Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
Rand
Senior Member
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 348
Default 50 Mercury OD problem

Hi fellas
A good number of years ago my trans developed a chipped 2nd. gear.
So I took it to a old school mechanic here in Atlanta. He took it apart just to tell me "yep" it has a chipped 2nd gear. It sat in pieces in his garage for many many months while he looked for a gear. I got fed up with him and brought it home in a crate in pieces. I can make somebody a deal on it if anyone is interested?
Anyways...I got another trans and put it in. last weekend I finally got around to wiring up the OD. To just to see how the OD works I wired it up with a fused switch with heavy wire from the power on the starter solenoid to the OD solenoid. When in the driveway I flip the switch and can hear the solenoid kick in and out. So I went for a drive to give it a try? I can hear it click in and out and kinda buck and a clunk but wont engage the OD? I'm afraid that I might do damage so I quit.
Freewheel handle/cable works fine. Could the solenoid be put in wrong? I'm sure hoping that its not something internal? Thoughts?
Thanks Randy
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:55 AM   #2
rotorwrench
Senior Member
 
rotorwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 11,550
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

Running without safety features can be hazardous. You would have to flip the switch a lot. You really need the governor in the circuit to insure no shifting below 23 MPH. What are you doing with the other terminal on the solenoid? It's not that hard to get them wired up as OEM and you will have all the automatic features. It's hard to diagnose one that may not be properly connected. The solenoid normally loads against the gear ring when activated. It doesn't shift in till you let off the throttle. After it engages the solenoid goes into a holding phase so that is doesn't use so much amperage but both coils have to work in there as well as the internal switches.

If you need hard parts just call VanPelt Sales. Mac will fix you up with what you need. That 2nd gear was same as the one in the earlier post war transmissions. The gears didn't change to the new diamond types till Feb 1951 on the Mercury cars.

The cable pull is for lock out when you don't want OD such as pulling up & down steep grades and trailering. The freewheeling action is only when the unit it locked in for OD.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #3
JHFORD51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 219
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

If you have the solenoid rod correctly engaged into the pawl (as in you put the solenoid on and gave it aquarter turn) and you are hearing it "click" then I might suspect you have internal problems. The solenoid is supposed to push the pawl in towards the balk ring and when the ring spins around the pawl locks in thereby engaging the OD. There's more to it but if the trans is otherwise not noisy, I would suspect the balk ring...
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
transbytip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ottumwa Ia.
Posts: 105
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

Rand, one wire hooked up will only kick it in you need the other terminal on o.d. to keep it engauged.Sent you a P.M.Cliff.
transbytip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
40cpe
Senior Member
 
40cpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Star, MS
Posts: 3,548
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by transbytip View Post
Rand, one wire hooked up will only kick it in you need the other terminal on o.d. to keep it engauged.Sent you a P.M.Cliff.
I respectfully disagree, to keep from spreading incorrect information. The other wire from the solenoid goes to an isolated terminal on the kickdown switch. It is only connected to the coil wire when the kickdown is actuated.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #6
JHFORD51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 219
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

40cpe is correct. A fused hot wire to a toggle switch to the solenoid can is all that is necessary to operate the O.D. all of the other factory stuff is nice and not that difficult to do but one switched hot wire will get her going.
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #7
Mike51Merc
Senior Member
 
Mike51Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

40cpe is correct. The second wire on the solenoid is the engine-killer wire. It goes to the kickdown switch and then to the distributor side of the ignition coil.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
G.M.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida and Penna.
Posts: 4,341
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
Hi fellas
A good number of years ago my trans developed a chipped 2nd. gear.
So I took it to a old school mechanic here in Atlanta. He took it apart just to tell me "yep" it has a chipped 2nd gear. It sat in pieces in his garage for many many months while he looked for a gear. I got fed up with him and brought it home in a crate in pieces. I can make somebody a deal on it if anyone is interested?
Anyways...I got another trans and put it in. last weekend I finally got around to wiring up the OD. To just to see how the OD works I wired it up with a fused switch with heavy wire from the power on the starter solenoid to the OD solenoid. When in the driveway I flip the switch and can hear the solenoid kick in and out. So I went for a drive to give it a try? I can hear it click in and out and kinda buck and a clunk but wont engage the OD? I'm afraid that I might do damage so I quit.
Freewheel handle/cable works fine. Could the solenoid be put in wrong? I'm sure hoping that its not something internal? Thoughts?
Thanks Randy
What voltage are you running? G.M.
__________________
www.fordcollector.com
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #9
Rand
Senior Member
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 348
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

