Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Default Prep for Powder Coating of Wheels

After reading numerous threads about the Powder Coating process I did not see one which spoke to how the PC guy should keep the lug nut holes clear of the PC product. Can anyone explain what needs to be done so as not the have the PC in the lug nut holes.

thanks for your time.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Prep for Powder Coating of Wheels

I personally made a bracket to hold the wheel that had 5 studs so the holes were covered.

There is another issue you MUST be concerned about. Build up of material where the wheel contacts the drum. After powder coating you want to take sand paper to the edge that contacts the drum and sand it very thin or to bare metal. The paint will rub off and then lug nuts will get a little loose. If the paint is slightly uneven it will warp the drum causing the brakes to pulse. If I remember correctly when I put a wheel on the drum and check out of round I got .013" which went back to about .001 when I sanded the paint off.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
denis4x4

A good powder coat operation has plugs for the lug holes. I've had three sets of wire wheels done and material build up on the back side of the hub has never been an issue. After reading a number of threads on the subject of powder coating, I've come to the conclusion that not all powder coating operations are equal based on many of the posts here and on the HAMB.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #4
Mr. Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
A good powder coat operation has plugs for the lug holes. I've had three sets of wire wheels done and material build up on the back side of the hub has never been an issue. After reading a number of threads on the subject of powder coating, I've come to the conclusion that not all powder coating operations are equal based on many of the posts here and on the HAMB.
I agree with denis. They use a high temp silicone plug on the lug holes or threaded holes they do not want the powder to get into. I have done hundreds of parts over the past twenty five years and it helps to have a competent powder coater not only for the powder coating but the sand blasting can do worse damage if they don't know what they are doing.
Mr. Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Cape Codder

I did not realize there is a powder coating primer until reading some more threads on this site today. My question is what is the difference between epoxy primer and polyester primer? One better than the other or is asking this like what is the best oil?
Old 05-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
drscott

I had a local body shop owner talk me out of PC. He sandblasted mine and then painted. They were black but are now painted a beautiful yellow.
drscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
spdway1

No reason for PC. Just Epoxy Primer and paint, a restoration shop local to me did mine FLAWLESS...Sandblast, Epoxy Prime, Paint to match for $85 a wheel last year. I is hard to beat that.
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
John LaVoy

I have switched to powder coating. Found it to be much cheaper, less than half of the $85 a wheel cost given earlier in posts. Much harder finish than paint and available in any color.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
I did not realize there is a powder coating primer until reading some more threads on this site today. My question is what is the difference between epoxy primer and polyester primer? One better than the other or is asking this like what is the best oil?
Cape,
My pc'er primes all car related parts before pc'ing them. I never asked what he uses for primer.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
Neal

Powder coated rims will not chip the finish off as easy as paint will.

I am sure I will get beat up for saying this but I powder coat my wheels the same as I paint them, all over. I have done several rims both paint and powder coating. Have not had a problem with either. Most of these rims are the solid Ford rims for 40-48's. I have not done any of the spokes.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
spdway1

And when they do chip, now what??
Stop by my place, I will show you a few trucks, a 2007 International and a 2010 Freightliner that has factory PC flaking of in sheets.
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
And when they do chip, now what??
Stop by my place, I will show you a few trucks, a 2007 International and a 2010 Freightliner that has factory PC flaking of in sheets.
I don't have the rims from Freightliner or International so I could not comment on those. I did the powder coating on old Ford rims and they are on a Model A, a 1935 coupe and a Spartan camper. I have not had a chip yet but when they do I will probably take some black enamel paint and a match stick or paint brush and dab a little bit of paint on the spot.

There is nothing mysterious about powder coating. It is a dry plastic dust that you melt in the oven between cooking pizzas. It can fail just like paint and when it does, sandblast it and do it again.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
Cape Codder

Would like to thank everyone who responded to this thread. The question I asked in #5 post
"One better than the other or is asking this like what is the best oil?". That is also the same for paint versus powder coating. So it comes down to my choice as there is no cut and dry answer. I will have them powder coated but still have two decisions to make. Primer or no primer and Straw or Tacoma Cream, both of which will be decided when I talk to the powder coater.
Again Thanks to all for your responses.