Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
RandyMettler

Default Dual 94s one really sucks, one not so much

I have dual 94s on a 8BA. When pulling the air cleaners off the carbs with the engine running, one has a strong sucking sound while one has a barely audible sucking sound. When covering either of the carbs with my hand, one at a time, it kills the motor. I would think the carbs would have equal sucking sounds. To me, this is an indication of a problem with one of the 94s.

I did a propane test to both 94 with no increase in rpms.

Also, when cold and throttling the gas I get misfires. When the engine warms up after 2 minutes I get smooth throttle response. To me, this in an indication of a vacuum leak sealing itself with thermal expansion. Is it possible that a weak coil takes time to warm up to provide consistent strong spark? (I know far fetched)

Any thoughts?

Sorry about multiple post, I am just trying to work through my current problem

Last edited by RandyMettler; 01-21-2019 at 08:24 PM.
RandyMettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Tinker

Default Re: Dual 94s one really sucks, one not so much

Try a Uni Sync to get the vacuum correct.

Do both have chokes on both carbs?

Cold and throttling could just be fuel not firing in the cyclinder. Let it warm up before throttling.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
RandyMettler

Tinker,

Thanks for all your help.

The primary only is set up with a choke. The secondary toward the front of the motor, is the 94 with the strong sucking sound, no choke. It is much stronger than the primary carb, mounted closest to the firewall.

Do you have a favorite uni sync manufacture?

Last edited by RandyMettler; 01-21-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #4
Tinker

Progressive linkage?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
Charlie ny
BANNED

Randy,

Look into the air horn and see if both carbs have identical nozzle bars. If OK
there back off the idle SPEED screws so both the carbs are 100% shut, with as sensitive a touch as you can conjure just barely crack the throttle open on each carb. From the just barely cracked setting advance the idle SPEED screws in 1/4 turn at a time until the motor idles where you want it. At this point if your problem is still with
you a UniSyn will help with adjusting the mixture screws. The alternative is to run each carb individually maybe on the buddies single carb motor and set the idle MIXTURE screws that way.
Charlie
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 PM   #6
RandyMettler

Tinker, No I don't have progressive linkage and understand with dual setup you should not. I am running Charlie Price dual 3.5 power valves and 47 jets.

My 94s are not identical. The primary chocked 94 has what I am going to term as a float bowl vent tube located in the center of the air horn. The secondary 94 has a float bowl vent hole, factory drilled in the side of the air horn. I think both accomplish the same function but could be wrong. If you would like pictures I can post tomorrow.

Not sure what "nozzle bars" are, both carbs are identical with the above acceptation.

And thanks Charlie, I sent a check to you today for one of your fuel pumps. Mine is not rebuildable. I am getting fuel in my oil and am tired of changing my oil through this diagnostic proocess.

Last edited by RandyMettler; 01-21-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:21 PM   #7
Tinker

Have you tried what charlieNY suggested?

Run the idle screws in and set. What the uni-sync is for.

pv and jets seem right on the ballpark mark.

Duels take some time to setup.... and multi carbs always need to be revisited.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #8
Talkwrench

disconnect the carbs from each other when tuning , re connect after you've finished. And check.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #9
Tinker

Also block off the carb port.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #10
RandyMettler

Talkwrench

"disconnect the carbs from each other when tuning , re connect after you've finished. And check."

Do you mean remove the fuel supply from one carb at a time when adjusting?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #11
RandyMettler

Tinker,

When you say "block off the carb port" do you mean the fuel supply to each card individually?

I will try Charlies advice tomorrow. I worked on the car all day, so need to recharge the brain and bones. Oh, and by the way, the alumaseal has seemed to work. I'll see tomorrow.

Last edited by RandyMettler; 01-21-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #12
Tinker

If your pump isn't overrunning the needle... no. You are looking to find vacuum settings.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #13
RandyMettler

Tinker,

I don't mean to be dense, but what is "carb port"

Regards
Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #14
Tinker

It's a conversation, anyone can pipe in. We all solve problems together.

Carburetor "intake" port.

Last edited by Tinker; 01-21-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:34 AM   #15
Talkwrench

No just the throttle linkage, so you do one at a time.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #16
BUBBAS IGNITION

have found this tool to perform much better than the uni-sync (especially the new ones)..........
https://www.amazon.com/Latest-Rage-D...20224882&psc=1
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #17
Ol' Ron

I'm curious, what distributor are you using. The stock one won't work right. Just another problem.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #18
tubman

Isn't it common knowledge that you should leave the choke mechanism in the secondary carb, even if it is not hooked up or used? When the mechanism is removed, it screws up the airflow in the carb.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #19
flatjack9

Tubman is right. You want the choke plate in there. Also I think 47 jets are too small. I would think 49 - 51 unless you are at a high altitude.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #20
RandyMettler

Bubba,
Thanks for the link headup to the airflow meter.

Regards

Last edited by RandyMettler; 01-22-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #21
RandyMettler

Thanks,

Flatjack9,
I am at sea level and do have 50s I could put in in the future once I road test it.

Tubman,
The choke plate is in place just not hooked up to the primary carbs choke. It basically just stays open as far as I can tell. I should have been more exact in my description.

Ol'Ron,
I have a mallory breakers less electronic with advance weights controlled by springs and adjusted with an interchangeable bushing. In my case it only came with one set of springs and one bushing installed. It is a crab style and mounted to the front center camshaft. I took the distributor apart and cleaned all the contact surfaces. And again I have an 8BA block. Its not the loadomatic vacuum advance control distributor that was designed for the 8BA. My dual 94 also do not have the combined venture and port vacuum option.

Another note,
I also noticed I have one stripped blot in the main body in the larger nozzle bar clamp securing the nozzle bars down. I will try to re thread to one bolt size bigger to do a band aid fix. I still need to see if there is enough meat in the main body to do this. The stripped bolt is in the primary with the choke hooked up. The 94 that has very little suction sound.

Regards

Last edited by RandyMettler; 01-22-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #22
flatjack9

I surely would go with the 50's if not 51's. If that nozzle bar does not seal to the body, you will not get proper fuel flow.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #23
RandyMettler

I have since ordered, received and installed one of CharlieNYs fuel pumps and took Bubbas Ignitions advice and ordered and received a Deluxe Carburetor Airflow Meter. When testing my dual 94 setup on Olfenhauser intake on my 8BA, the primary carb registered 11 kg/h while the secondary non choke 94 read pegged at what I am guessing is well above the 30 kg/h mark. The secondary is also the carb that is audibly sucking in air much more than the primary. Also when the engine was turned off with the air cleaners removed, the secondary 94 had a mist of vaporized gas swirling in the air horn assembly.

The Deluxe Carburetor Airflow Meter has two holes at the base, see pictures. I am not sure if they need to be plugged when testing? The optional rubber boot plugs these holes when installed, but is not compatible with the 94s airhorn. When rubber boot is not installed they are left open, which is confusing to me. I am not really sure what the plastic baskets for. There were no instructions with the unit. I didn't find youtube videos explaining this.

The engine stumbles and backfires out of the exhaust when throttle is applied.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7740.jpg (43.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7739.jpg (39.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7741.jpg (35.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #24
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMettler View Post
I have since ordered, received and installed one of CharlieNYs fuel pumps and took Bubbas Ignitions advice and ordered and received a Deluxe Carburetor Airflow Meter. When testing my dual 94 setup on Olfenhauser intake on my 8BA, the primary carb registered 11 kg/h while the secondary non choke 94 read pegged at what I am guessing is well above the 30 kg/h mark. The secondary is also the carb that is audibly sucking in air much more than the primary. Also when the engine was turned off with the air cleaners removed, the secondary 94 had a mist of vaporized gas swirling in the air horn assembly.

The Deluxe Carburetor Airflow Meter has two holes at the base, see pictures. I am not sure if they need to be plugged when testing? The optional rubber boot plugs these holes when installed, but is not compatible with the 94s airhorn. When rubber boot is not installed they are left open, which is confusing to me. I am not really sure what the plastic baskets for. There were no instructions with the unit. I didn't find youtube videos explaining this.

The engine stumbles and backfires out of the exhaust when throttle is applied.

Regards
Your two carbies are not working together one is pulling lots more air than the other to get this correct both carbs need to pull identical air thats what the gauge your using is showing you. To correct your problem you need to adjust each throttle plate so both carbs are giving you similar readings. The carb with the high reading is pulling lots more air that carbs throttle plate needs to be moved so the air flow reading comes down on the gauge which you wrote is pegged until you get that reading lower your not going to be able to adjust the second carb. Once you have this accomplished the two carbs will now work as one. In other words your carbs need to work in unisyn.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #25
LQQKER

I struggled with my dual 94s on a 59ab for months taking apart, adjusting, etc... very similar problem. I concluded worn throttle shaft. Sent Charlie NY the carbs, he fixed carbs including throttle shafts...problem solved. Good luck.
LQQKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #26
Ol' Ron

Actually two 94's work quite well on a stock Flathead, when properly set up. In JWL;s boof "Flathead facts" he goes through a procession of intakes and carburetors. With Dyno results of each item. Well worth the price of the book. Now you'll get the "facts on your options, some better than others.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #27
RandyMettler

First of all, thanks to all of you who have given your time and advise. I really appreciate that.

In regards to LQQKER's previous post:
"I struggled with my dual 94s on a 59ab for months taking apart, adjusting, etc... very similar problem. I concluded worn throttle shaft. Sent Charlie NY the carbs, he fixed carbs including throttle shafts...problem solved. Good luck."

When I have difficulty getting the car to fire up, I have noticed gas leaking from the throttle shafts on both 94 carbs. The gas is not visible once the car is started. I am guessing because of the vacuum created by the pistons and the heat from the engine. My question is, are the gas leaks an indication of worn throttle shafts? Can simply purchasing new shafts stop the leaks?

One of the 94s is a Chandler Groves. Do the bodies of the carbs also wear with time? If so, the reason I ask, do companies such as Vintage Speed and Charlie NY make larger throttle shafts that require specific size drill bits to "freshen up" the carbs worn out bodies?

Last edited by RandyMettler; 02-08-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #28
Charlie ny
BANNED

Randy,
.005 over size shafts are available from Speedway. To fit one of these
shaft right you should use a LINE REAMER. Unless you are really lucky a drill bit won't
do the job, you will get an egg shaped hole. A reamer provides the best opportunity for a round and straight series of holes.....remember the shaft hole is actually three holes. One hole on the drivers side of the base , one in the middle and one on the passenger side.......all must be round and in line. These carbs are pretty basic but usually when they give a guy trouble are not always simple to diagnose and repair.
Charlie
Old 02-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #29
Tinker

Chandler Groves is a first yr and one yr carb, thinking best for a 38 restorer. Design was taken over by Holley due to manufacturing short commings by Chandler Groves. (or so it goes)

Last edited by Tinker; 02-08-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #30
ford38v8

Tinker, it was another example of Henry Ford's sharp business practices, contracting with CG in such a way as to guarantee failure and Ford ownership of the patent. The old man always got the upper hand in his contracts.

The CG logo appeared on the '38 carb with no model number, and continued into '39 model year with the 91-99 model number etched onto the CG molds, and manufactured by Holley. New molds with Ford script came in mid year. I believe the failure to deliver was a deliberate built in confusion of model year vs calendar year in the contracts.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #31
Tinker

Alan, I knew as much (or little) that Chandler Groves was contracted to design and manufacture for a year, but also giving Ford rights to take the design, after the first year if numbers couldn't be met.

Sounds about right though.

Bill Gates was also a very lawyer savoy business man also.
When windows came out he contracted HP "that every computer they made, they would pay a price"". At the time that made sense, since windows was what everyone wanted. Once Linux was requested by consumers, HP started putting linux on them. But still had to pay Bill (microsoft) for every computer sold, due to contract.

Always nice to have a few lawyers in pocket I guess.

Charlie probably could get you straighten out, one way are the other. Advice/parts or service.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-08-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 PM   #32
Bill OH

When I set up my Strombergs 97s (I have used Holleys), I first check that the throttle plates are closed with the idle screw backed off. I then measure the throttle shafts center to center on the drivers side with the carbs installed on the manifold. Using a pair of dividers or a ruler, I set the center to center distance on the arms that the linkage on the drivers side mount to and set the connecting linkage to the same center to center distance. The linkage should go together without further adjustment. I then set the idle stops on both carbs. The linkage from the firewall goes to the front carb. Start the engine and adjust both carbs for idle mixture followed by the throttle stop screws - make sure the throttle stops hit at the same time. I have had good success with this procedure.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:04 PM   #33
RandyMettler

It may sound silly or nostalgic, even though ford ripped off Chandler Groves, but I am proud to have one Chandler Groves 94. It came with the purchase of my ford. I wish I had a matching set.

Charley NY,
Please email me at [email protected] to discuss sending you my 94's to be rebuilt properly. I get that simply taking a drill bit to the carbs could make things worse.

Regards

Last edited by RandyMettler; 02-08-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 PM   #34
Tinker

Randy if you want a match pair of chandlers I can send ya the match one to yours. or drop ship it to Charlie. PM me if you're interested.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #35
RandyMettler

Please email me at [email protected] to discuss condition and price of your Candler Groves 94.

Regards

I am old school, don't know what "PM" is

Last edited by RandyMettler; 02-08-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:24 PM   #36
Tinker

Will do Randy. I'll go out tomorrow and send you some pictures of my chandlers. See if you can match them up.

If that's the direction you want to go.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-08-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:10 AM   #37
Charlie ny
BANNED

Randy and Tinker......
However you guys work things out is fine with me for sure. I will mention here I have an unlimited supply of 94's many many are Chandler Groves including some discussed here. I can happily match yours N/C. If we do end up doing business just be sure you send me both your carbs......ck your emails

Charlie ny
[email protected]