Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Oil pump gasket

I have a question concerning oil pump gaskets. In rebuilding kits, there is a gasket for where the metal cover fits over the housing. There is not a gasket in the kits I have purchased that goes between the bottom plate and the housing. I have seen them in the parts catalogs, but of the 2 or 3 pumps I have taken apart, they didn't have a gasket there. I can't see why there would need to be a gasket on the bottom as that area of the pump is submerged in oil (no leaking would be important). Can anyone shed some light on this? I am just curious about it.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Mikeinnj

Default Re: Oil pump gasket

Here is a web page that has a lot of good info on rebuilding a stock oil pump with a second page that tells how to turn a stock pump into a high performance pump. Your question regarding the cover gasket is answered in the article.

http://billsbangers.com/overhauling_..._oil_pump.html
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
George Miller

Default Re: Oil pump gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I have a question concerning oil pump gaskets. In rebuilding kits, there is a gasket for where the metal cover fits over the housing. There is not a gasket in the kits I have purchased that goes between the bottom plate and the housing. I have seen them in the parts catalogs, but of the 2 or 3 pumps I have taken apart, they didn't have a gasket there. I can't see why there would need to be a gasket on the bottom as that area of the pump is submerged in oil (no leaking would be important). Can anyone shed some light on this? I am just curious about it.
Rusty Nelson
You only use the gasket on the lower plate, if the gears rub hard on the plate. If used when not needed it will reduce the pumps performance. But make sure you use the gasket that goes between the pump and screen cover.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote