Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #1
Tom in SW VA

Default Spark Plugs

Other than the Champion X plug, what spark plug have you had most success with? I'm using Autolite 66 and am not real happy.

Thanks.....
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:47 AM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Spark Plugs

"Not real happy" is way to subjective to be able to give a good answer. How worn is the engine? What seems wrong? Give us at least that.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Tom in SW VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
"Not real happy" is way to subjective to be able to give a good answer. How worn is the engine? What seems wrong? Give us at least that.

Thanks for your reply. The plugs that I am using (Autolite 66 with adapters) are fouling (black) terribly. I have checked the compression and it is good. I have changed the gap to .035 from .025. If I clean the plugs after every ride, it runs well. If not, it misses. The engine has a high compression head with the regular electronics; magneto, commentator, coils, etc.

I am just searching a solution. I am a fairly new with Ts. I am quite familiar with As.

Tom
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
40 Deluxe

If it's oily black, it is from burning oil-worn out rings most likely. If it is dry black it is running way too rich, which means carburetor is bad.
Generally when plugs are fouling, a larger plug gap is better because a higher voltage is needed to jump the gap, which helps burn off deposits.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
39portlander

could a worn cam or standard grind 250 have similar dry black deposits with a high compression head installed due to poor or not enough valve opening with that head configuration?

I ask because I have an older high comp head and thought it would be better paired up with a 280 grind cam, any input would be great.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
J Franklin

Try a hotter plug and try to adjust the carb for a leaner burn if you can. I think the X plug works well and looks correct. Do the adaptors allow the tip of the plug you use to enter the combustion chamber?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
Royce P

This might help:
https://modeltfordfix.com/model-t-sp...he-enthusiast/

And this:

https://modeltfordfix.com/cleaning-t...rk-plug-t1386/

Watch eBay. The best plugs are old originals from when the Model T was still being driven every day. Personally I like the Firestone E100F Polonium plugs best, followed by AC #26, and of course original Champion X plugs.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #8
Low Compression

I run the new style Champion X plugs on 5 different T's. They are gapped at .025" and clean them once a year whether they need it or not.
Low Compression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
CharlieB

Their turning black for a reason. (really ?). Usually only 2 things as stated above: oil or running rich. Are you blowing smoke and if so what color is it? Blue is oil black is running rich/fuel. You say the comp is OK. I'd like to see some numbers. In my book 45 or better is OK and would make oil burning (worn rings) a lot less likely. What year & what carb are you running? Going with an incorrect needle valve adjustment here because it happened to me in my early T days. Sooted the plugs up so badly it wouldn't run. Being new to T's at the time I couldn't imagine this happening and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run. When pulling the plugs for a comp test (out of desperation) I found the problem. As to the plugs: changing to another brand won't solve your problem as something else is going on to cause the coating. Adaptors work as do X plugs in a properly running motor.

Last edited by CharlieB; 03-04-2018 at 09:18 AM.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote