Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
1939Deluxesedan

Default Gasoline flow

I have tried to blow out the gas line without success. The drain plug was buggered up when I got it. I don't see anyway to drop the tank with the body sitting on the frame. I'm not sure what to do. Can someone suggest a aftermarket tank? I thought about one of those cameras on a snake to look in there. Maybe its all rusty. In addition to blowing compressed air toward the tank, there's a break under the drivers side floor with a rubber hose section, maybe it was a filter there at some point. I even tried to pump compressed air into the gas filler with a wet rag over it to make a seal. I poured about 2 gallons of gas into the tank. Maybe I need more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air pressure gas tank.jpg (33.6 KB, 47 views)
1939Deluxesedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
marko39

Default Re: Gasoline flow

If you pull your sending unit you can get a look inside the tank. You can pull the tank the way it is, Drake makes new ones. For the plug, if it is already buggered, try vise grips on it.
marko39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
19Fordy

Is it possible to post a few more photos of what you're dealing with to get the big picture.
What is year, make and model of vehicle?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
1939Deluxesedan

A picture of the underside of the tank? I can do that, it may take a few days. Its dark when I get home from work now. The gas tank supports are on the top of the frame. Its a 1939 Ford Deluxe Sedan. Its been sitting up for years. I'm trying to get fuel to the engine to see if I can crank it. I have got it to turn over.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939Deluxesedan View Post
In addition to blowing compressed air toward the tank, there's a break under the drivers side floor with a rubber hose section, maybe it was a filter there at some point. .
Have you in fact removed the rubber hose section to inspect it?
It's possible that it is deteriorated and is plugged.
After removing the hose you can check both sides of the metal line for clearance.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Lawson Cox

Rig up a makeshift gas tank with a gallon milk jug or large tin can, mounted up near the engine just to get it cranked up. Worry about the gas tank/gas line later. My 2¢

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
1939Deluxesedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Rig up a makeshift gas tank with a gallon milk jug or large tin can, mounted up near the engine just to get it cranked up. Worry about the gas tank/gas line later. My 2¢
I thought about that exact same thing. A whole lot is contingent on me being able to get this engine to run. It's a true fork in the road.
If I do as you describe, do I need to prime the fuel pump? I need to determine if its a good unit.
I'll crawl under and look at things again. Perhaps there is another way to access the inside of the tank.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #8
alanwoodieman

rig up a temporary gas can and fill the carb bowl thru the vent, that alone will get gas to it right away
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
Tony, NY

Quote:
I thought about that exact same thing. A whole lot is contingent on me being able to get this engine to run. It's a true fork in the road.
If I do as you describe, do I need to prime the fuel pump? I need to determine if its a good unit.
I'll crawl under and look at things again. Perhaps there is another way to access the inside of the tank.
Put gas can higher than carb and eliminate fuel pump.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
5851a

Be careful with open gas under the hood, don't want a backfire to ruin your day.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #11
GB SISSON

I use an outboard motor type tank with a hose and squeeze ball. Some of my pickups I drove like that for years with the six gallon tank sitting in the bed. The squeeze ball primer fills the carb right up. No spill, no muss and no fuss.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #12
cas3

my first car, a 36 chev with a boat gas tank in the trunk. drove it a few years like that
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #13
GB SISSON

If your car had flow from the old line, not only would I be surprised, but you would be in a world of hurt as you tried to take a few short drives around your area. Old dirty tanks, old dirty lines have sat me alongside the road more than any other malady. As stated, get the bugs worked out on clean aux tank, new gas with some marvel mystery oil, new hose and when you get the other stuff (like that old original coil, and rotted wiring) worked out, the new tank is a weekend project when the weather is right. Get us a video of the first fire up. I haven't had one in a while and miss it. It won't be the same without the smell though......Thanks and good luck!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:22 PM   #14
19Fordy

Fuel pump is probably "shot". New diaphragm needed.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 11-11-2020 at 11:03 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #15
1939Deluxesedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Fuel pump is probably "shot". New diaphragm needed.
I thought the same thing. I've never replaced the diaphragm. Figured I'd go with a replacement.
So a rubber hose from a portable gas reservoir to the inlet side of the old fuel pump, should provide gas flow when the engine turns over, provided the old pump is good. Would this be a valid test?
I want to prove its failed before I replace it.

Otherwise. A line from a reservoir to the inlet side of the carburetor should provide sufficient gas to start her up? Provided the gas was higher then the carb. Right?
Old 11-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #16
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
A line from a reservoir to the inlet side of the carburetor should provide sufficient gas to start her up? Provided the gas was higher then the carb. Right?
That's the way it was done before the introduction of fuel pumps.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
I thought the same thing. I've never replaced the diaphragm. Figured I'd go with a replacement.
So a rubber hose from a portable gas reservoir to the inlet side of the old fuel pump, should provide gas flow when the engine turns over, provided the old pump is good. Would this be a valid test?
I want to prove its failed before I replace it.

Otherwise. A line from a reservoir to the inlet side of the carburetor should provide sufficient gas to start her up? Provided the gas was higher then the carb. Right?
One concern would be if the diaphragm is leaking it can pump fuel into the inside of the engine. So you want to keep a lookout for that.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:26 PM   #18
1939Deluxesedan

The flooring is actually in pretty solid shape on this car considering how long it was stored and how, The one major exception is the trunk floor. Its rusted through in places. I knew that would have to be repaired when I got it. They make those panels. So when I remove the trunk floor it would be an excellent opportunity to replace the old gas tank, provided I can get access to everything holding it in there. That would be the time to do that. Until then I'll see if I can rig up something temporary and concentrate on the ignition. Someone has put in a old Mallory ignition. Its not making fire. I just jumperd 12v olts to the positive side of the distributor. That should do it. Right? Still no fire at the plugs. I may try another coil. All grounds looked good. If all else fails I can replace the ignition system with one newer. The Mallory is the "crab" type distributor.
I got my new Master cylinder in today.Looks like a Doorman reman from Parts geek. The original master cylinder I removed from the car said "Lockheed". 39 was the first year for hydro brakes, so Ford partnered with the aircraft manufacturer who had the experience
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mastercylender.jpg (37.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg master cylendar.jpg (97.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by 1939Deluxesedan; 11-11-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #19
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
The flooring is actually in pretty solid shape on this car considering how long it was stored and how, The one major exception is the trunk floor. Its rusted through in places. I knew that would have to be repaired when I got it. They make those panels. So when I remove the trunk floor it would be an excellent opportunity to replace the old gas tank, provided I can get access to everything holding it in there. That would be the time to do that. Until then I'll see if I can rig up something temporary and concentrate on the ignition. Someone has put in a old Mallory ignition. Its not making fire. I just jumperd 12v olts to the positive side of the distributor. That should do it. Right? Still no fire at the plugs. I may try another coil. All grounds looked good. If all else fails I can replace the ignition system with one newer. The Mallory is the "crab" type distributor.
I got my new Master cylinder in today.Looks like a Doorman reman from Parts geek. The original master cylinder I removed from the car said "Lockheed". 39 was the first year for hydro brakes, so Ford partnered with the aircraft manufacturer who had the experience
Lockheed brakes had no connection with the aircraft manufacturer.
Lockheed brakes were in use before the aircraft company was created.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 11-11-2020 at 07:30 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #20
Ggmac

Is it converted to 12 volt , original was 6 volt pos ground . Have you cranked it without spark ? Take the plugs out , shoot some marvel mystery oil in each hole , let sit a day ortwo add more oil , crank ( hopefully with plugs out ) until you have oil pressure .
Where do you live , maybe someone local can help .
Gary
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote