Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
mcgarrett

Default 33 Model B pickup rear axle

Did the 33 Ford Model B 1/2 ton pickup use the same rear axle as the V8 trucks? Would like to change rear gearing to a 3.78 ring & pinion when I changed my 40 Ford to a 3.54. Any fit issues here?
Thanks for any info.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
PeteVS

Default Re: 33 Model B pickup rear axle

V8 and four cylinder had different lengths for the torque tube / driveshaft. There was a thread several years ago where a guy had the wrong set up for the engine in his truck. Big can of worms!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
jimTN

late 32-4 v8 rear ends are not as wide as the 36-48 center sections so you either have to change the r&p in what you have or find a original set up with 3:78 gears.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
mcgarrett

My main concern is if the ring and pinion gears are the same as the v8. If so, I just want to switch them out for higher speed 3.78 gears from a 40 Ford. A model A guy told me the 33 half ton model B truck used the same rear end as a model A.

I seriously doubt that.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Kurt in NJ

If the flange where the torque tuber joins the banjo is round then it is the "A" style, if it is scalloped it is the V8 style , gears from a 40 are not a direct fit in a 32-34 banjo, the 40 banjo is wider than the 32-34 ---if you do a search about it there will be descriptions of the modifications to the ring and pinion to make it fit the early banjo---the tips of some teeth need to be ground off and there is some work on pinion for a spacer I think.
cars and light pickups share mechanical parts
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
PhoenixFear

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The torque tube and driveshaft are about 1 3/4" shorter than V8. I do not think the banjo itself is different but I have yet to swap gears in mine. There are readily machined 10 spline ring and pinions available now for the late 32-early 35 banjo rear ends, costly but better than buying the late 35-up gears and machining them. Those should work whether or not it originally came with a V8.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
DavidG

The ring and pinion gears are the same dimensionally as the V-8, as is everything behind the driveshaft and torque tube (only those two items differ between the four-cylinder and V-8 axles during the '33 and '34 model years).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
mcgarrett

Thumbs up Re: 33 Model B pickup rear axle

Sounds reasonable that Henry would use the same rear axle as the V8 for the Model B since the major drivetrain components changed when the V8 came out - the Model B also used the V8 transmision.

Thanks for all the great feedback!
Old 04-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
Sounds reasonable that Henry would use the same rear axle as the V8 for the Model B since the major drivetrain components changed when the V8 came out - the Model B also used the V8 transmision.

Thanks for all the great feedback!
Minor correction on the transmission, the Model B used the same gears with a different case.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #10
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
My main concern is if the ring and pinion gears are the same as the v8. If so, I just want to switch them out for higher speed 3.78 gears from a 40 Ford. A model A guy told me the 33 half ton model B truck used the same rear end as a model A.
I seriously doubt that.
#1: An EARLY '32 rear is internally the same as a Model A but the driveshaft and spring mounts differ. Nothing early '32 swaps with late '32 or later.
#2: The late '32 through '34 banjo casting differs from the '35 through '48 casting. Because of this, your ring and / or pinion from the '40 will have to be modified to fit your '34 banjo housing and axle housings.
#3: Your '40 in its entirety should work in your '34 pickup WITH the correct length drive shaft / torque tube AND a change to a STRAIGHT spring. Either the rear crossmember will have to be modified to accept the spring or the spring will have to be modified to fit the rear crossmember. I don't think that your existing '34 torque tube will work on the '40 rear to fit.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
jimTN

No, the 34 TT does not work with the 40 center section cause the center section islonger than the 34. As I said earlier, you either go with a late 32 v8 or 33-4 3:78 if you want things to fit right. If you want to butcher your truck with a straight spring and have the wheels not where they belong then use a 40 rear end.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote