Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
dudley32

Default identify 59 Flathead V-8

A friend of mine bought a rebuilt V8 that needed some valve adjustment and when the intake was removed we noticed some differences immediately. There appears to be a strengthening rib cast into the block between the valves in the lifter gallery. In addition there is an third undrilled boss beside oil pressure bosses on the rear of the engine. The numbers cast into the integral bell housing are K25611L and then there's a B6 to the right of that. He doesn't want to pull the heads to see if it has factory relief...Does this sound like a military block?

Last edited by dudley32; 12-17-2019 at 12:59 PM.
dudley32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: identify 59 Flathead V-8

I'd have to see a photo of the valve chamber to help answer your question about a rib. The information about military engines is limited but I can say that they have similar characteristics to the 41A and 59A blocks since both have the unused boss near the oil pressure ports on the back side of the block. Not all post war 59 series blocks have the "59" on the back bell. Some Canadian engines are out there too but they are marked on the front for the most part. Many of the wartime Universal Carrier engines had the third boss opened up for it's special oil system requirements. Some truck engines had it too for bypass filtering systems that differ from the normal types.

We used to have a really good Flathead ID with photos thread on here but it has lost a lot of the photos to Photobucket. Here is a link. It still has some uploaded photos though so it's not totally lost. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...5301&showall=1
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
dudley32

can't seem to post a picture but here's a link to one that looks the same as the one we're working on...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...athead.752770/

sorry...you'll have to scroll down to the picture
Old 12-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
rotorwrench

I didn't see anything out of the ordinary on that photo. The 59 is a dead give away that that one is a post war engine.

To post photos, you have to click the "Go Advanced" tab just below the quick post box at the bottom of the thread. Below the advanced post box that comes up, there is a window with different feature tabs and you'll need to click the manage attachments tab. This will bring up a window with an upload box so you can attach files from your computer. The files size is limited so a person needs to make sure the file isn't too large due to high resolution. The files can be down sized easy enough though. You can attach as many as there are spaces for them.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
Ziggster

I have some pics I was going to post, but I cannot upload any pics either. This was after I deleted over a 1000 pics from my iPad.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
I have some pics I was going to post, but I cannot upload any pics either. This was after I deleted over a 1000 pics from my iPad.
You can email one of them to me and I will see what the issue is and post it for you. [email protected]
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
Ziggster

I've uploaded the same pics previously. Some pics (last page) in my thread on the HAMB...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...#post-13336635
Old 12-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

No idea then. Is this the one? Have you uploaded it on the Barn before? The HAMB and Barn have very different requirements on which files will upload.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpeg.jpg (75.1 KB, 134 views)
Old 12-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #9
Ziggster

Yes.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #10
Ziggster

I noticed that the file extension shows image.png, and previous pics that I posted were image.jpeg. Same iPad for all pics taken and uploaded.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Not sure where you are seeing the .png extension. The Barn posting limits are 585.9KB for .jpg files and 19.5KB for .png files. The file I posted from the HAMB to the Barn is a 204KB .jpg file. If the file you trying to upload is in .png format it is mostly over the size limit.

.jpeg and .jpg files extensions have the same size limits.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:27 AM   #12
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Too bad I didn't see this sooner, I have a 59 AB that has been rebuilt with very low miles on it that I need to sell. I have a Rt leg amputation and need to install an engine with auto trans in my 46 Super Deluxe Sedan Coupe. I can't find an adapter to mount an auto Trans behind my Engine. I can find them for an 8BA but not the 59 AB. My engine has maybe 4000 miles at the most on it.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin/TN View Post
Too bad I didn't see this sooner, I have a 59 AB that has been rebuilt with very low miles on it that I need to sell. I have a Rt leg amputation and need to install an engine with auto trans in my 46 Super Deluxe Sedan Coupe. I can't find an adapter to mount an auto Trans behind my Engine. I can find them for an 8BA but not the 59 AB. My engine has maybe 4000 miles at the most on it.
Take a look at the Flat-o-matic adapter: http://flat-o.com/carproducts/flatomatic.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flatomatic.jpg (16.2 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 12-18-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:38 AM   #14
Ol' Ron

I've used the Flat-o-matic adapter on several builds, and thet work great. However, there is a difference in converter splines you have to be aware of/
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #15
rotorwrench

I looked at the photos on the HAMB and I can see the casting marks on the front left that indicate it's Canadian ancestry. They are a lot like the US made 59A but are just a bit different. The keystone shaped lower coolant port in the mid section of the deck looks like the prewar design since the US 59s have the round lower port there. US prewar 19A & 29A blocks look like that but they have the intake deck that looks to be raised up but they just reduced the amount of iron in the casting so the flanks of the flange are actually lower than the machined deck area. That one is milled flat all the way across like the post war engines and the 38 through 40 engines. In 1946 the Windsor engine was changed to the 69A and had insert type con rods so Canada did it first. Trucks used the straight through relief in the cylinder desk to reduce compression a bit. This type block works well with crow foot chamber aluminum aftermarket heads. Just finish the relief a little better and it's good to go.

The Windsor Canadian engines are a mix of characteristics when compared to the Dearborn USA engines. They generally always have a "C" on them before the prefix to indicate the origin.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-19-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #16
Ziggster

So, after sorting out my pic posting issue. I've attached the two pic showing my C69 block. I circled the area in the valley I think you were referring to as well as the oil gallery boss on the rear of the block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 12-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #17
Ziggster

Next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 12-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #18
Ziggster

I also circled the identifying code cast into the block. Hard to make out but it says C69A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 12-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #19
dudley32

thanks...I'll check out the one we're working on...
Old 12-25-2019, 10:49 PM   #20
Brian

Ziggy, With respect,your pictured 'C69A' block does not resemble any C69A block that I'm familiar with, ...are you sure it doesn't say 'C59A'?
The Americans on this site by and large, will have little familiarity with Canadian blox, whereas I, being in New Zealand, know little about American cast blocks, as our stuff was sourced from Canada

With the cast number in front of #5 cylinder, your pictured block, looks to me, to be identical to a 59A series...
Every C69A block I have encountered differs from yours by;

The C69A number is cast into the block in front of Number 1 cylinder,also on the bellhousing, not in front of #5 as in your pix

The bottom central coolant hole is circular, not trapezoidal as in your picture,

The top row of coolant holes above valves are elongated, not circular as in your depiction,

Never seen a factory relieved C69A

Other differences too, but those are the ones most evident....

I only 'play' with two types of block....21 studders, and C69A's. C69A's for when I'm building big bore engines, on account of their incredibly thick cylinder walls. probably had more than two dozen pass through my hands over the years, all have had the features I describe above. Yours, if indeed a C69A, is a first for me.
Regards, Brian

Last edited by Brian; 12-25-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote