Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
1930pu

Default windhield wiper help

I am working on my 1930 rpu I planned on using a vacum wiper, the windshield I have isn't original to the truck, but the lower stanchions are and there is no hole for the wiper hose to go thru, so maybe I should use the hand wiper but am wondering is there a way to keep the hand wiper out of the way( in the parked position) or does it just hang in the center,. It was build in May of 1930 so it probably could be either one anyway it is not going to be a show truck just a nice driver but I just hate to drill a hole in the stanchion if I don't really have to. thanks for all your help, Jim
1930pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: windhield wiper help

If the hole in the W/S frame is the correct size and an original-type hand wiper unit is used, there is enough tension to hold it up horizontal. For what its worth, I think Gary Johnson might have a replacement vacuum wiper motor for sale in the classifieds. You may want to look at installing something like that.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Bob C

Here is a picture of the hole for the wiper hose. The wiper on the left was used only on the
open cab pu the one one the right is a roadster wiper and according to the JS the roadster
wiper was occasionally substituted on the open cab. I'm not sure if this applied to 30-31 or
just 31.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_1053.jpg (22.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1055.jpg (34.6 KB, 23 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
1930pu

Thanks for the response I actually have a roadster wiper I was going to use I know the rpu mounts upside down and the inlet is on the other side. but I hate do drill the stanchion. Do the repro hand wipers have enough tension also or do I need to look for an original, the windshield is not original to my truck but I can see where someone else filled it. If you think the repro wiper will work I will try that before drilling the stanchion. Thanks I really appreciate all the help from everyone, thanks, Jim
1930pu is offline   Reply With Quote