Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
larry harding

Default tranny top----need help

i just went through my tranny, new bearings, one new gear and some good used ones. everything is back together except the top. i have the gears in the neutral position and the shift forks also in the neut. position. i line up the forks and the grooves in the gears, but the forks don't want to go down in the grooves. i'm sure there is nothing wrong with the forks or gears, but it seems that i'm not lining something up right. any suggestions????
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
160B

Default Re: tranny top----need help

Can you post a photo of the gears in the neutral position, and a photo of the forks in the neutral position?

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
100IH

By gosh, if the input is not connected to the tail shaft, its in neutral.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
Tom Endy

If ether one of the shifting forks are bent slightly they won't engage the slots. I have seen this problem before during club seminars where we rebuilt about 20 towers each time. The forks can become bent due to aggressive shifting and remain serviceable until the tower is removed and then they spring out of position.

I made a simple tool to check alignment before we have a bunch of forks welded up and milled for a seminar.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:43 AM   #5
larry harding

the shift lever is sitting between both fork notches and the fork rods are in the neutral detent. as stated above, input ain't connected to the output....neutral.i am lining up the forks with the gear groves, they just don't want to drop in.
one post mentioned bent forks, that is a possibility. what is the method, or home made tool for checking them?
Old 08-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
larry harding

problem solved! i took a closer look and found the 2nd/high fork went in but not the 1st /rev. on closer exam i found the sliding gear was sloppy on the shaft. i had several good used gears a friend had donated and used the best looking one. i had another gear with some surface rust that cleaned up easily in the bead blaster. i put that one in and everything went together smoothly. maybe that gear was out of a diffrent tranny, but it looked good except for not fitting the shaft well and not accepting the fork.