Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #121
TDO

Default Re: Model A CRASH??

Even though the cars of the 50's and early 60's were not as safe , far as safety features, there also wasn't as much traffic either. At least here in the coal mining towns of West Virginia. you only seen one car per family.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #122
rwiegand

Here's a chart showing vehicle deaths per million miles traveled:

It seems that cars (and roads and drivers?) have gotten progressively safer with time. If you look at deaths/100.000 population it also appears that the '30s were a very dangerous time.
rwiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #123
Stew Masche

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post

is this the one you meant, Tom?
I believe the officers name was Barney Rubble.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #124
Stew Masche

These all look like they belong in a Laurel and Hardy film.

Well ! Here's another fine mess I've gotten myself into.

I hope I can die in my sleep just like my Grandfather......
and not hollerin' and screamin' like all the other people who were riding in his car with him.

Happy Trails !
Old 02-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #125
NCDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
the common thread to many of these modern wrecks, or perhaps older wrecks, whether they involve a Model "A" or not, is aggressive driving. In today's world I personally ascribe a lot of that to SUV's/pickup trucks although that is putting a bulls-eye around myself on this forum.
I know that a lot of people resent those of us who drive trucks and SUV types, but I don't think we drive any more aggressively than the Camry, foreign sports car and Prius-types. The simple fact is that trucks and SUVs have a lot of utility these days, compared to small cars, and that makes them popular. There are just a lot more trucks on the road, and it follows that a larger percentage will be involved in wrecks. I feel a lot safer in my Suburban than I have felt in the smaller cars I drove for my employer in years past, but I don't drive aggressively in any vehicle.
NCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #126
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
I know that a lot of people resent those of us who drive trucks and SUV types, but I don't think we drive any more aggressively than the Camry, foreign sports car and Prius-types. The simple fact is that trucks and SUVs have a lot of utility these days, compared to small cars, and that makes them popular. There are just a lot more trucks on the road, and it follows that a larger percentage will be involved in wrecks. I feel a lot safer in my Suburban than I have felt in the smaller cars I drove for my employer in years past, but I don't drive aggressively in any vehicle.
I know that stereotypes in general are often inaccurate and unfair. If Southern drivers are as courtly in driving as they usually are in person, I'm sure the SUV perception there differs from my perception.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:37 AM   #127
markwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBohannon View Post
I believe the most dangerous time for American automobiles would be the late 50's and early 60's. These cars had a lot of power and speed and the last thing on the mfr's mind was safety. It is hard to believe now but we did not even have seat belts. The dashes and instruments in these cars could be extremly dangerous to passengers. Anybody agree or disagree.

I tend to agree with JBohannon, some of us from the "over fifty" clan will remember seeing an auto safety film (yes they were films back then) called Signal 30. This film clearly supports what JBohannon stated. You can can view the film in its entirety on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mGPz2a5P_E
markwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:56 AM   #128
Charlville

Being a regular visitor to the USA from the UK, the things that scare me the most is the speed that people drive at and the tailgating...
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:10 AM   #129
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlville View Post
Being a regular visitor to the USA from the UK, the things that scare me the most is the speed that people drive at and the tailgating...
Yep, that's two of the worst things people do here, and that's why you see multi car crashes when there is snow or fog. The idiots don't even slow down for ice on the road, and don't leave distance between cars.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #130
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Yep, that's two of the worst things people do here, and that's why you see multi car crashes when there is snow or fog. The idiots don't even slow down for ice on the road, and don't leave distance between cars.
Or those 4WD/AWD folks who think their vehicles can stop on a dime... I've owned 4 different 4WD vehicles and they don't stop any differently.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #131
Synchro909

Recently, on an about 20 mile trip home, I was nearly wiped out 5 times by drivers who seemed to think it was OK to do stupid things in front of the old car. They all wanted to be in front of it. I asked one of them why he pulled in front of me - was it because he thought I was going to be slow? Well, I'm here waiting at the same set of lights that you are, only you get to wait longer. Besides, why would anyone think it smart to pull in front of a car with brakes that are obviously not going to be as good as yours? Didn't think that through too well, did you, sport!
Seems plenty of modern drivers think these cars shouldn't be on the road so it's OK to break the law. I've decided to put a dash cam in my A. Won't save my life but would help with an insurance clam.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:44 AM   #132
mot

how about this one?
tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4975.jpg (89.8 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4976.jpg (87.4 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4977.jpg (91.5 KB, 274 views)
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #133
grumpyoldsman

5 years ago i rolled my 30 town sedan over going about 25 miles per hour going around a corner, about $400 later the car was repaired $1000000. Later my wife was fixed. The one im building now will have seat belts
grumpyoldsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #134
rwiegand

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwill View Post
I tend to agree with JBohannon, some of us from the "over fifty" clan will remember seeing an auto safety film (yes they were films back then) called Signal 30. This film clearly supports what JBohannon stated. You can can view the film in its entirety on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mGPz2a5P_E
According to the CDC data quoted above, deaths per million miles traveled were much higher in the 20s and 30s than in the 50's, and are much lower than that today. Driving has become consistently safer over the last 100 years. The data do not support the idea that driving in the 50s was more dangerous than earlier, quite the opposite in fact.
rwiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #135
deetz

Regarding the '28 Phaeton (#3 above), I witnessed this accident about 5 or 6 years ago. The accident took place on a two-lane, paved, county road. We were following the phaeton at about 35 or 40 mph. A pickup truck travelling in the opposite direction turned left in front of the phaeton. The phaeton's driver applied the brakes (rear wheels locked up) reducing the speed a bit. All four passengers in the phaeton were wearing lap belts and received various injuries, the folks in the front seat required hospitalization. The phaeton's engine broke loose from the mounts and slid rearward and downward with the transmission, but did NOT enter the passenger compartment. The passengers all eventually recovered from their injuries and the phaeton was rebuilt and is still on the road. If your Model A does not have seat belts, I would certainly install them and wear them!
deetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #136
WTSHNN

-Tim
Old 11-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #137
burner31

Tracked this location down to Sixth and Figueroa in Los Angeles
Sure don't look anything like that today.
Google maps would not let me save a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asdf2_zpsygymrvov.jpg (20.2 KB, 33 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #138
burner31

Type in "524 North 61st Street, Philadelphia, PA" into google maps and it shows what the buildings behind the truck look like today...and yes they are still standing.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #139
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Pickuppain View Post
Im wondering how model A hold up in a crash of different speeds dose any one have any pics of model As after crashes im just curious.
Most all pictures of wrecked A's I've seen are pretty well protected in the windshield and cowl area. Seems that most of the crash force is taken away by the fenders and hood area. Have always notice the cab area is pretty well protected. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #140
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Tracked this location down to Sixth and Figueroa in Los Angeles
Sure don't look anything like that today.
Google maps would not let me save a pic.
During WW 2 when tires were scarce, folks would carry a bare, rough old wheel for a spare & run it on the rim, if they had a flat. It also prevented theft of the spare tire
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 11-13-2015 at 01:50 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote