Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #21
Ford Freak

Default Re: 1958 Ford Fairlane Spring Model?

A couple of observations :

The rear "portholes" or whatever you want to call them look similar to the ones on the rear of the '62 T-Bird . Personally , I like 'em !

The pic of the bronze & white hardtop above looks like it is missing the piece of special trim that goes past the door , into the quarter panel .
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #22
mercman from oz

Hi Ford Freak, I picked up on the missing piece on the rear quarter on the Tudor Sedan, but as these cars seem to be so rare, I thought that I would add this picture. Maybe, the Owner is still trying to locate this missing piece?Regarding the Port Holes, they seem to be more oblong than round, but do look good. They are on all the updated "Spring" model 58 Fairlanes.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #23
Ford Freak

Hey mercman ! If the owner is still trying to locate that missing piece , I wish him luck ! He's going to need it ....
Thanks for posting all the pics !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:25 AM   #24
Fidget

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just got here!
The VIN on my 58 translates out to a Town Victoria, that originally had dual quads....I really wish those were left on it! The side scallop trim throws a lot of people off, the scallop trim with the insert seems to have been on the Canadian models, and the Ford Meteor. Mine never had the center insert, and I also had the three pseudo air scoops on the rear fenders. The horizontal spear on the side was the usual trim. There were 14 different models available in 58, and this was also a time that you could order a factory custom car. I think mine was someone's custom order as it has a mix of features from different models, but who's to say what was added after market during the last 57 years. I'm going from memory here, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
This period was the beginning of the jet age, and you can see the styling in the cars of that era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88050012.jpg (69.8 KB, 35 views)
Fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:26 PM   #25
mercman from oz

Fidget, When I originally added these Photos, I didn't know how to make them large, now I do. The photo of the top 4 cars from the "base" Fairlane Series is from the original Sales Brochure that was printed in late 1957 illustrating the cars available for the 1958 models year. Some months after the release of the 1958 Fords, Ford Motor Company decided to add additional Chrome Trim on the sides, as illustrated in the Revised Sales Brochure for the "base" 1958 Ford Fairlanes. There does not appear to be any changes in Trim on the Fairlane 500 models, just the "base" Fairlane Series. It includes the three "rectangular" Trim Pieces on the rear quarters, as is evident in these illustrations.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:33 PM   #26
mercman from oz

Here are some enlarged pictures of the "Spring" model 1958 Ford Fairlane. As you can see, the car at the bottom is missing the Trim Pieces from the rear quarters. These Fairlanes with the "update" Trim seem to be scarce. Then again, you don't see many 58 Fairlanes with the original side trim these days either, which is a pity.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #27
wbedwards

Personally, I like the Mainline Ute.
wbedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #28
RCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedwards View Post
Personally, I like the Mainline Ute.
I like 'em also.
RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #29
hardlyrider

It's nice some out there appreciate the '58. I have a '58 F100, but the car is another story. I always thought the '60 was the ugliest Ford ever and the '58 was a close second. It's like they regressed from the '57 but at least regained some ground with the '59 IMHO. I don't know what happened in '60 !

Favorite or not, I sure have enjoyed the pictures and a little Ford Australia trivia!
hardlyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #30
Fidget

If I paid more attention to the computer, I'd respond faster than once every few weeks.
The side trim is rare to find here in the states. The insert seems to be even rarer. Mine never had the insert. I've been inside the doors, and there are no holes for mounting the pieces. Every Canadian model I've found with this trim seems to have come with the inserts. I've been trying to piece together another 'just in case' set of trim for years. I've only been able to find a couple pieces. Just a thought, is your brochure printed for the Australian models?

Fidget, When I originally added these Photos, I didn't know how to make them large, now I do. The photo of the top 4 cars from the "base" Fairlane Series is from the original Sales Brochure that was printed in late 1957 illustrating the cars available for the 1958 models year. Some months after the release of the 1958 Fords, Ford Motor Company decided to add additional Chrome Trim on the sides, as illustrated in the Revised Sales Brochure for the "base" 1958 Ford Fairlanes. There does not appear to be any changes in Trim on the Fairlane 500 models, just the "base" Fairlane Series. It includes the three "rectangular" Trim Pieces on the rear quarters, as is evident in these illustrations.[/QUOTE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Options.jpg (36.1 KB, 230 views)
Fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:50 AM   #31
mercman from oz

Here is an enlarged picture of the Spring Model of the 1958 Ford Fairlane.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:27 AM   #32
mercman from oz

Just like in the USA, where Ford offered the 1958 Fords in Fairlane and Fairlane 500 models, as well as the Custom 300 series, it appears that in Canada, the Meteor Rideau was also available in Rideau and Rideau 500 models. These photos show the more economical Rideau series which has similar side trim the the 1958 USA Ford Fairlane. Note that there is no rectangular trim on the rear quarters of either of these cars. Was there a Spring model available in this Series?
Old 12-01-2015, 05:35 AM   #33
mercman from oz

The top 2 pictures show the Meteor Rideau 500, both 2 door hardtop models. Once again, like the 58 USA Fairlanes, the Side Trim is very similar, if not exactly the same as the 58 USA Fairlane 500's. The Blue and White Hardtop doesn't have the Rectangular side trim on the rear quarters, while the Gold and White one does. Is the second car a Spring model?
The last photo shows a closeup of the Grille that is in these 1958 Meteors.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #34
deuce5wndw

mercman, I am not a 58 expert but have been in the parts business for a number of years and have found that moulding in the center to be an accessory. I have one in the original box with a part number of B8A-6420000-B. It came with the gold anodized and the stainless surround for the gold and also the 6 portholes in the box with all the clips. It also came with the gunsight fender ornaments in the box but those were always robbed out to sell separately. I have seen a few of those but very few installed on a car. Hope this helps, Dale.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #35
mercman from oz

A friend just sent me these pictures of a Ford Fairlane with the added trim in the sides and called a Springtime Special.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:17 AM   #36
mercman from oz

Sales Brochure showing the 1958 Ford Fairlane "Spring" Models. They were only available in these four body styles. You don't see many of these cars these days. Even the original "plain" Fairlanes prior to the Spring Models are seldom scene.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:07 AM   #37
mercman from oz

Another 1958 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan "Spring" model. This one wearing 1957 Ford Hubcaps
Old 01-05-2020, 07:21 AM   #38
mercman from oz

Remains of a Spring model 1958 Ford Fairlane.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #39
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
You guys in the USA don't realise how well off you are when it comes to cars & the variety that was available. As mentioned earlier, Ford Australia decided not to release the true 57 or 58 Fords, but offered a restyle on the 55/56 Fords for both years. The following pictures are of Australian 1958 Fords. The ones with the additional narrow chrome strip starting on the front door & extending to the rear with the added third colour were called Fordomatics, & naturally came with an Automatic Transmission. For those that wanted a stick shift, they could choose the cheaper Customline, which lacks the extra rear trim. The White & Maroon car is such a car. While you see the occasional 1958 Fordomatic at car shows, the Customline with the 3 speed manual is hardly ever seen & are extremely rare, as by 1958, nearly all buyers opted for an automatic transmission. The styling of these cars is a mix of 1955 & 1956 Canadian Meteors. The Grilles came from the 55 Meteor, while the side & rear trim came from the 1956 Meteor. Now you can appreciate why Australians go shopping in the USA for the true 1958 models. I hope that Ford Barners enjoy this little bit of Australian History.
The piece of chrome below the tail lamps, is that Australian. Looks like it could have been a color break line if the cars were painted the top color down to the bumper. Never noticed them before today. Didn't find any pics of rear of meteors. On the 58's.

Last edited by 5851a; 01-05-2020 at 11:24 AM. Reason: additional info
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #40
mercman from oz

5851a, As mentioned in an earlier Post, Australia never got the true 1958 Fords. We missed out on the 1957 and 1958 models but got back into step with the 1959 models. The 1959 model was the last "big" Ford available here until the 1964 Galaxie. From 1962-1964, Ford Australia offered the Compact Fairlane before adding the 1964 Galaxie. We then got the Galaxie from 1964-1968, then it was replaced by the LTD from 1969-1972, then there were no more big USA Fords after 1972.