Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #21
tubman

Default Re: Could It Be :The rare 1940 Ford Deluxe Electric Clock

I agree about the advice, "rockfla", but I wish he would have broken it down into a few paragraphs. I literally ran out of breath reading it!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #22
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I agree about the advice, "rockfla", but I wish he would have broken it down into a few paragraphs. I literally ran out of breath reading it!
Yes Tubeman
But it was more a "put your arm around his shoulders" approach "as a friend" type of post NOT a "slap on the hand" type!! Very eloquently put!!! AND backed by absolute "FACT"
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Yes Tubeman
But it was more a "put your arm around his shoulders" approach "as a friend" type of post NOT a "slap on the hand" type!! Very eloquently put!!! AND backed by absolute "FACT"

Aw shucks, guys! You implying that I might have said something nice for a change? I do appreciate the kind words, though. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

THIS Special Edition for Tubman ONLY! DD

Welcome to FordBarn, Bronco Don! I see that you came on board officially just a little over a year ago.

Now, with all DUE respect, it's seemingly obvious that you haven't gotten to really know some of the regular participants in this forum community. Lots of different types of folks here among us, such as the "relative newbies" like yourself, likely trying to gather serious information about an old Ford V8 that they somehow became the keeper thereof. And, there are some that frequent the forum almost daily that don't even own an old car...they merely have the interest, and likely just enjoy the camaraderie that this site offers in abundance.

There are guys and even the occasional gal around here that own more than one old Ford, not to mention those that also own different varieties of "off brand" vehicles, even a Ford flathead V8-powered WWII tank-like armored vehicle, for instance. Can't begin to tell ya how many young folks AND old geezers there are onboard that just come here to swap and share an unbelievable and priceless cache of knowledge and experience that they have amassed with these old, used cars over the decades.

What you MAY not realize yet is that there are some people, and somewhat more than just a few here on this site, that take this stuff SERIOUSLY....like you have no idea just how seriously! As an example, we have one particular 1932 Ford guy that has spent the better part of his life owning, restoring, lecturing and writing nationally and globally-acclaimed reference and judging materials, documents, books and manuals. This walking encyclopedia of things "old Ford" learned it all the hard way, traveling the globe in search of parts, cars, information, and not to forget that he spent much of his career in the top floor offices of Ford, including rubbing elbows with Henry II and other notables on a daily basis. He's a "regular" here on the 'Barn and is more than gracious in sharing his unprecedented research and knowledge when it comes to 1932 Fords.

One more fellow FordBarner of note is Mike Kubarth, who goes by "Kube" on these pages. You've seen some of Kube's posts right here in this thread. Kube is not only the '39-'40 Ford "go to" guy here on the 'Barn...his 1939 and 1940 restorations regularly judge at 1,000 and 999 points, and have been nationally recognized and sought-after for many years now. Mike is one of those guys who admittedly is driven to absolute authenticity and perfection by his self-proclaimed OCD. Mike is a retired tool and die guy, well experienced in the business world, and like I mentioned earlier, beyond passionate when it comes to accurate information and authenticity.

Your kind offer for us to peruse your informational books and pamphlets is well-taken. What you likely don't realize is that there is a plethora of available information, data and official documentation of unimaginable extent and content in the official Ford archives at The Benson Ford Research Center in Dearborn, MI. These serious guys don't just look at pamphlets like you show, nor do they just pull this stuff out of their collective butts. These extensive facilities in Dearborn are accessible to the public. Some of these serious guys have made MANY trips and spent hundreds of hours at the center researching whatever topic and era of vehicle that they have need for.

Kube is getting close to finishing-up his long-awaited and much-needed 1940 Ford judging manual for the Early Ford V8 Club of America. It's an endeavor that Mike has put MANY years and umpteen hundreds of hours of sweat, frustration, research and elbow grease into. You can be assured that ANY information that makes it into the final printing of that book, or even onto the pages of this forum, is factual and without doubt well-documented.

Not only does Kube's information come from written documents...this guy has owned well over 200 1940 Fords, with a few '39s thrown in there for good measure, since he caught the bug at about age 14 when he and his brother would scour the weekend newspapers in Chicago and Milwaukee, then head out to see what kind of '40 they could buy and turn during any particular week. Over the years, Mike has been able to pick-apart, photograph and document all of these ORIGINAL cars with a vengeance.

