Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #21
lazlobassett

Default Re: Scat Crank for model A rear main seal

BTw, my investmetn here is essentially pennies. The furnace is an old tempering kln I got at auction for 5 dollars, the red " green " sand is rather inexpensive if you goto lancaster Pa, the internet places are a rip off, the stuff is used by the ton and quite cheep at the right places with a little effort. My flasks are crude and the one Mike had pix made me salavat a little, he is right I can do better and likely will , justa bit of effort. These things here always comealong as a random thought, " I can do that" kinda thing and off we go!

I'm not exactly employed or looking to be exactly...if that makes any sense. I'm in Cream Ridge, NJ at 537 and 539 08514 the shop is large , warm and friendly aside from my dog who is kinda weird, like me but I rarely bite....she often does.

Welcome to pop in if in the neighborhood. 609-346-4669, people stop in all day everyday. Some to play pinball, some to have a beer, some to use the lifts. The shop was built for all of exactly that. I got lucky for a couple of years and the barn was what I wasted the money on,,,

Happy days! cheers!

Because a bottle in front of me
IS
better than a frontal lobotomy
lazlobassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #22
Joe K

Oh, please be careful. The Internet is a big and potentially hostile place.

You reveal too much. Maybe do an edit and "I can be reached by PM (private message?)

Thanks.

Joe K
Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #23
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlobassett View Post
BTw, my investmetn here is essentially pennies. The furnace is an old tempering kln I got at auction for 5 dollars, the red " green " sand is rather inexpensive if you goto lancaster Pa, the internet places are a rip off, the stuff is used by the ton and quite cheep at the right places with a little effort. My flasks are crude and the one Mike had pix made me salavat a little, he is right I can do better and likely will , justa bit of effort. These things here always comealong as a random thought, " I can do that" kinda thing and off we go!

I'm not exactly employed or looking to be exactly...if that makes any sense. I'm in Cream Ridge, NJ at 537 and 539 08514 the shop is large , warm and friendly aside from my dog who is kinda weird, like me but I rarely bite....she often does.

Welcome to pop in if in the neighborhood. 609-346-4669, people stop in all day everyday. Some to play pinball, some to have a beer, some to use the lifts. The shop was built for all of exactly that. I got lucky for a couple of years and the barn was what I wasted the money on,,,

Happy days! cheers!
Hey lazlo,
I've just read your thread and your B engine description. My B is almost a twin of yours. You could have saved a lot of effort by buying the chevy seals from Terry Burtz. His seals have been in my B for several years now and not a drop of oil leak. I've a new crank also , but mine was made by Dan Eubanks. Let's see pic of your engine setup. Good luck

BTW- your creativity/initiative is admired, but thot that you couldn't locate a good source of chev seal. WE have the 'interest'...but most don't have the facilities/time. Be safe...as in useing safety equipment , and considering potential explosions....is that a 5 gal gas can next to you work bench..yikes !

Last edited by hardtimes; 02-05-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: .....
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #24
lazlobassett

Well, i finally got back to the rear main seal thing on my B. The second casting worked fine, much better. I ddi get a " beige" seal but it really didn't fit well. I used a chevy 350 main cap for my dimensions, the fine print on the beige one said it was oversized for a 400, no problem the blue one fits perfect.
I had to cut away the outside of the rear main cap to accomodate the seal, bored it 3.12", the only machining needed to my engine for this. An easy one, non critical.

I made an insert to hold the seal in the outer groove from 3/8" aluminium plate. Much easier than working with a casting. Still it took me the best part of the day.

Here's pics from the day's efforts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil seal 032.jpg (161.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg oil seal 033.jpg (161.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg oil seal 034.jpg (160.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg oil seal 035.jpg (161.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg oil seal 036.jpg (160.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg oil seal 037.jpg (157.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg oil seal 038.jpg (162.4 KB, 82 views)

IS
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
lazlobassett

Unfortunately I forgot to take pic of machining the upper seal holder. It was pretty easy although time consuming with lots of cuts.

Here are two final pictures of the seal in place and the crank. the Scat crank sure isa nice piece, I can't wait to get this motor together, I'll be on it tomorrow.

Cheers!

matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil seal 039.jpg (161.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg oil seal 040.jpg (161.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg oil seal 041.jpg (162.4 KB, 97 views)

IS
Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #26
hardtimes

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hey Matt,
Nice work, congrats! What model scat is that? Stroker?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #27
lazlobassett

Unfortunately they don't offer a stroker crank so it is stock. I think it is the pet project of one of the principals of SCAT. Tom Lieb is the guy you talk to over there is you want one of these.

IS
Old 03-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #28
lazlobassett

Update: Bolted the crank in, it locked up. Apparently I ought to hve gone tot he 1st class machine shop but thought it was a simple thing and could go local. That was wrong. I got it back today, crank spns nice, 545.00 more for the super silly 4 pin.

I hope to get it assembled this week and run a bit...then road trip to Daytona beach....from Cream ride, NJ. I need to get out of here. God Do I need out....

IS
Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #29
lazlobassett

Finally got back to the B motor, well I did a few weeks ago and found the place that supposedly did the align boring didn't do it exactly as I expected. The crank locked up when I put it in. So off goes the block and crank to the real machine shop. I didn't send it to the usual place because they are expensive and I thought it a simple thing....yet another error.

Anyway, it came back spinning nicely. I have to shave the thrust bearing to make crankshaft endplay ( .006). Last night I went to putting the rods n pistons in. The JE pistons are full floaters that pop up about 3/16" above the deck. Once more I bolt in a rod and things don't spin. Turns out the bearings supplied with the SCAT crank N rods don't work with the Chanfer on the rod journels. I shaved the bearings on a belt sander that has a 90 degree table on it then took a die grinder, cut a bevel into the edges of the bearing shells, finishing with a polish with a flappy wheel.
Installed all 4 pistons and we have Happy Days! Today I'll install the cam and lifters. I need to order a pan and timing gaskets. it won't be long now until it begins making engine noises!

Cheers!

matt

IS
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #30
Don/WI

Great post. I appreciate people that can create parts completely on their own. Shows amazing talent. And as has been stated, many of us are certainly interested in this type of post and also somewhat envious. I have a very good friend that does this type of thing. He is currently working on a 3/8 scale Model "A" Engine in aluminum. He makes his own molds, pours the aluminum and machines the castings. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #31
Chris Haynes

LATE ADD:OMG! I just went back and looked at your pix, #4 you pouring without a full face shield.

He didn't need it. He had two open cans of Lite Beer handy.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #32
lazlobassett

Ahh...I had it on, just photo shopped it off so you all could see my face !

But really another posted about the dangers of pouring without that, I had no idea the gases could explode, I guess that comes from the i don't know what I'm doing but am going to do it anyway school. I'll be sure to wear one from then forward.

thanks,

Matt.

IS
Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #33
callcoy

First I admire your work and dedication, I believe you have inspired many Barners. I picked up quite late on rear main seal project and would like to state to those that are interested in a modern rear main seal that the one from Terry Burtz does work. The holder/shell like you made for the 350 seal is available from Dan Price for the Burtz seal. I am not using a Scat crank but a stock counter balanced crank from a "B" so I can not say if the Burtz/Price combo will work with a Scat crank. Those that are interested in this type of seal setup may want to contact Dan directly, he makes a number of realy neat things like OHV head assemblies, oil pumps and etc.