Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
Marty_in_Mesa

Default Headlight wiring

I have a 29 Tudor. I installed a new wiring harness. I got new sockets for the headlight buckets. 2 lamp. What pigtail goes between the 3 pin socket in the head light bucket and the 3 bullet connectors on the wiring harness? The wiring harness itself doesn't seem long enough to make it into the buckets.

Also, does the main wiring harness for the passenger headlight go under the radiator? I don't see where else it could go, and if under the radiator, how is it secured in place?

Thanks in advance.
Marty

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Marty_in_Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #2
marty in Ohio

Default Re: Headlight wiring

Hey, Marty in Mesa, I just had to reply to your post. The wire from the driver's headlight to the passenger's headlight is held in place by small clips at the bottom of the radiator.
Welcome to Ford Barn.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
Marty_in_Mesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
Hey, Marty in Mesa, I just had to reply to your post. The wire from the driver's headlight to the passenger's headlight is held in place by small clips at the bottom of the radiator.

Welcome to Ford Barn.

Marty
Thanks for the response. So it's clipped to the radiator bottom itself?

Old 01-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Bob C

Here is a picture of the right headlight wire crossing the radiator, you can
see the tabs holding the wire to the lower tank.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiator-wire.jpg (29.9 KB, 159 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_in_Mesa View Post
I have a 29 Tudor. I installed a new wiring harness. I got new sockets for the headlight buckets. 2 lamp. What pigtail goes between the 3 pin socket in the head light bucket and the 3 bullet connectors on the wiring harness? The wiring harness itself doesn't seem long enough to make it into the buckets.

Also, does the main wiring harness for the passenger headlight go under the radiator? I don't see where else it could go, and if under the radiator, how is it secured in place?
If your harness has standard bullet connectors at the headlamps, they should be replaced with these - https://www.brattons.com/catalog/hea...inal-ends.html.

You can also grind down the bullets just past the wide part and solder the ends, as I did. Bratton's was out of stock my last order.

The harness should be long enough to slip the ends through the plug, you just need to push the conduits farther through the radiator shell.

Many radiators lack the clips brazed to the lower tank. To remedy this I stretched the harness tight across and secured it with 2 cable ties at the radiator mounts. It clears the fan OK but I check it regularly. I may attach some metal strips to the bottom tank with JB Weld someday if it causes a problem.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Marty_in_Mesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Here is a picture of the right headlight wire crossing the radiator, you can
see the tabs holding the wire to the lower tank.

Bob
Thank you Bob!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #7
Marty_in_Mesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
If your harness has standard bullet connectors at the headlamps, they should be replaced with these - https://www.brattons.com/catalog/hea...inal-ends.html.

You can also grind down the bullets just past the wide part and solder the ends, as I did. Bratton's was out of stock my last order.

The harness should be long enough to slip the ends through the plug, you just need to push the conduits farther through the radiator shell.

Many radiators lack the clips brazed to the lower tank. To remedy this I stretched the harness tight across and secured it with 2 cable ties at the radiator mounts. It clears the fan OK but I check it regularly. I may attach some metal strips to the bottom tank with JB Weld someday if it causes a problem.
Thanks. I still don't understand how they harness connects with the 3 pin socket in the headlight bucket

Old 01-27-2019, 12:50 AM   #8
Ed Wendell

Marty, Check out Bratton's catalog, they have a diagram of the plug setup for the bottom of the headlight bucket.
If you do not have a Bratton's catalog, call and order one, they are handy to have.
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #9
Marty_in_Mesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wendell View Post
Marty, Check out Bratton's catalog, they have a diagram of the plug setup for the bottom of the headlight bucket.
If you do not have a Bratton's catalog, call and order one, they are handy to have.
Ed
Will check it out. Thanks Ed
Marty

Old 01-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #10
Badpuppy

Quote:
Thanks. I still don't understand how they harness connects with the 3 pin socket in the headlight bucket
Push the conduit into the radiator shell to expose a couple inches of wire ends. insert the wires into the plug slots per the lettering on their front which corresponds to the appropriate wire color (R/G/Y).

https://www.brattons.com/28-31-headlight-wire-plug.html

Insert the plug into the socket with the key between R and G aligned between the two dimples on the socket. Pull the conduit out and over the wires and connect to the socket, twist to lock. The connection is made by the spring pressure of the socket contacts against the wire ends.

Most repop conduits have crappy ferrules which don't reach far enough into the socket to engage the lock. Check your fit before placing your order, Bratton's sells the ferrules:

https://www.brattons.com/headlight-c...rule-only.html

After being disgusted with two of the cheap conduits, I finally ordered the expensive ones from Bratton's (~$38) which fit like originals.

Btw, since you have 2-bulb headlights, I'm assuming your '29 is the Twolite variety. The earlier H-type is a whole different animal.

Last edited by Badpuppy; 01-27-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #11
sofield

If you don't have the tabs on the lower part of the radiator use black cable ties going through the core and fasten on the front side of the radiator.
Sofield
sofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:12 PM   #12
Marty_in_Mesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofield View Post
If you don't have the tabs on the lower part of the radiator use black cable ties going through the core and fasten on the front side of the radiator.
Sofield
Great idea Sofield!
Thank you!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:14 PM   #13
Marty_in_Mesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Push the conduit into the radiator shell to expose a couple inches of wire ends. insert the wires into the plug slots per the lettering on their front which corresponds to the appropriate wire color (R/G/Y).

https://www.brattons.com/28-31-headlight-wire-plug.html

Insert the plug into the socket with the key between R and G aligned between the two dimples on the socket. Pull the conduit out and over the wires and connect to the socket, twist to lock. The connection is made by the spring pressure of the socket contacts against the wire ends.

Most repop conduits have crappy ferrules which don't reach far enough into the socket to engage the lock. Check your fit before placing your order, Bratton's sells the ferrules:

https://www.brattons.com/headlight-c...rule-only.html

After being disgusted with two of the cheap conduits, I finally ordered the expensive ones from Bratton's (~$38) which fit like originals.

Btw, since you have 2-bulb headlights, I'm assuming your '29 is the Twolite variety. The earlier H-type is a whole different animal.
So to be clear, the wiring harness itself is supposed to reach up, through the conduit, and into the head light bucket then the plastic piece holds the wires against the socket with the 3 pins? Does the black plastic piece lock into the socket?

This is the best piece of information yet. Thank you Badpuppy!
Marty
Old 01-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #14
Badpuppy

Quote:
So to be clear, the wiring harness itself is supposed to reach up, through the conduit, and into the head light bucket then the plastic piece holds the wires against the socket with the 3 pins? Does the black plastic piece lock into the socket?

This is the best piece of information yet. Thank you Badpuppy!
Marty
The plug and wires are held inside the socket by the twist-to-lock ferrule at the conduit end. The contact springs exert a fair pressure, so proper ferrules are essential.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #15
Marty_in_Mesa

I added some pictures to my album
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9dgiEq4TPAzhtGBj9

Old 01-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #16
Badpuppy

You don't need that Otwell heater in Mesa. Them's for Minnesot'ns.