Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
rob63mess

Default embarassing question

Hey guys...sort of an embarrassing question....but exactly how do I go about disconnecting the drive shaft from the tranny so that I can remove the engine and tranny.....I have never had to do this.
rob63mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
mshmodela

Default Re: embarassing question

There is a procedure listed in Les Andrews Model A Ford mechanics handbook Vol 1:

http://www.amazon.com/Model-A-Ford-m.../dp/0965824004

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
bambooboy

rob, have had my A for 1 year,have no books or resto guides,just ford barn.i have found everything by asking or doing a search.in the year 2014 books to me are a thing of the past.just my opinion. tom
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob63mess View Post
Hey guys...sort of an embarrassing question....but exactly how do I go about disconnecting the drive shaft from the tranny so that I can remove the engine and tranny.....I have never had to do this.
Don't be embarrassed to ask questions, that's how us "A" newb's learn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooboy View Post
... in the year 2014 books to me are a thing of the past...
Seriously??
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Unless the tranny needs work I think it's easier to leave the tranny in place and disconnect at the flywheel cover to clutch cover.

What ever you do make sure the throttle linkage is removed first before lifting the engine, and is installed last after the engine is set in place during reassembly.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
bambooboy

seriously,i get by quite well with the net&my kindle.as I said that's my opinion(that's the only opinion that matters).
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
rob63mess

if ignorance is bliss....I am very blissful.......tom the tranny needs to be pulled as well...do I just remove the 6 bolts that hold the drive shaft cup?
Old 11-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Yes, remove the top and bottom halves of the cover, and note how the bolt heads face. One faces opposite the others.

The internet is a good supplement to books.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Clem Clement

SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try and I'm sure my bros and sises on this net with improve my thoughts. From my head:

First two actions are to stop and think. Do not rush out to the shed with a fist full of tools and undo nuts and screws willy-nilly:

1) what is busted? Does the engine/tranny need to come out to fix the problem?

2). Where is this operation going to happen? The car may be down for months and winter is coming. When you take a car apart, the volume needs for the parts equal 3 times their current size. You have to put the parts someplace and still have space to work on both the car and the sick part. What/who is going to lift the engine out?

3) do you have a car club or friends to help you?

4) gather the tools you need

5) Think about buying the Les Andrews book or others to help you. have a catalogue like Brattons available for research and circle the replacement parts you will need.

Before you lay a wrench on the car, be sure it has a name because you are going to be calling it a lot over the next weeks ( "SOB" or "That thing " or *@&+_%## is not good enough).

Get your camera ready and take plenty of photos. Also have some zip lock bags or some kind of containers to hold and help sort your parts. Have a note pad ready and write down your thoughts as you dissemble the car. When you bust a bolt or part, note that it will have to be replaced. A broken part does not fix itself over time.

Drain and remove the radiator. See it you can hang it someplace out of the way. The fragile fins are a magnet for a flying tool.

Undo do things attached to the car: like accelerator link, choke rod, wire at the junction box, battery cable, clutch/brake/emerg. brake, fuel line etc.

Support the engine from underneath or install chain hoist from above.

Remove the clamshell around the universal joint

Unbolt the engine and tranny feet. Be sure everything is well supports. Don't do this part alone.

SAFETY FIRST!!!!

Have help lifting out the E/T. I have been engine hooks fail and the engine drop.

What did I miss?

( Do not consume liquid courage during this operation)
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try and I'm sure my bros and sises on this net with improve my thoughts. From my head:

First two actions are to stop and think. Do not rush out to the shed with a fist full of tools and undo nuts and screws willy-nilly:

1) what is busted? Does the engine/tranny need to come out to fix the problem?

2). Where is this operation going to happen? The car may be down for months and winter is coming. When you take a car apart, the volume needs for the parts equal 3 times their current size. You have to put the parts someplace and still have space to work on both the car and the sick part. What/who is going to lift the engine out?

3) do you have a car club or friends to help you?

4) gather the tools you need

5) Think about buying the Les Andrews book or others to help you. have a catalogue like Brattons available for research and circle the replacement parts you will need.

Before you lay a wrench on the car, be sure it has a name because you are going to be calling it a lot over the next weeks ( "SOB" or "That thing " or *@&+_%## is not good enough).

Get your camera ready and take plenty of photos. Also have some zip lock bags or some kind of containers to hold and help sort your parts. Have a note pad ready and write down your thoughts as you dissemble the car. When you bust a bolt or part, note that it will have to be replaced. A broken part does not fix itself over time.

Drain and remove the radiator. See it you can hang it someplace out of the way. The fragile fins are a magnet for a flying tool.

Undo do things attached to the car: like accelerator link, choke rod, wire at the junction box, battery cable, clutch/brake/emerg. brake, fuel line etc.

Support the engine from underneath or install chain hoist from above.

Remove the clamshell around the universal joint

Unbolt the engine and tranny feet. Be sure everything is well supports. Don't do this part alone.

SAFETY FIRST!!!!

Have help lifting out the E/T. I have been engine hooks fail and the engine drop.

What did I miss?

( Do not consume liquid courage during this operation)
Not a darn thing!...Right on.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
Brendan

take off the hood?

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
CarlG

I bought the books way before I bought my PU. Sure, you can get answers here, but there's nothing like being able to open the book and get the answer when you need it "right now".
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #13
Brendan

I can say photos are good , when I was putting my motor back in I has the rear trany mount in wrong. I had to get the motor back abut a 1/4 in. I tried to force it back. but I knew that was bad. then I figured out the rear trany mount was wrong

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #14
Roadster62

Train things first. Bob
Old 11-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #15
rob63mess

The car is in my shop so there are worries there....I have pulled motors out of other cares before and my friends and I are pretty mechanically inclined and have the equipment to do it. With that said, I haven't pulled an a engine and wanted to pick the brains of you guys. Without a doubt, without the folks on here, it would be a lot more difficult....thanks as always.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #16
rob63mess

Thank you Brent....I thought this was a forum where we share knowledge and ideas. I have a shelf full of books that I have purchased over the years while working on my model a's and model t's. I really don't expect something for nothing. Often the folks on here have a different perspective or extra tips and tricks that the books don't offer.
Thanks to all that have helped. Brent if ever I need your help, please be sure to invoice me and I'll pay you for your time. God Bless.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #17
Al 29Tudor

Right on Brent!
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #18
Fred K-OR

Quote:
if ignorance is bliss....I am very blissful.......tom the tranny needs to be pulled as well...do I just remove the 6 bolts that hold the drive shaft cup?
Don't forget the two bolts that support the front of the engine! And lookout so you don't mess up the crank pulley when you pull the engine over the front cross member.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #19
Terry,NJ

Hey! That's not fair! Brent has a business but gives his time and experience where asked for it. Furthermore, On a couple of occasions, I have spoken to him on the phone and he's always been helpful. He has taken time away from his business to help me and never once asked for anything. I agree with your contention that we're all here to help eachother....Gratis, But Brent is not the one to be saying that to.
Terry

Quote:
Thank you Brent....I thought this was a forum where we share knowledge and ideas. I have a shelf full of books that I have purchased over the years while working on my model a's and model t's. I really don't expect something for nothing. Often the folks on here have a different perspective or extra tips and tricks that the books don't offer.
Thanks to all that have helped. Brent if ever I need your help, please be sure to invoice me and I'll pay you for your time. God Bless.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #20
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
Hey! That's not fair! Brent has a business but gives his time and experience where asked for it. Furthermore, On a couple of occasions, I have spoken to him on the phone and he's always been helpful. He has taken time away from his business to help me and never once asked for anything. I agree with your contention that we're all here to help eachother....Gratis, But Brent is not the one to be saying that to.
Terry
Amen to that one Terry!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote