Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
1crosscut

Default September 28 coupe surfacing

Last night I took a look at a coupe that a gentleman has decided to sell. It's been well over 50 years since it has run. Engine is not stuck. It looks to be pretty much unmolested except for what looks to be a flat black brush paint job way back when. I think it was originally a lighter blue/green but I only had a look at it last evening well after dark.
I'm not really familiar with the different styles of coupes and only have this one picture to share for now. Looks like it has very little if any rust but a good look over in daylight is needed.
Any info on it appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1913.jpg (77.4 KB, 376 views)

Last edited by 1crosscut; 12-22-2018 at 12:13 PM.
1crosscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
F.M.
BANNED

Default Re: September 28 coupe surfacing

Its a 1928 Special Coupe.. Looks to be ALL Original with ALL the RARE top & side mouldings . Even the red steering wheel and the also hard & many $$ fan shroud are in place..Also the Trunk is original to the car..The color could have been Niagara Blue light or dark, Dawn Gray, Dark ( which is more of a green) or Gunmetal Blue..Look & see wht the Engine # is and I can tell you if its original to the car.. My 8/22/28 one is 359423.. Its not really a rare car, but its a little harder to find the 28 ones & with the hard to find pieces..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
1crosscut

That makes sense that it is a Special Coupe. The owner was thinking it was a Sport Coupe but I knew that wasn't right. I went to look at it because I have a fellow that wants to get into the Model A hobby and has his sights set on getting a Sport Coupe and I told him I would keep an eye out for one. I'll still check with him to see if he might want to change course...
Pretty sure the engine is original to the car as the number is 395974. Still has the slant pole coil. I was glad to see that it wan't converted to a rumble seat.
If he passes on it and someone here is interested I could do a more thorough inspection of it. With a bit of TLC I think it can be made to run in fairly short order.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
GerryAllen

Please keep us up to date what you find out about the car. It looks to be unmolested which is really neat.
Gerry Birch Bay WA
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
That makes sense that it is a Special Coupe. The owner was thinking it was a Sport Coupe but I knew that wasn't right. I went to look at it because I have a fellow that wants to get into the Model A hobby and has his sights set on getting a Sport Coupe and I told him I would keep an eye out for one. I'll still check with him to see if he might want to change course...
Pretty sure the engine is original to the car as the number is 395974. Still has the slant pole coil. I was glad to see that it wan't converted to a rumble seat.
If he passes on it and someone here is interested I could do a more thorough inspection of it. With a bit of TLC I think it can be made to run in fairly short order.
Ok, It was built the first week of Sept.. Can go to the day if need be.. It should have the date stamped on the lower left side of gas tank.. The BIG ?? what does he want for it ?? .. Does it still have the original Multi Disc Clutch system in it ??. Engine pans, and the solid front motor mount ??..
Old 12-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.M. View Post
Ok, It was built the first week of Sept.. Can go to the day if need be.. It should have the date stamped on the lower left side of gas tank.. The BIG ?? what does he want for it ?? .. Does it still have the original Multi Disc Clutch system in it ??. Engine pans, and the solid front motor mount ??..
I did not get into price with him and I don't think that he is going to be unreasonable but I'm not sure what the market is on something like this. I don't particularly like to set a price on others treasures and usually like folks to set a starting price on their own but he seems unsure where to start at the moment.
It does have the engine pans and I can check on the front motor mount and the clutch. Will see if he is available for me to look at it today or tomorrow. Sort of fun to see something this original.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
john charlton

If it has not run for 50 years drop the pan and clean out the goop which right now is submerging the oil pump pick up . Open the valve chest and clean that out too. Take care not to drop debris down the main bearing lube oil holes, one in the middle and one at each end . The oil will look golden on the dipstick but it has settled out and the nasties lurk in the bottom just waiting to be sucked up when you try to fire it up .There is an informative video on You Tube which shows what was in the pan when a long standing motor was fired up without a prior clean.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to you all !!!

John in festive Suffolk County England ,high pressure on the way so a dry Xmas but no snow .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
If it has not run for 50 years drop the pan and clean out the goop which right now is submerging the oil pump pick up . Open the valve chest and clean that out too. Take care not to drop debris down the main bearing lube oil holes, one in the middle and one at each end . The oil will look golden on the dipstick but it has settled out and the nasties lurk in the bottom just waiting to be sucked up when you try to fire it up .There is an informative video on You Tube which shows what was in the pan when a long standing motor was fired up without a prior clean.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to you all !!!

John in festive Suffolk County England ,high pressure on the way so a dry Xmas but no snow .

Please post the u-tube link.

Thanks
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
Juggler

Here you go

https://youtu.be/AhVo7-gzJo4
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler View Post

Thanks, was curious if it looked like what I had, and it does. My truck had sat for 50 years too, oil looked just like this. Attached is what I drained the 1st time. Do not have pictures of the inside of the pan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9, 1st oil change, 50 year old oil.jpg (46.3 KB, 92 views)
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.M. View Post
Looked it over again today. With daylight I expected to see more things that had been changed but that was not the case. This is one of the more original A's that I have seen.

I does have the solid front motor mount, multi disk clutch, engine pans and all four shocks. It is missing the right rear shock link though. Even has the original center emblem on the front bumper. Date on the gas tank is 9/11/28.
Did not find rust through anywhere on the car. No obvious dents but does have a small crack in the usual spot on the right front fender. The interior and the roof material both look to be original but will need to be replaced. Wish someone had not brush painted it black.
Waiting on hearing back from the gent I've been helping with his search for a car before I delve more deeply into his asking price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1979 (1).jpg (66.7 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1975.jpg (99.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1977.jpg (93.8 KB, 177 views)
Old 12-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #12
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Looked it over again today. With daylight I expected to see more things that had been changed but that was not the case. This is one of the more original A's that I have seen.

I does have the solid front motor mount, multi disk clutch, engine pans and all four shocks. It is missing the right rear shock link though. Even has the original center emblem on the front bumper. Date on the gas tank is 9/11/28.
Did not find rust through anywhere on the car. No obvious dents but does have a small crack in the usual spot on the right front fender. The interior and the roof material both look to be original but will need to be replaced. Wish someone had not brush painted it black.
Waiting on hearing back from the gent I've been helping with his search for a car before I delve more deeply into his asking price.
Yup, Even has original floor boards.. Very hard to find one in this condition and with most all OEM parts in place..
Old 12-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #13
Mike Peters

I don't suppose it still has the original popout switch? Looks like the original round tube 28 radiator lurking behind that rare shroud. Maybe the radiator doesn't leak? I think you have really found a winner and rare piece of history, Dave. This car is waaaay too good to restore. Just preserve it for posterity. mike
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #14
1crosscut

Mike it has what looks to be the original pop out and I think the radiator is original too. I agree this would be a good one to preserve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dash.jpg (72.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Firewall.jpg (88.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Radiator.jpg (100.8 KB, 116 views)
Old 12-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #15
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Mike it has what looks to be the original pop out and I think the radiator is original too. I agree this would be a good one to preserve.
Instrument panel & Etc 100% Original, as is the Radiator..The starter Switch is also, cant see starter.. The Generator is Not, should be the 5 brush P/H.. The hoses & the clamps are not.. I think the color is Gunmetal Blue, But pictures due lie depending on the light.. Only one other thing to ask, Due the tires have the Original Dill or Schrader Valve Stems & Covers ?/ WOW !!

Last edited by F.M.; 12-24-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:46 PM   #16
1crosscut

I think that it is Gun Metal blue... at least under the black paint. Would be worth a go trying to get it off. I bet the paint is pretty good underneath.
I wasn't sure if it was early enough to have the power house generator. It looks like the generator on it has been there for quite a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Left side.jpg (92.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Right side.jpg (94.2 KB, 111 views)
Old 12-24-2018, 11:48 PM   #17
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
I think that it is Gun Metal blue... at least under the black paint. Would be worth a go trying to get it off. I bet the paint is pretty good underneath.
I wasn't sure if it was early enough to have the power house generator. It looks like the generator on it has been there for quite a while.
Ok, Last picture shows the Correct Early Starter..
Old 12-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #18
Mike Peters

Yes, the main incorrect item is the generator. But lots of original stuff still on this car. Someone loved this car back in the day and was a careful caretaker.
The engine and firewall tell the story of the radiator. It's a leaker. Rusty water residue all over the engine compartment.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #19
MAG

Smile Re: September 28 coupe surfacing

""Wish someone had not brush painted it black.""

When I was a youngster my brother-in-law bought a '36 Chxvvvvvt that was brush painted Black. He took rubbing compound and removed all the brush paint. Under it was the original Black paint and Straw Pin Stripe that was very very good. A small amount of red primer showed on the hood but that may have been due to aggressive polishing. Took him a while:
Old 12-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #20
1crosscut

The gentleman that I thought might want to switch his search for a sport coupe to this coupe is not wanting to do so.
The owner has indicated that he would like $7,000 or best offer for it.
If someone is interested drop me a p.m. and I will pass along your contact information to him.