Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2016, 03:55 AM   #21
BLACKNRED

Default Re: Tech: Rear axle bearing sleeve replacement. My efforts.

Nice job.

I was going to do mine on a lathe and was talked out of it due to the accuracy required, so I had the surface precision ground and the sleeves pressed on.
The heating and bending of the spring perch is no big deal, you just need to normalise the area by letting it cool down naturally after the bend process, then heat the entire area around where the bend was plus another couple of inches past the bend to cherry red and again let the part cool down naturally.
BLACKNRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #22
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
Nice job Mart ,I need to do this my self but fortunly my lath has a removable bed section . I am working on just using modern bearings though .I will post something if its successful .Ted,
Thanks, Ted. I would be interested in seeing an alternative solution. I, too, considered either the caged roller bearing conversion or the ball bearing conversion mentioned in recent posts. I came to the conclusion that trying a trusted and popular fix was the best option in my case.

My reservation with a ball bearing conversion is that the end float is controlled by the diff. The hub needs to be able to float a little. I couldn't see a way of fitting ball beartings and being able to cope with end float. The roller bearing conversion posted recently has merit, but I thought the roller was a bit smaller than the Ford parts, which may not be a problem, but I had already bought the sleeve, so went with plan A.

Thanks, Blacknred, I will give the area a reheat and allow to cool slowly.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-22-2016, 10:10 AM   #23
rotorwrench

The modern caged needle roller bearings for rotating bearing applications have been around for quite a while and the applications I use them in can take both radial and axial loads pretty well (way lot more load than an old Ford car could put on them). Since the applications are aviation related, the prices for the bearings are way out there and we have to inspect them at 24-month intervals for reliability but they last a long time and are relatively easy to replace. I've had troubles with some that were used in motorcycle drive applications (Harley Davidson) but it was generally due to owners using too large a drive chain that weighed more than the design could handle (they are too small a bearing for that job).

My lathe is only a 6-incher (12-inch throw) so there is no way I could use it to turn an axle bell but luckily there are quite a few machine shops with really big ones around here.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-22-2016 at 12:36 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #24
V Clark

Thanks for the great info. and research. I always enjoy your approach to repairing the seemly unrepairable at our small home shops. We can never fail if we don't try. Even if we fail we still learn something .. I always say and I may have said it to you ... we can learn from everyone we meet or talk to. I continue to learn from you.. Theres more than one way to skin a cat... keep up the good work. Thanks pal. Van
V Clark is offline   Reply With Quote