Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
grchristo

Default What Year Flathead

Greetings, I have a flat head in my 31 project (just bought it) and I don't understand the date coding on a flathead motor. Can anyone help me out and let me know which motor I have (3.9?) and what year it is? I think its a 1952 but there seems to be an additional number (2) on the stamp.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fh1.jpg (47.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg fh2.jpg (32.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg fh3.jpg (88.3 KB, 429 views)
grchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: What Year Flathead

Check this link : https://myflatheadford.com/5988-2/. It will tell you how to interpret the date code stamped on the intake manifold surface (it appears your engine has that stamping). I'd interpret it for you, but can't see it clearly enough.

It really doesn't matter much, as all 8BA series blocks are very similar, the only difference being some have valve seat inserts and some don't. With an engine that has been worked on as much as yours obviously has, who knows what might have been done to it.

The important thing is the crankshaft. It may have a Ford 3 3/4" stroke crank or perhaps the more desirable 4" stroke Mercury crank. Everything else is a matter of the components in that particular engine and their condition.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

This picture shows what appears to be a "LATE" (8BA-style, '49-'53) flathead engine, topped with an "EARLY" (pre-1949) type intake manifold. This is significant because the two different designs ventilate their crankcases via different methodology, and this situation needs to be addressed appropriately before trying to operate the engine. And as such, you MAY have some head-scratching in your future with pulley alignments for fan and generator/alternator. That old distributor may also have you pulling your hair out.

Is that COIL springs I see being used in conjunction with a transverse LEAF spring? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
grchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Check this link : https://myflatheadford.com/5988-2/. It will tell you how to interpret the date code stamped on the intake manifold surface (it appears your engine has that stamping). I'd interpret it for you, but can't see it clearly enough.

It really doesn't matter much, as all 8BA series blocks are very similar, the only difference being some have valve seat inserts and some don't. With an engine that has been worked on as much as yours obviously has, who knows what might have been done to it.

The important thing is the crankshaft. It may have a Ford 3 3/4" stroke crank or perhaps the more desirable 4" stroke Mercury crank. Everything else is a matter of the components in that particular engine and their condition.

Thanks, the number is AB 30 and it has a 2 in there too, which I don't understand. I think its a April 30th, 1952 motor based on your website (which by the way, thank you for sharing).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg number.jpg (33.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-29-2021, 10:58 AM   #5
grchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

This picture shows what appears to be a "LATE" (8BA-style, '49-'53) flathead engine, topped with an "EARLY" (pre-1949) type intake manifold. This is significant because the two different designs ventilate their crankcases via different methodology, and this situation needs to be addressed appropriately before trying to operate the engine. And as such, you MAY have some head-scratching in your future with pulley alignments for fan and generator/alternator. That old distributor may also have you pulling your hair out.

Is that COIL springs I see being used in conjunction with a transverse LEAF spring? DD

Ok, you clearly know a lot more than I do about flatheads as I am just starting to learn. Can I run that intake on this motor? I bought this car with this stuff on it and know nothing about it.

Also the reason I was trying to find the date of the motor was so I could buy points, cap, rotor for the motor (I want to start it). Is this distributor incorrect for the motor?

The coils are on the shocks and it does have a transverse leaf spring.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #6
tubman

The distributor is incorrect for that carburetion setup as it is designed to work with one (and only one) specific carburetor, which you obviously do not have. It is what is called a "Load-a-Matic", which is a vacuum advance only distributor with NO mechanical advance. There is no vacuum line connected to the advance mechanism on the distributor, so that setup, as it stands, has no advance capability whatsoever. You will need to replace the distributor with either a converted SBC distributor available from several sources, among which "Charlie ny" on this forum is one of (if not) the best, or an old Mallory dual point with a mechanical advance. Or perhaps you could temporarily go back to a stock intake with the proper Holley 94 single carb to just get it running. Since the condition of the engine is largely unknown. this may be the best route to take.

The numbers stamped on the intake surface are not typical of what I have seen. I don't think the "30" in the square is part of the factory stamping, but rather a rebuilders stamp, perhaps indicating a .030 overbore. The "A" and the "B" indicate an April 1952 build date, and I think I see a "2" stamped after the "B". I think we can be confident that it is an April, 1952 engine.

Last edited by tubman; 09-29-2021 at 11:39 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:31 AM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by grchristo View Post
Can I run that intake on this motor? I bought this car with this stuff on it and know nothing about it.
Thanks

YES ....You can run that intake on the engine, but some modifications are in order. The best way is to first understand the differences between the way the two engine types ('35-'48, & '49-53) ventilate their crankcases. Once you understand the differences and parts involved, the best mod will be to install a well-thought-out and functional PCV Valve suited toward the function of relieving pressure, as well as ventilating your crankcase of contaminants derived via the combustion process. Below are two old, yet accurate diagrams portraying how the early and late engines ventilate.

Early 1935-1948

Late Flatheads 1949-1953

Once you have it in your mind how each of these systems is SUPPOSED to function, read the many details I've dug-up and exposed when considering MIXING an 8BA BLOCK with an EARLY INTAKE Manifold. I believe I've covered the bases on most of what you'll need to know to help you develop a PCV Valve system for your engine combination. I'll try to help with any questions you may have. Click the link BELOW! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...e+early+intake

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 09-30-2021, 02:43 AM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by grchristo View Post

Also the reason I was trying to find the date of the motor was so I could buy points, cap, rotor for the motor (I want to start it). Is this distributor incorrect for the motor?

The coils are on the shocks and it does have a transverse leaf spring.

As Denny ("tubman") has stated above, you won't be able to use that distributor with your 3-carburetor set-up. Do yourself a favor and read all that you can find here using the "SEARCH" function in the BLACK BAND at the top of every page here on F'Barn, about the 8BA distributors and all of the reasons you DO NOT want to use one. Or, approach the subject asking why using a modified Chevy distributor will make your life great.

And with the transverse leaf spring and how stiff even that single transverse spring MIGHT be in a light Model 'A', you should probably think about losing those coil springs. Those will likely make the ride unbearable! Plus, they're ugly!! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 09-30-2021, 04:03 AM   #9
nickthebandit

Do yourself a real favor and contact Charlie NY here on the Ford Barn for a converted Mallory Chevrolet distributor for your flathead. This will eliminate many of your concerns.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:54 PM   #10
grchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
The distributor is incorrect for that carburetion setup as it is designed to work with one (and only one) specific carburetor, which you obviously do not have. It is what is called a "Load-a-Matic", which is a vacuum advance only distributor with NO mechanical advance. There is no vacuum line connected to the advance mechanism on the distributor, so that setup, as it stands, has no advance capability whatsoever. You will need to replace the distributor with either a converted SBC distributor available from several sources, among which "Charlie ny" on this forum is one of (if not) the best, or an old Mallory dual point with a mechanical advance. Or perhaps you could temporarily go back to a stock intake with the proper Holley 94 single carb to just get it running. Since the condition of the engine is largely unknown. this may be the best route to take.

The numbers stamped on the intake surface are not typical of what I have seen. I don't think the "30" in the square is part of the factory stamping, but rather a rebuilders stamp, perhaps indicating a .030 overbore. The "A" and the "B" indicate an April 1952 build date, and I think I see a "2" stamped after the "B". I think we can be confident that it is an April, 1952 engine.

Thank you, this is great information....I really appreciate it. I know nothing about these motors (but love how they look).I will look for the distributor and thanks for the name to contact.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:07 PM   #11
grchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
As Denny ("tubman") has stated above, you won't be able to use that distributor with your 3-carburetor set-up. Do yourself a favor and read all that you can find here using the "SEARCH" function in the BLACK BAND at the top of every page here on F'Barn, about the 8BA distributors and all of the reasons you DO NOT want to use one. Or, approach the subject asking why using a modified Chevy distributor will make your life great.

And with the transverse leaf spring and how stiff even that single transverse spring MIGHT be in a light Model 'A', you should probably think about losing those coil springs. Those will likely make the ride unbearable! Plus, they're ugly!! DD

I really appreciate the link on the PCV valve, I will read that and figure out where to install one. I will also look at the distributors, seems like I have a lot to learn on this stuff.

I think your right on the coil springs, they are ugly. I believe the guy built this back in the day and put it in a barn for years. I am trying to figure out things like the brakes, which I believe are from a 40 ford. Not much of this car has been engineered by today standards and I am trying to use what I can as I am on a limited budget.

Thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #12
grchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthebandit View Post
Do yourself a real favor and contact Charlie NY here on the Ford Barn for a converted Mallory Chevrolet distributor for your flathead. This will eliminate many of your concerns.

Great advice, I am doing that now...

Thanks