Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
davehc

Default Window Dosent Go Down Far Enough

I need help figuring out what is up with my front door windows . 30 Briggs Town Sedan , windows / glass are 16 inches tall , crank up and close fine , but lack at least an inch going all the way down . The stops look original , not like they have been changed , except for a small piece to level it out when its down , [ I think ] . The glass appears to be original , says Safety Sheet / AS@ / GJX / Laminated MSI . Any ideas ? Hope the pics help .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3967[1].jpg (41.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3968[1].jpg (99.5 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3969[1].jpg (69.2 KB, 128 views)
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Window Dosent Go Down Far Enough

That light-colored wood block on the stop bracket in photo #2 should not be there. That looks to be at least 1" tall, which is what you are lacking to roll the window down all the way. Take the wooden block out and see where the window stops. You could put a thin layer of rubber on top of the stop block to reduce rattling when the window is resting on the stop bracket.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
davehc

The light -colored block , I think is in there to level up the window when down . I took out the stop block , but it still wont go down any further because it hits the right side stop . I would have to cut the bottom off the right metal guide bracket to get it lower , and I don't want to do that , " yet " . It look's like I may have to trim the glass , but not ready to do that yet either .
Old 10-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

Hmmm. I don't have the spec's handy at the computer, but are the windows supposed to be 16" tall? Briggs and Murray doors are not interchangeable. I wonder if they have different window heights? The doors themselves are definitely different, including width, not just the top window arch/lack of arch. Perhaps the windows had been purchased that fit a Murray, but not a Briggs?
I have windows in the basement from my 1929 Murray Town Sedan. The doors are the same between 1929 and early 1931 on the three-window sedans, if I recall correctly. If you'll hang on for a minute, I'll go down and measure their height. They're out of the doors, so it will be a quick job. If they are the same height as yours, scratch that off the list.
I'll also see if I can find my glass book for Model A's to see if there is a difference. All is not lost anyway. Yes, you can have your windows trimmed to match your doors. That's a heck of a lot better (and cheaper!) than buying new windows!
'Back in a few minutes...
Marshall
Old 10-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
J Franklin

Original door glass was plain plate glass so yours is a replacement. When you roll up the window all the way where does the channel come to. your glass may be too tall
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

Well, rats! That's not going to help you much. My front door windows measured a little over 16" height on the edges and then gains height as it moves to the center. This is distinctive of Murray doors with their top arch. Briggs would be straight across or with a very, very slight arch ('Dunno about that, though) I was hoping my windows would measure either shorter or taller so that your measured 16" would seem right. No luck there.
I found my Model A parts booklet and in the back, the various glass sizes are specified per body style number. Oddly, the Murray (155-C) window height is given as 16 1/4", but no similar measurement is given for the 155-D (Briggs) window. Obviously, if for no the reason than the severe arch in the Murray window, the two windows would have different part numbers.
It looks as though someone with a Briggs 155-D will have to give you exact measurements taken form his windows. 'Sorry...
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 10-22-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #7
davehc

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Original door glass was plain plate glass so yours is a replacement. When you roll up the window all the way where does the channel come to. your glass may be too tall
The channel does stop about an inch from the bottom opening of the window opening , leading me to think also they may be replacements . But I had thought they might be original because they still had a lot of years of grime / over spray from last paint job / ect. on them . I'm thinking I am going to have to remove them and trim , if I want to correct it . I guess it just bug's me , as to why anyone would leave it this way if they are replacements . Oh well .
Old 10-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
J Franklin

That may have been replaced from a junk yard, during the depression, on the way to the California fruit orchards.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote