Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
JSRTUDOR

Default 1956 sedan 223 to 292 swap

Hi, can I swap my 223 six to a 292 Y block with no issues, e.g. mounts, radiator, etc. or is it a bolt in and go venture? Thanks!
JSRTUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
scicala

Default Re: 1956 sedan 223 to 292 swap

Hi,
You can send Steve Fritz a PM or contact him with this phone number or email.
I sold him a '55 Ford with the 223 six and he converted to a 272 V8 three speed manual w/OD. I'm sure he knows all the details your looking for. He may comment here too.

Sal

[email protected]
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #3
darrell

you have to use v8 mounts.and rad.6 mounts look the same but will set your motor back.done lots of these.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

The 6-cyl side motor mounts are different from the Y-block mounts, but you can get new motor mounts from some of the repro parts suppliers.
The radiator side mounting brackets on the 6 and 8 are different also, because the 6 is longer, so the radiator on the 6-cyl cars is thrust forward into that space you see at the top of the front air deflector. Also, the 6-cyl cars had a cutout in the front splash-pan for the radiator bottom tank.
You can keep all that stuff like it is and install a deeper fan-spacer between water pump pulley and fan so that the fan blade will be closer to the radiator.
Probably the biggest concern is the trans bell-housing and clutch. The 6-cyl bell-housing won't bolt to the y-block regardless of manual trans or Ford-o-matic.
You can use same starter motor and drive, but you will need to add the round rubber seal that goes at the back of the starter for the Y-block, also available from repro parts suppliers. As for the bell-housing, there may be a conversion plate available, otherwise you will need to get a Y-block bellhousing. If you have manual trans, you might want to look at your clutch size. In '56, Ford offered 9-1/2", 10" and 11" clutch sizes. I am pretty sure you have to get the y-block flywheel also, which will determine your clutch size (unless you wanna go drilling and tapping new holes for a larger clutch pressure plate and cover assembly). Same goes for the Ford-o-matic converter. The 6-cyl converter is smaller than the y-block converter and ring-gear.
Back in the old days, there were adaptor plates so that you didn't need to mess with swapping a bunch of transmission parts, but I don't know about now.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
JSRTUDOR

Thanks for the information! I just bought home a 56 272. Does anyone have a bellhousing for this engine? I need a flywheel too!
JSRTUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
darrell

you can use the 6 flywheel but it only uses a 9 1/2 clutch.it will do the job unless your really going to abuse it.the 272 will use a 10 inch if you find a flywheel.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote