.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:24 AM   #15
Bill G

Is steve Becker going to come around here and pick up his trophy for all this koom-by-ahh and have him give a speach??
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:42 PM   #16
SteveB31

Thanks for the kind words guys. Rarely do folks say nice things, and often they say not so nice things. Glad we have helped some folks enjoy this wonderful hobby. When a I got into this business 37 years ago these cars were only about 50 years old, and many people said to choose another line of work because there is no future in these old Fords. Who would have thunk that now these cars are 90:years old and interest in them is still going strong. Many things have changed in this hobby over those years. Most folks are repairing and maintaining and improving these cars now, with far less people doing ground up restorations, but I still love seeing them being driven every day. Enjoy them however you choose to enjoy them wether it is driving them, showing them or just working on them, because I think they will still be running long after all of us here are long gone.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #17
30 Closed Cab PU

Have nothing but good things to say about Berts. My favorite Model A vendor. Good parts, source of used original parts, willing to help you, good technical resource, and they back up their knowledge/parts.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:19 PM   #18
C1Nelson

I stumbled on this tonight and echo everything positive that has been stated. I have been using Steve Becker and Berts for many years now and they are my #1 provider of A parts. Living in Idaho I usually receive my orders within two to three days versus 5-7 days from the other venders. Steve has always been helpful and I appreciate his positive attitude. I have referred many Model A owners to Berts and I know most of them use Berts as their supplier. I also appreciate they only charge actual shipping costs on all orders. Most other suppliers charge a flat fee that in some instances exceeds the cost of the parts.
C1Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #19
vangogh

I believe Steve Becker is the best and he represents Bert's with great integrity. Yrs. ago I wanted a pop out switch from him. He directed me to his supplier at a better rate. What can you say!
vangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #20
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
I believe Steve Becker is the best and he represents Bert's with great integrity. Yrs. ago I wanted a pop out switch from him. He directed me to his supplier at a better rate. What can you say!
Exactly the same kind of customer service we have had with Bert's. Great folks.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote