Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
Magoo2

Default Ignition troubles

Can't get my 31 closed cab pickup running. Was running last week then stopped.
Fuel system & carb seem to be ok. Trying to diagnose ignition system and need some help. Here is what I found:

IGNITION SWITCH OFF: Power to both sides of coil. So far so good.

IGNITION SWITCH ON/POINTS CLOSED: No power to passenger side of coil power to drivers side. I don't think that's correct. I think I'm supposed to have power to passenger side but no power to drivers side.

Anyone have any ideas or further testing I could do?
Thanks
Magoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
Penthode

Default Re: Ignition troubles

Should not make that much difference. The point should be do you measure battery voltage on both terminals when the points open? And we assume the points do open to the correct gap when the points lever id on the cam lobe peak?
Penthode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
100IH

Pretty sure your results are normal. What you are looking for is with the points open. Do you have Andrews Vol.1 ? - the red book. if so then go to pp. 4-5 at the bottom. With the points open, the current begins at the starter switch post. Use a "ice pick" type tester with the lead grounded. The next place in the circuit is the L then ammeter then R terminals on the junction box, If the bulb lights your good. Before you move on try wiggle the wires associated to make sure there no loose connections that could be intermittent. If the bulb does not light = no current and might have found a ground or an open. at the far end test for the open movable point - should be currant there. Jump the movable point to ground and you should hear/see spark. The basics of the mindset; start at one end with the test light and follow the diagram. Inside the distributor is the flexable pigtail which can short to ground but must stay insulated.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
100IH

Might be better not to refer to the posts on the junction box as R or L, follow the wire from the starter post to one of the box posts the other is the one that has just passed through the ammeter. Same for the coil. Follow the wires and verify the integrity of the circuit to that point. Then on to the next the same way.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote