Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #41
Ziggster

Default Re: Switching cam gear cover from 2-bolt to 3-bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
One version on the oil filter has the return line going the the distributor area. A banjo fitting and hollow bolt are used.
Now this is confusing. Which version is that?
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #42
Mart

A retrofit kit.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #43
Ziggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
A retrofit kit.
How is the issue of oil potentially going into the dizzy addressed? Are all oil filters a "retrofit" kit? If not, what is a retrofit kit?
Old 03-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #44
tubman

"Retrofit" = "Aftermarket" (Sold as an add-on accessory).

The bolt holes in the timing cover that are used to accept the distributor mounting bolts go all the way through the timing cover and into the timing cear chamber. They use a bolt that has a hole drilled in it longitudinally ending short of the bolts head. There is another hole driller through the bolt just beneath the head in a recessed area under the head. A "banjo" fitting is fitting usually made of brass that is in the shape of a banjo that is also drilled longitudinally. The oil return line hooks up to the "handle" of the banjo, and the drilled bolt goes through the middle of the banjo. The drilled bolt replaces one of the distributor mounting bolts, providing an oil return to the sump. There are usually two copper washers used, one under the bolt head and one between the banjo and the timing cover to prevent leaks.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #45
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If you have not seen the setup, this is what it looks like. Believe the idea was to move the oil return away from the rear oil fill breather. A lot of oil in the valley increases the oil film that escapes the breather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Line Diagram.jpg (68.3 KB, 21 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #46
Ziggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"Retrofit" = "Aftermarket" (Sold as an add-on accessory).

The bolt holes in the timing cover that are used to accept the distributor mounting bolts go all the way through the timing cover and into the timing cear chamber. They use a bolt that has a hole drilled in it longitudinally ending short of the bolts head. There is another hole driller through the bolt just beneath the head in a recessed area under the head. A "banjo" fitting is fitting usually made of brass that is in the shape of a banjo that is also drilled longitudinally. The oil return line hooks up to the "handle" of the banjo, and the drilled bolt goes through the middle of the banjo. The drilled bolt replaces one of the distributor mounting bolts, providing an oil return to the sump. There are usually two copper washers used, one under the bolt head and one between the banjo and the timing cover to prevent leaks.
That is actually really interesting. Any reason why they just didn't just go back to the oil pan?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #47
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
That is actually really interesting. Any reason why they just didn't just go back to the oil pan?
Not an easy way to do it would be the major reason. These were bolt on additions.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #48
Ziggster

Quote:
If you have not seen the setup, this is what it looks like. Believe the idea was to move the oil return away from the rear oil fill breather. A lot of oil in the valley increases the oil film that escapes the breather.
Thanks. Much appreciated. I guess there were all kinds of variations over the years. I found this pic in my photo library that show something similar. I also have a pic of it going to the oil pan like on my block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (83.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #49
Ziggster

Pic showing going into oil pan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #50
Ziggster

Another pic showing into going into crank?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (48.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #51
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Ziggster, you are jumping in time, LOL. Ford provided an oil return in the later models, we were referring to the bolt-on early accessory. Notice the helmet distributor on the add-on diagram?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #52
Ziggster

Quote:
Ziggster, you are jumping in time, LOL. Ford provided an oil return in the later models, we were referring to the bolt-on early accessory. Notice the helmet distributor on the add-on diagram?
Yes, I understand hence my mention of different variations over the years. So, to clarify I understand, prior to 42, the oil filter was an add-on, from 42-48 it was std with return to pan, and post 48 it went where?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #53
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
Yes, I understand hence my mention of different variations over the years. So, to clarify I understand, prior to 42, the oil filter was an add-on, from 42-48 it was std with return to pan, and post 48 it went where?
The oil pan. Update: quick answer that was not really correct! Oil pan via a fitting in the side of the block, as rotorwrench posted.

Last edited by JSeery; 03-19-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #54
rotorwrench

Through the side of the block to the oil sump via the crank case on 8BA series.

The first filters were add ons in the 1935/36 time frame and they didn't bolt to the head. They are rare now days and no replacements are available. The later ones were optional and generally bolted to the left side cylinder head at the front so they drained at the front using the banjo bolt fitting. The 8BA type bolted to the head more toward the rear of the left bank.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #55
Ziggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Through the side of the block to the oil sump via the crank case on 8BA series.

The first filters were add ons in the 1935/36 time frame and they didn't bolt to the head. They are rare now days and no replacements are available. The later ones were optional and generally bolted to the left side cylinder head at the front so they drained at the front using the banjo bolt fitting. The 8BA type bolted to the head more toward the rear of the left bank.
Thanks again for all the knowledge transfer. I tried fitting my oil filter housing on my C69 heads (C7RA-A?), and I think it only mated to the cylinder mounting bolts towards the rear as the bracket was interfering with the port on the water neck when I tried mounting towards the front. However, my engine was rebuilt at some point, so who knows what they slapped together, especially for an industrial engine. At least now I know where everything should go as when I purchased the engine it was in pieces with many bits missing.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #56
gavinnz

Cool project! Do you have photos posted any where??
It's good to have someone else out there using a flathead for something different and learning as they go. Are you going to fit electronic ignition in the divers helmet dizzy? Might negate all the talk of vacuum lines altogether? I am on the boat, and I will hollow out my coil and run a HT line out and under the engine to a hidden 12v coil.
gavinnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #57
Ziggster

No updates as I've been busy with two used cars we just purchased but here is a link. I'm not sure about fitting modern electronics to the dizzy yet. Probably use as is and see if it works with just some cleaning and new parts.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...build.1131795/
Old 05-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #58
Fred A

I know what the Zig means with distributor style. My favortite is the Zephyr on the front of a V8-60 where you have room. May be the definition of cool. Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote