Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Fred K-OR

Default Zenith carb question-secondary well

I have search this site and did not find a good answer for this problem I am having with the secondary well. I did find where people told how to get jet out. I have tried most of them and the thing still will not come out.

But I have taken out of the other jets, cleaned out all the crud and the secondary well, even though I can't get it out, seems to be working OK. Can blow in it, can run WD 40 through it, etc. So the question I have: can I just leave it, replace all other jets and misc. parts and have a good carb? Can someone with more experience than me give me an idea if it is worth the gamble?

Thanks for the thoughts.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
jmeckel

Default Re: Zenith carb question-secondary well

If there is no other option, then go ahead and try it. Did you heat the casting around the well to just short of bright red hot, and then dunk it in water? This has worked every time, so far for me.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
I have search this site and did not find a good answer for this problem I am having with the secondary well. I did find where people told how to get jet out. I have tried most of them and the thing still will not come out.

But I have taken out of the other jets, cleaned out all the crud and the secondary well, even though I can't get it out, seems to be working OK. Can blow in it, can run WD 40 through it, etc. So the question I have: can I just leave it, replace all other jets and misc. parts and have a good carb? Can someone with more experience than me give me an idea if it is worth the gamble?

Thanks for the thoughts.
Good penetrating oil, heat and a good fitting screwdriver. If your leaving it, soak the carb in lacquer thinner over night,blast with air there are small holes on the side of it. Just did one. Lots of HOT Heat.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Fred K-OR

I did heat it with the oxygen-acetylene torch to almost red. Put in water after and still could not get it to unscrew. The venturi came out great with the torch but not this fitting. It looks like the threads above the fitting are a bit rusty. I also shot some penetrating oil in the thing a couple of times and let it set overnight. Still did not come loose. I could drill it but I think I may just try it the way it is. It seems to be open when I shoot air and WD 40 into the holes. If it is not OK I can still try to drill it later. This is only one of my "extra" carbs but I would like to get it working the way it should for a spare.

Thanks for the ideas. I will have to order some new parts for it and after I get them and have it back together, I will give you all an idea how it works.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

I agree, If its not red , heating does nothing. You've really got nothing to lose. You should watch Fred Carlton take one apart on the carburetors and carbohydrates video, it'll make a Zenith expert out of you. I haven't hesitated to heat and quench since watching it and they never fail to come apart easily. Sometimes it helps to slightly tighten a stuck object and if it tightens the slightest bit it will usually then back out. good luck .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
tudoor

I threw one in my wood stove that was stuck and full of rust so nothing to loose. It worked, was able to screw out the well and all the jets. Although it ruined the float, solder melted, and the venture melted as its white metal.
tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

Thanks guys. The problem of getting it red-red right now is that I think my tank of acetylene is about empty. So will have to get it refilled and try again. Will let you know.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
jmeckel

On this heating subject, heat the CASTING AROUND the well, do not direct the heat directly onto the brass parts as brass melts at a lot lower heat, I heat the cast to red hot, but not bright or white red hot. Brass melts at about 1700 degrees, white hot cast is about 2500 degrees, and acetylene/oxygen flame burns at about 6,330 °F.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Fred K-OR

Wow, you guys sure know your stuff! I finally had my acetylene tank refilled, used the torch on the old carb to a heat up to a red glow, dumped it in a bucket of cold water and then tried the screw driver on the well. Out it came! Almost did not need a screw driver, could have taken it out with my fingers (if they were a bit smaller).

Thanks again guys for the advise.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Joe K

Quote:
Almost did not need a screw driver, could have taken it out with my fingers (if they were a bit smaller).
I like the idea of throwing it in the woodstove.

I once salvaged a Galloway one lunger engine from an outbuilding that had burned. The owner had disassembled the engine - the majority parts including the crank, flywheel, and cylinder/water jacket were outside when the fire began.

But the piston and connecting rod were inside. When I happened upon it, the building was black ashes on the ground with the weeds growing up. It had been a couple of years since the fire.

I rescued all the parts I could find including the piston/connecting rod. No babbit (think fire) and no rings (this apparently what he was changing when the fire occured.)

Try as I might to fit that piston into the cylinder - it would not go. Somehow it had expanded to the tune of 0.015 inches in the fire - and this on a casting that was about 5 inches in diameter.

It took me the better part of an afternoon with a hand grinder to bring it all down to the correct size (or perhaps a little smaller) using a hand grinder; I didn't have a lathe at that point. A belt sander was instrumental to keeping it reasonably cylindrical.

But I was blown away by how LARGE it had gotten.

Joe K