So, for what it's worth, if Kube makes a statement pertaining to a '40 Ford, you can take it to the bank. I believe that most anyone here will tell ya that there's not another breathing soul on the planet with more 1940 Ford expertise than Mike Kubarth….PERIOD! That clock info that Kube gave you above...it's true scoop! Hoping you enjoy your time here on the FordBarn. DD

Soo...does this help ya breath any mo-better, Denny?

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #25
35fordtn

Might anyone know the Ford Part# for this elusive clock? I would presume if it was a Genuine Ford Accessory it would have a part number, which as the Service letter indicates this is not simply Folk Lore that this clock existed, in addition to the Fact Mike has supplied a photo of one.

Last edited by 35fordtn; 11-21-2019 at 04:13 PM.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #26
tubman

You know, Mr Coopman, it really is a lot easier to read, at least for me. Thank you. I also agree it is a message that should get out, and the easier it is to understand, the better.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #27
Ken/Alabama

Here’s a couple pictures of the one I have .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1804FC54-9036-4729-B169-63AFF7D8166A.jpg (35.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg E1D37743-2886-43A6-8DA1-75316A9569C1.jpg (40.6 KB, 95 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
You know, Mr Coopman, it really is a lot easier to read, at least for me. Thank you. I also agree it is a message that should get out, and the easier it is to understand, the better.

Hey Denny...You're so right....it IS much easier to absorb this way. I just got carried-away in the moment and kept-on keeping-on! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #29
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Here’s a couple pictures of the one I have .

OMG Ken, don't let Kubarth see that or he'll be knocking on your front door. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-21-2019, 10:52 PM   #30
Bronco Don

Hello All,

Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciated it. First of all, I’m not trying to challenge anyone’s knowledge here. I know that this is one of the most respected and knowledgeable early FORD forums on the internet. I also know that there is a lot of missing and misinformation in general about the early days of the FORD Motor Company. I was only asking where the information about the electric clock came from, the source. We have all heard many stories that sound good, that make sense, but we could not be certain about. Car lines, different factories, etc., and seeing a real document or official literature really can put truth and clarity to the stories. The service letter is not even in the “The 1940 FORD Book” just the story. I did not post the catalog and reference manual to one-up, challenge or show-off to anyone, just to add to the discussion.

Every car my family and I have owned, we try to find as much original documentation, literature and service manuals as possible. I would like to thank Terry OH for page 3 of that service letter, It certainly is a great piece in this puzzle. That being said, now I have more questions. Who was this service letter being sent to? And did it originate at the Milwaukee assembly plant ? Or was it direction from World Headquarters Dearborn? I’m sure these questions are answered in the first two pages, could you post them as well?

I know by asking these additional questions that I’m going to ruffle a few feathers, but that is not my intention. I’m really just trying to get a clear understanding, and confirmation of the origins of this clock.

About me. My father was a Transmission mechanic taught by his father who started the family transmission shop in the 1950’s. As a young adult in the 70’s to the 90’s I saw and helped my father with 3 frame-off restorations. 34 Cabriolet, 34 5 Window, and a 57 Belair. I have been going to swap meets since I was born. My first job at 14 years old was working for Bill Norton, Valley FORD Parts. Bill was a lifelong family friend, and I was lucky to know and learn from him. Our family at this time owns a 32 Roadster, 40 Woodie, 48 F1, 63 Lincoln, 65 Mustang conv, 66 GT350H, and a 74 Bronco which has been my everyday driver for the last 10 years. Most of these cars have been in our family for over 20 years, and my father and I still service and repair them ourselves. So I hope you can all understand, I’m just as passionate about FORDs (and anything mechanical) as most of you are. That is why I came here in search of this information, on the best early FORD forum on the web.

Lastly, I’m sure that Mike is one of the most knowledgeable people for the 40 FORDs, and I’m looking forward to the latest edition of the Early Ford V8 Club of America Judging Manual (I have the 3rd Printing of the 1940 FORD Book). **V8Coopman thanks for the correction on my typo.
Bronco Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:17 PM   #31
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Don View Post
Hello All,

I would like to thank Terry OH for page 3 of that service letter, It certainly is a great piece in this puzzle. That being said, now I have more questions. Who was this service letter being sent to? And did it originate at the Milwaukee assembly plant ? Or was it direction from World Headquarters Dearborn? I’m sure these questions are answered in the first two pages, could you post them as well.
That attachment (from Terry, OH)Sure looks likes the typical Service branch letter format sent to ALL Ford Dealers from Ford. A practice that is still active to this day. You mentioned that this letter is not in the 1940 Book you currently own. While i do not have any 1940 service branch letters, I have MANY from other years. There are so many service branch letters issued within one year that it doesn't make sense to publish them all in the V-8 Clubs restoration book. A expert such as Mike Kubarth will likely carefully dissect the information in them to provide the important notes.

As mentioned, The BFRC (Benson Ford Research Center) would be a excellent place for you to visit. Granted I have only been there a handful of times, but you can literally research most any part such as the electric clock mentioned in this thread. Thus, my asking for the Ford part# as next time I am there I will put it on my list of things to research.

Let's face it, we are all nerds, and cannot get enough of this Early Ford info!
Old 11-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #32
Terry,OH

Michael: Ford Chassis parts books do not list a part number for a 1940 electric clock. From the information in the Service Letter the 40 electric clock did not come to the dealer from any Ford warehouse or factory but directly from New Haven, it is possible Ford never issued a part number for the electric clock. The part number for the stem wind clock was 01A-15002-B. Electric clocks for the 39 and 40 Mercury had a basic part number of 15005. The 40 electric clock is very much like an aftermarket accessory, with the exception it was authorized by Ford.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #33
Bored&Stroked

I think it is a very healthy thing that folks can come onto the barn, bring opinions, have ideas, ask questions and not get slaughtered. This is a place for all of us to work to increase our collective knowledge of early Fords.

I learned many years ago that asking the questions of "what, when, how or why" is important . . . in that I've found that we all have biases and things we regard as "facts" and really don't know their origin and sometimes if they are even true.

Sometimes (due to the questions being asked) we then have to step back, dig a bit deeper and try to determine why we believe what we do, or maybe how is it that we know something, where did it come from and are we sure. On occasion, we then have to research a bit more, maybe even change our views on something we held as gospel.

We're all in a continuous learning process . . . there is always more to know.

Good discussion - learned a lot about 40 Ford Clocks today! LOL

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #34
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I think it is a very healthy thing that folks can come onto the barn, bring opinions, have ideas, ask questions and not get slaughtered. This is a place for all of us to work to increase our collective knowledge of early Fords.

I learned many years ago that asking the questions of "what, when, how or why" is important . . . in that I've found that we all have biases and things we regard as "facts" and really don't know their origin and sometimes if they are even true.

Sometimes (due to the questions being asked) we then have to step back, dig a bit deeper and try to determine why we believe what we do, or maybe how is it that we know something, where did it come from and are we sure. On occasion, we then have to research a bit more, maybe even change our views on something we held as gospel.

We're all in a continuous learning process . . . there is always more to know.

Good discussion - learned a lot about 40 Ford Clocks today! LOL

B&S
I agree with you. Lord knows I continue to learn. In fact, that's part of the fun of daily life - learning new things.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #35
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Michael: Ford Chassis parts books do not list a part number for a 1940 electric clock. From the information in the Service Letter the 40 electric clock did not come to the dealer from any Ford warehouse or factory but directly from New Haven, it is possible Ford never issued a part number for the electric clock. The part number for the stem wind clock was 01A-15002-B. Electric clocks for the 39 and 40 Mercury had a basic part number of 15005. The 40 electric clock is very much like an aftermarket accessory, with the exception it was authorized by Ford.
Terry, I believe you nailed this. One thing I might add, just opinion... this clock was never offered as a service part and that too (with your theory) would preclude a part number assignment.
My guess is this clock was offered to fill a small gap. That gap? Folks that really wanted such a thing. I doubt many folks did. After all, to spend nearly $10 to replace a clock that worked on a low price car... why?
Old 11-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #36
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Good point. This was a fun and entertaining thread and I sure learned from it.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #37
TJ

I would suspect that the special pigtail wire harness came with the clock to plug into the factory harness?
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #38
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Terry, I believe you nailed this. One thing I might add, just opinion... this clock was never offered as a service part and that too (with your theory) would preclude a part number assignment.
My guess is this clock was offered to fill a small gap. That gap? Folks that really wanted such a thing. I doubt many folks did. After all, to spend nearly $10 to replace a clock that worked on a low price car... why?

Yup, and to emphasize that, $10 in 1940 translates to $180 today - lotta money for a clock.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #39
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I would suspect that the special pigtail wire harness came with the clock to plug into the factory harness?
TJ, I would think you to be correct. However, in my research that was never found.
When I have installed these clock, I have used the '40 Merc clock harness.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #40
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesloyrag77 View Post
my 40 Merc came with an electric clock, doesn't work yet?
ALL '40 Mercs came with an electric clock.