Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #21
George Miller

Default Re: parking brake lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
How much play should I have in my parking brake lever on my ’29 cabriolet? Right now, it easily pulls back one click, but I’ve got to put my foot on the front floorboard and really strain to get it to click again. And then, to release it, I almost have to use both hands to pull that lever back to engage the button and release it.

I’ve measured my parking brake rods and the’re both 43 and 1/2 inches long from the end of the screw-on attachment to the end without.. However, the front attachment on the driver’s side is screwed onto the rod 8 and 1/2 full turns while the passenger’s side is only six full turns to fit on the spindle. The parking brake works fine without the rods attached, but I’m not satisfied with it when it is applied with the rods attached. The rear drums don’t seem to lock up the way I’d expect.
oth rBear drum nuts have been tightened and then backed off so the cotter pins fit. My brake shoes look almost new and I’ve cleaned and used graphite grease under all places where the shoes make contact with the drums. My brake adjusters are clean, lubed, and turn freely.

Oh by the way, I still have the steel drums instead of the cast iron, but they are smooth without any grooves or imperfections.

My whole mechanical braking system seems to be so straight-forward without any weird crap. However, I’m sure having trouble with those brakes. My car is up in the air with jack stands front and rear right now, so any helpful information would be put to use.

Thanks,
Mike
You might want to rethink your axle nuts. They should have about 100 lbs torque. You will end up with a loose hub the way they are now.

As far as the brakes you have some good advice from some.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: parking brake lever

"I’ve cleaned and used graphite grease under all places where the shoes make contact with the drums."

I'm sure you meant backing plates rather than drums.
I also put a dab of grease on any support spots that could rub and squeak.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)