Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
luckyal

Question Regular steel or Stainless steel muffler

Other than appearance and longevity is there any advantage or disadvantage to paying the extra $ 75 dollars for a polished stainless steel muffler system ? They say both are 100% original design.
Thanks
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Ross/Kzoo

Default Re: Regular steel or Stainless steel muffler

Do you want your muffler to last a short time or longer?
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Rock Hornbuckle

You should not have to replace the stainless muffler in your lifetime. Assuming you aren't an infant, or a toddler.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
sidhartha

Nope, it looks good and don't rust as quick. It sounds and wears just the same as a regular one.
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
JBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
Do you want your muffler to last a short time or longer?
I don't think the plain steel Aries mufflers last "just a short time." I've had one on my roadster for ten years and it still seems sound to me, though it's not shiny.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
I don't think the plain steel Aries mufflers last "just a short time." I've had one on my roadster for ten years and it still seems sound to me, though it's not shiny.
It depends on you drying the muffler out when you run it. A lot of short runs rots them out in a hurry. It also depends if you ar ein the high desert or humid areas like Michigan.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Arlen

Do you want it to look like you have a chrome exhaust?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
ctlikon0712

The problem is probably fixed by now, but Aries had a issue with a welded flange on their SS muffler that would crack with use.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
MikeK

Neither is 100% original design. Shape and overall dimensions are correct, but neither is assembled using the same butt weld process. Engine performance is as original, but even the plain steel version won't pass judging without a deduction. The SS version uses an alloy that is not used for modern OEM SS mufflers. Instead, an alloy that polishes well is used. As a result the welds have a stress zone adjacent to the weld beads and will break if stressed at all. The manufacturer states the rear muffler clamp must be slip fit, but that didn't stop mine from breaking! Ford never used loose, slip fit clamps.

Here's a
LINK to Vince's website with more details.

I returned two SS jobs, both broken at the front bell to pipe weld. One was mine, the other belonged to my recently deceased friend, Zenith carb guru Howard Taylor. I got them back crudely TIG welded, one crooked, both dented. (could have done that myself!) There was no charge for this service, other than the $$$$ I paid to ship them both ways.

If you think like a crow and like shiny bling, get the SS. If you think the SS price difference is warranted for corrosion protection, consider the disadvantage in the durability of the SS version. Had they used the 400 grade SS that OEM's use, there would not be a weld integrity problem, but they would not take polishing. Shiny sells.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
59mgaguy

I've had the same regular muffler on since 1970 and it's still going strong. As for SS How many do you think Ford put on at the factory? I personally wouldn't put SS on my A because I believe the A should be restored as off the show room. But for those of you that have SS exhaust on your car would you try putting a magnet to it? What happens?

Just my 2 cents
59mgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I have an argenitine muffler from the early 80's still working fine. I would save the money for other things.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59mgaguy View Post
I've had the same regular muffler on since 1970 and it's still going strong. As for SS How many do you think Ford put on at the factory? I personally wouldn't put SS on my A because I believe the A should be restored as off the show room. But for those of you that have SS exhaust on your car would you try putting a magnet to it? What happens?

Just my 2 cents
I couldn't agree more

I'm always flying over Morgantown, WV looking for bling
dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Al,

Humble opinion:

If a Model A is continuously stored in an enclosed garage on a well drained concrete slab, even in a high humidity coastal area, one could expect to get approximately 25-30 years out of a plain steel muffler -- far less, maybe 5-10 years if stored out-of doors in a high humidity area, & stored on the ground with a high water table.

In an arid region where water cooled "swamp" coolers are used for cooling buildings in lieu of hermeticaly sealed air conditioners, steel mufflers should last at least until the next Model A wreck.

A lot may also depend on what one wants for one's future generations.

Hope this helps.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
Greg out west

Lightbulb Re: Regular steel or Stainless steel muffler

Hi guy's,,

I use a S/S muffler as I don't like rust in my eye's from working on the car..

Greg out West
Greg out west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Ditto what Greg said.
When my repro ignition switch was giving problems I had dozens of very loud backfires, and they never hurt the muffler. I've never cleaned or polished the muffler and it doesn't really shine or stand out.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
green30coupe

If you don't like shiny....paint it.
YOUR NOSE WILL ITCH AND YOU'LL HAVE TO PEE

green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
P.S.

One of the local "gurus" told me that the steel mufflers are quieter than the stainless ones from Aries. Since I was after quiet, I chose the black steel version. It really is super quiet. The stainless requires the clamp with the cloth inside it to allow for the extra expansion of the stainless material. If you don't use the special clamp, it fractures at the weld joint behind the tapered chamber.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #18
Allanw

OEM mufflers for moderns, made of exhaust grade SS do actually rust a tiny bit - a polish stainless exhaust isn't really the right grade for longevity, as mentioned by though above talking about the fractures.

If you want super long life, go for the "rough" looking exhaust grade stainless. My Father 1990 BMW has a OEM stainless exhaust system, it's the original from the factroy, and has lasted 23 years, but does show signs of surface rust. never any cracks, fractures or repairs made to it as it is the correct grade. I can see it lasting longer than my father!

Polished stainless is a bit bling-bling for an A ;-)
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Keith True

I have a couple of stainless Aries mufflers for the A's.The only reason I went stainless was because I live near LeBaron Bonny and when I go in for parts I always look at their discounted parts,dented,returns,damaged,etc.I happened to be there twice when dented stainless mufflers were put out on the floor.I got them for the price of new steel ones.I would like to get rid of the shine though.I thought time would tone it down,but five and six years are not making much difference.I have a muffler called the Beaver,(I think anyway) that performs well.I have some Argentine mufflers from the early 70's that have held up well,but you don't realize the difference until you pop one off and put the Aries on.I've never had the cracking problems others have talked about,but I've seen it on other peoples cars.Probably because I fit the system so that I can install the clamps with my fingers.Nothing is forced into place by the clamps on either end.I bend the pipes to fit beforehand.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #20
H. L. Chauvin

Within (3) years my SS Aries Model A muffler has a dull patina in humid weather & no longer shines.

All metal can oxidize to different degrees depending on humidity & the climatic conditions -- something some may want to consider.

In restrooms with ceramic tile walls, contractors incorrectly use muriatic acid to clean the grout off of the ceramic tile.

The acid splashes on the SS handicapped grab bars, then the grab bars begin to rust thus staining one's clothing if they contact these bars.

To clean same & remove this light rust coating one uses WD-40 & four (4) 0000 steel wool.

With Model A mufflers, do what you think will make you happy -- life is short!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote