Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
JimNNN

Default Interesting customized Falcon.

These kind of custom cars are interesting to me because they look much less like customized cars and more like cars that ask the question, "what if the manufacturer had tried something like this?"

I don't at all like the way the roadster conversion panel looks on this car, but I'm really impressed with the workmanship and engineering involved with the other basic mods. (Don't stop watching til you've seen the trailer.) Maybe it doesn't accomplish it's task exactly the way a Skyliner did, but I think he did a pretty good job.

Of course, an option like this wouldn't have made sense on an economy car like the Falcon back in the day, but it's impressive that the builder followed through on such a daunting and challenging task.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-na0uPrlJYc
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: Interesting customized Falcon.

He did an excellent job and it looks awesome until he puts the roadster panel on. If it were me I think I would use the trailer to store the top and forget the roadster panel and all the electrics/hydraulics involved. Maybe fab up a convertible boot.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
scicala

That's an awful lot of engineering and work to end up with that ugly seal between the rear seat cover and the body. Not my cup of tea. I like it a lot better with the stock Sprint hardtop. Just my opinion.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
paul2748

Nice piece of engineering - but - Ford did the same thing back in 1957 and a number of foreign cars have had this option for a number of years..
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #5
JimNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Nice piece of engineering - but - Ford did the same thing back in 1957 and a number of foreign cars have had this option for a number of years..

Yes, it's not something I would've wanted to do to that car either, but my point was this guy had a passion for this type of thing, and followed his passion to a high level of execution. I think the convertible Lincolns and Thunderbirds of the early to mid sixties also had the retractable feature for their soft tops, and they were (as I understand it) only marginally less problematic than the Skyliners.

I really agree with scicala on the unsightly seal for the roadster panel. Strange that the builder would opt for this after a high level of execution on the other stuff. Dobie's idea of a convertible boot, or maybe even some sort of custom tonneau cover might've been a better option.

Oh well. Hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving.

Last edited by JimNNN; 11-29-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:21 AM   #6
Alaska Jim

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The quality of the work and the engineering is excellent . That said I am with Sal. I like it the way it was stock. just make it a factory 260V8 with a 4 sp.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Interesting customized Falcon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post

... just make it a factory 260V8 with a 4 sp.
How about a 347 w TRICK FLOW heads and 260 fender badges ... ?

Can we say SLEEPER?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
mercman from oz

The owner of this 1963 Ford Falcon has done a great job converting it to a Retractable Hardtop. His matching Trailer with side opening is also a work of art.
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
Alaska Jim

Kultulz, That would work for me.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:21 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Talking Re: Interesting customized Falcon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post

Kultulz, That would work for me.
It would have to look somewhat stock to trick 'em.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:15 PM   #11
mercman from oz

Something different. Here is another persons idea of a custom Falcon. This one started out as an Australian 1964 XM Falcon Sedan and the rear has been extended to accommodate the Continental Kit spare wheel. It also has high flying rear tail fins. Ford Australia never updated the falcons each year, but used the same body from 1960 to 1965. On the XM model of 1964, the taillights were placed higher as can be seen on the red XP Hardtop in the background. For the XP series, Mercury Comet front fenders were adopted.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:18 AM   #12
JimNNN

Thanks for the pics, mercman from Oz.

Something I never quite understood: What was the evolution of the Falcon in Australia? I know it started out somewhat similar to the US Falcon (save some trim differences) per your pics - essentially a big selling economy car. It eventually became a great looking muscle car in your country, however. Both the Falcon and the muscle car as a concept were pretty much dead in the US by the mid 70's. When did the AUS Falcon get that iconic styling (circa '75?) and how long did it last? It was very different from the Fords of the '70's in the US, and I don't quite understand why. They had some Falcon muscle cars in the US by the late 60's, but they never looked like the Australian versions, as far as I can tell.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #13
mercman from oz

This car is a 1972 XA Ford Falcon GT Sedan. In Australia, car companies didn't introduce a new car every year like they did in the USA. Some models were on sale for 18 months or longer before the next model was released. That is why models here were know by a code number, in this case, this model was known as an XA Falcon and was on sale from 1972 to 1973. The replacement was known as an XB model which were sold from 1973 to 1976. When the first Falcon was released in Australia, it was nearly identical to the USA model and was code named XK. it remained in production until it was replaced by the XL model mid 1962. The same body was used until 1966 when the XR series was introduced. The XR models had a similar body as your 1966 models. It was replaced in 1968 with the XT series. Then, for the XW and XY series, the same body was used but with new tail lights and different front fenders. The XA series (as per above pictures) was the first model to get all new styling that was completely Australian. If you want to see more about these Australian Falcons, check out this great Brochure Site. They show brochures from most models, and continue to add more when located. I personally have donated hundreds of scans from my collection of Falcon Brochures. It is a great Web Site. Regards Mercman <>< http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/Austr...con/index.html
Old 12-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #14
JimNNN

Thanks for the explanation. I learned something. I'll check out the link.

From what I can tell, there's another difference between American and Australian Fords: In Australia, they seemed to be willing to make some of the more conspicuous performance packages available in 4 door versions back then. Of course, it's common in the US today (with the Dodge Charger as the most obvious example) but back then it seemed that the most conspicuous muscle cars in the US were 2 doors. There were probably a few fast 4 doors that came out of the factory over here, but they were in what you might call the "sleeper" category...i.e., not overtly marketed as performance cars. Cop cars would be in this category.

Last edited by JimNNN; 12-02-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:25 PM   #15
mercman from oz

The Ford Falcon GT was also available for the first time as Hardtop in the 1972 XA series like this example. Ford Australia offered Falcon Hardtops in the XM & XP Series, but there were none for the XR, XT, XW or XY series. The roof line resembles the USA Ford Torino. This body styles was also available on lower priced cars that came with a 6 cylinder engine. These old Falcon Hardtops are very desirable cars in Australia these days. It is just a pity that people didn't take good care of them, as not too many remain.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:40 PM   #16
mercman from oz

The XB Series followed the XA Series, and they were once again available in the GT Series like these cars. While the Hardtop was available for the final time in the XC Series, there were no more Falcon GT's. The XB Falcon Sedan and Hardtop were the last Falcon GT's until the 1991 EB Falcon GT Sedan. The XB Falcons received a new grille and taillights that were different from the XA Series they replaced.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:53 PM   #17
mercman from oz

When Ford Australia finally decided to update the original 1960 (XK Series), they introduced this XL Series half way through 1962. At first glance, it does look like the USA 1963 Falcons, as it has the Thunderbird Roof Line, and the correct 63 style side chrome trim and taillights, (even though they were smaller than those on the USA 1963 Falcons), however, the biggest difference is in the front. Ford Australia carried over the original 1960 Falcon front fenders and hood. Even the front bumper was carried over, but was now fitted with park lights. Notice the grille and you will see that it is totally different to any that were released in the USA. we never received the true 61, 62, 63, 64 or 65 Falcons here, but we did receive a Hardtop in the XM & XP Series. The roof and front doors were imported and incorporated into the design of the Australian models. Hope that you enjoyed this short history on the Australia Ford Falcons.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #18
JimNNN

Thanks for more great pics. That early (XL) blue Falcon looks like the US Falcon, but you're right, the front is somehow different. Hard to notice at first - I think the headlights sit deeper in the grille.

I don't think most Americans were aware of the later Australian XA or XB Falcons until the Mad Max movies. They seemed to become desirable after that, though hardly anyone has one. I never saw one in person until I was in Australia last year, and even then I saw just the one.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:03 PM   #19
KULTULZ

What strikes me is how FORD of AU used the 351C whereas we used the 302/5.0L-5.8L. They also had a 302C. Lost of desirable engine parts there. Take-off heads were shipped in containers for re-sale.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #20
KULTULZ

Post Re: Interesting customized Falcon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

1972 XA

This car appears (to me) as a 68 MONTEGO FRT and a 71 TORINO Fastback rear.

- DISCLAIMER -