Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #1
donthekawguy

Default Gear oil

Where is everyone getting their gear oil? All the local stores give me a confused look when I ask about it. lol I could only find it for 14 a quart on Amazon and that seems steep.
donthekawguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:18 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Gear oil

Most all the suppliers sell it.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
Aok

I get mine from brattons but all the vendors sell it. I think it's 140 weight modern, someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:34 AM   #4
M2M

Thumbs up Re: Gear oil

The suppliers "600W" is fake, at best it's low quality 140W. Nice scam they have going.

For better but a similar price:

https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/GL1500.html

Meropa 1500 Gear Oil
https://restorationstuff.com

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:55 AM   #5
Synchro909

You can't beat Penrite Transoil 240 for the diff and gearbox in a Model A
Old 02-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #6
whirnot

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
A lot of folks think 600w stands for 600 weight, similar to 90 weight. It doesn't.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

They say that the W stands for winter . I've been told that the so called 600 W gear oil that is sold by the model A parts vendors is made up from a mixture of 140W and STP . A person can mix and make their own gear oil . I have used 90 W with no problem if I didn't have any 600W and it shifted just fine .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
Werner

There is heavy 680 gear oil available for industrial machine needs.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #9
marty in Ohio

A Model A friend swore that 600W was 600 weight oil, until I stopped at a local business that sells heavy lubricants. I asked if they carried 600 weight and was told that the heaviest they handled was 700 weight. They asked me "what the hell" I was going to use 600 for. I explained and they said you can't put 600 weight in a car. You have to heat 600 just to pour it.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
Forddan

I have used for the last year the MEROPA 1500 sell by restoration supply (link provided in a previous post), with excellent results.

It's been said that in winter you can't shift. Not true for my MA winter. I started the car this winter with several degrees Celsius below cero in the non heated barn and moved the car, back and front inside the barn and shift perfectly. You will read that you can't move the shift at all. Well, on our MA winter if I go with -11 Celcius outside (-7 in the barn) without starting the car, you can shift without problem. Yes, it is a little harder than in Summer, but smooth and without problem

At least that was my experience. But I am a newbie.

You can take a look to this thread I started in October:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272671
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #11
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
They say that the W stands for winter . I've been told that the so called 600 W gear oil that is sold by the model A parts vendors is made up from a mixture of 140W and STP . A person can mix and make their own gear oil . I have used 90 W with no problem if I didn't have any 600W and it shifted just fine .

W does stand for winter in multigrade oils...the W in 600W I don't think means that as it dates back to the 1920s when multigrade oil didn't exist. Today 600W is a marketing name, nothing more.

I prefer a heavier oil than 140 but if you okay with it I'd go for something like this and avoid the dirty tricks of the suppliers and save $:

https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL24...f_B000M8IHI2/?

Old 02-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
I have used for the last year the MEROPA 1500 sell by restoration supply (link provided in a previous post), with excellent results.

It's been said that in winter you can't shift. Not true for my MA winter. I started the car this winter with several degrees Celsius below cero in the non heated barn and moved the car, back and front inside the barn and shift perfectly. You will read that you can't move the shift at all. Well, on our MA winter if I go with -11 Celcius outside (-7 in the barn) without starting the car, you can shift without problem. Yes, it is a little harder than in Summer, but smooth and without problem

At least that was my experience. But I am a newbie.

You can take a look to this thread I started in October:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272671

Good on you Forddan, you did some critical thinking rather than just be sucked in by the words "600W" on a generic plastic bottle. Gear oils must come with some info such as pour point, ISO rating, viscosity index (you want 100 or more), copper corrosion test...if a seller cannot supply then don't buy. Even the top $ Penrite Transoil specs do not mention some of this critical info. I guess their plan is to sell their oil based on the cool painting on the bottle. You don't buy books based only on what the cover looks like.

Last edited by M2M; 02-22-2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #13
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
There is heavy 680 gear oil available for industrial machine needs.

680 is good but you can also use 1000 or 1500

Old 02-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
Werner

Guten Abend M2M.

680 is the viscosity in mm˛ / sec. at 40 ° C. It is the thickest industrial machine gear oil you can buy here. The data 1000 or 1500 are unknown here. But the 680 is as tough as honey at 10 ° C. Pour point -8 ° C.

I add 5% MoS2.

Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Old 02-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #15
M2M

Thumbs up Re: Gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
Guten Abend M2M.

680 is the viscosity in mm˛ / sec. at 40 ° C. It is the thickest industrial machine gear oil you can buy here. The data 1000 or 1500 are unknown here. But the 680 is as tough as honey at 10 ° C. Pour point -8 ° C.

I add 5% MoS2.

Werner, I'm sure you can find 1000 or 1500 in the EU, but you must search for it.
Gold standard Mobil SHC 636 which is ISO 680 has a pour point of -39C, and even Mobil SHC 639 which is ISO 1000 has a pour point of -33C. There's nothing stopping you doing that winter trip to the Kremlin that you've always wanted to do. See:

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/...SERIES_PDS.pdf

Old 02-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #16
Gold Digger

I don't know much about oils and there make up but I know from working with steam engines for the last 50 years you use 600w for steam lubricators on the engines. Other oils brake down under the heat and wet steam on the cylinder walls of steam engines. A steam cleaner want clean it off of engines, you have to wash it off with kerosene. Allso we used 600w in winches with a worm gear setup. Ford recommended it for their gear boxes and so did John Deere.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #17
Werner

Yes Sir, that's right! Steam cylinder oils are very temperature stable and particularly thick. But here you can only buy this in 50 gal barrels.

Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Old 02-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #18
Flyboy1st

I have worked on aircraft for about 40 years, restored old Harleys and Model A Fords, that W600 is crap. The best I have found is Mobil One synthetic 90W140. It has enough weight(thickness) to drag the gears slower for better shifting yet it is not so thick to make the roller bearings slide instead of rolling, sliding bearings due to thick oil is not good. Mobil One 140 also works good in the steering box(don't ever use grease in it). If you really need something thicker than the Mobil One, Lucas sells a nice straight 140 weight, shake the bottles and you can hear the difference.
Flyboy1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #19
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy1st View Post
I have worked on aircraft for about 40 years, restored old Harleys and Model A Fords, that W600 is crap. The best I have found is Mobil One synthetic 90W140. It has enough weight(thickness) to drag the gears slower for better shifting yet it is not so thick to make the roller bearings slide instead of rolling, sliding bearings due to thick oil is not good. Mobil One 140 also works good in the steering box(don't ever use grease in it). If you really need something thicker than the Mobil One, Lucas sells a nice straight 140 weight, shake the bottles and you can hear the difference.

The main problem with the oils you suggest (and the one's I suggested) is the bottle doesn't say "600W"...for many guys what's written on the bottle matters more than what the oil actually is. Also, if they purchased a quality gear oil they wouldn't be able to delve into the world of old wives' tales by adding STP, extra virgin olive oil, raw honey, etc. People spend big $ on new rear end and tranny parts and a rebuild costs then add such things rather than buy a quality gear oil !!!

Old 02-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #20
warrene

Why would anybody use this thick junk in a transmission or rear end, they're gears no different than today and every bit as good, go to Walmart and get some 80-90, get rid of the tar, put in some real lube' with modern EP protection, your Model A or T will love you for it, won't ever have to replace 'em again.
warrene is offline   Reply With Quote