I have one 6 volt solenoid fused wire to hot side of the starter solenoid, the other terminal of the solenoid to a ground. Messing with it today I broke the OD cable where it mounts to the lever. so maybe the lever wasn't fully moving as it should? Also I grounded the toggle switch today.
I'm on the hunt for another pull/push OD cable. (anybody have one?)
When I find one I'll report back. Also..When I get it going I will also wire it all up as Henry intended Thank you everybody!
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:44 PM   #10
50fordcoupeman
Senior Member
 
50fordcoupeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LaGrande Oregon
Posts: 626
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
I have one 6 volt solenoid fused wire to hot side of the starter solenoid, the other terminal of the solenoid to a ground. Messing with it today I broke the OD cable where it mounts to the lever. so maybe the lever wasn't fully moving as it should? Also I grounded the toggle switch today.
I'm on the hunt for another pull/push OD cable. (anybody have one?)
When I find one I'll report back. Also..When I get it going I will also wire it all up as Henry intended Thank you everybody!
Shoe Box Central has them for Fords. Would that work??
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:48 PM   #11
expavr
Senior Member
 
expavr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hansville, WA
Posts: 706
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
I have one 6 volt solenoid fused wire to hot side of the starter solenoid, the other terminal of the solenoid to a ground. Messing with it today I broke the OD cable where it mounts to the lever. so maybe the lever wasn't fully moving as it should? Also I grounded the toggle switch today.
I'm on the hunt for another pull/push OD cable. (anybody have one?)
When I find one I'll report back. Also..When I get it going I will also wire it all up as Henry intended Thank you everybody!
C&G Ford Parts has a O/D Cable that you can cut to fit. https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/ford...r=A9AZ-7A650-A
When I put the 49 Merc O/D transmission in the tonner I used this cable.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:55 PM   #12
Rand
Senior Member
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 348
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

Thanks guys... Shoe box central. Macs. C&G cables will probably work.? Put the T handle is way to small.
I'm on the hunt for a good used OEM unit. If no luck ill probably have to go with the after market one. But that small T handle with the word
"overdrive" on it would drive me crazy!
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:26 PM   #13
philipswanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bonita, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

The kick down system actually kills the engine ignition momentarily while the overdrive shifts. That's where the wire to the coil comes in. There is more to it than just a wire to the solenoid. The shop manual shows the whole schematic at least for the Ford unit.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:23 AM   #14
expavr
Senior Member
 
expavr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hansville, WA
Posts: 706
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
Thanks guys... Shoe box central. Macs. C&G cables will probably work.? Put the T handle is way to small.
I'm on the hunt for a good used OEM unit. If no luck ill probably have to go with the after market one. But that small T handle with the word
"overdrive" on it would drive me crazy!
If the look of the OEM handle is important have you given any thought to fabricating a new O/D cable using your OEM pull handle and mounting a universal push/pull cable to your handle?
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #15
Rand
Senior Member
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 348
Default Re: 50 Mercury OD problem

philipswanson...Yes your right! I am only wanting to hook it up momentary to check out the OD part of the Trans. Once I know everything is good? I plan to hook everything as Henry intended.

expavr... Yes I want to keep the OEM big T handle. Today I stopped by a Lawn mover shop and found the stiff wire I need. Pulling the old wire out on the handle was a booger.
I hope to re drill the end of the T handle and crimp the new wire in the handle
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.