Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
edwardbarras

Default what does this mean?

I am putting brake & clutch linkage back together on my 49, and having trouble buying the correct bolts & nuts. On my tap & die set , one die says 3/8 nf 24. What does the nf mean? Thanks The book calls for a 3/8 inch, 24 thread bolt. When I go to run the bolt through my die, it will not go.
edwardbarras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #2
50droptop

Default Re: what does this mean?

NF usually means National Fine. To be sure the bolt is truly fine thread, you can use a 24 pitch tap to ensure the threads match. Just match the tap threads to the bolt threads.
50droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
RKS.PA

So, 3/8's is the diameter of the bolt and the nut. And, 24 is the number of threads per inch, using SAE fasteners. When I buy bolts and nuts....usually at Ace Hardware or Lowes....I take my thread measuring gauge with me to be sure I've got the right thread count. You'd be amazed how the the wrong size nuts and bolts wind up in the 3/8's bins!!

I'm not the smartest guy in the fastener isle, but since it's a trip for me to the hardware, I only want to have to go once for the stuff I'm working on. Also, you will want to get the right "grade" of fasteners for your brake and clutch linkage....not sure what is specified for those.

Good luck....Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
cas3

nf=national fine, nc=national course, np= national pipe
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
edwardbarras

This forum and its members are a blessing for me! Thank you all. Ed Barras
edwardbarras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
So, 3/8's is the diameter of the bolt and the nut. And, 24 is the number of threads per inch, using SAE fasteners. When I buy bolts and nuts....usually at Ace Hardware or Lowes....I take my thread measuring gauge with me to be sure I've got the right thread count. You'd be amazed how the the wrong size nuts and bolts wind up in the 3/8's bins!!

I'm not the smartest guy in the fastener isle, but since it's a trip for me to the hardware, I only want to have to go once for the stuff I'm working on. Also, you will want to get the right "grade" of fasteners for your brake and clutch linkage....not sure what is specified for those.

Good luck....Dick.

Dick, I just ran into that issue at my local Ace Hardware. The 3/8-16 nuts were mixed in with the 3/8-24 ones. Have to keep the eyes open.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #7
rotorwrench

I don't buy any unified thread fasteners from a hardware stores anymore. I've been burned one time too many. They get there stuff from sources that are not reliable any more. 1 in 4 pieces will have some kind of problem or all will be the wrong fit.

Taps and dies are another problematic tool now days. There are 3 different classifications for thread fit in SAE unified type threads. Some of these taps they make now are of unknown fit classification. Then there are the unified thread fasteners that are made in countries that have no idea about any particular threads let alone unified type. All I can say is be carefull with new fasteners and new taps & die sets. They might be way out of whack as to what they should be.

Fastenall and some of the other machinery supply type companies still try to get the better quality stuff but who knows how long that will last.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I don't buy any unified thread fasteners from a hardware stores anymore. I've been burned one time too many. They get there stuff from sources that are not reliable any more. 1 in 4 pieces will have some kind of problem or all will be the wrong fit.

Taps and dies are another problematic tool now days. There are 3 different classifications for thread fit in SAE unified type threads. Some of these taps they make now are of unknown fit classification. Then there are the unified thread fasteners that are made in countries that have no idea about any particular threads let alone unified type. All I can say is be carefull with new fasteners and new taps & die sets. They might be way out of whack as to what they should be.

Fastenall and some of the other machinery supply type companies still try to get the better quality stuff but who knows how long that will last.
This is spot on advice!!!!
Old 04-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #9
joe 1950

usually grade 5 is pretty much across the board for assembling but for steering you could use grade 8 for better piece of mind
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote