Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #21
fordwife

Default Re: Problems Setting Valve Lash

Here's something that will help; get a go-no go feeler guage, one that each leaf is .002 smaller on the very end. It makes the job easier.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #22
56markII

Sounds good Pete but in reality in my case this method is impossible! Using POS Kelsey Hayes adjustable garbage in my 1950 Mercury was my first and last mistake! They creep ALL the time and when they ain't creeping they are creeping😡👎. Other threads on this forum have mentions of finding them tack welded etc. and recently I have read that they must turn very firm and hard or you have to remove the adjuster and compress it in a vice! I have a simpler solution just KEEP ALL TAPPETS IN ORDER during assembly and reassembly and use a valve grinder like Henry used to use!
Now given the above mentioned method and perpetually setting Creeper Hayes I place each and every cylinder on TDC and search for the loosest clearance which is basically the heel anyway. I also throw the so called valve setting chart out the window for it saying when setting one valve one a particular cylinder you can set others at the same time. I cycle each and every cylinder individually setting them individually and when I assemble the springs I cycle them again looking for gremlins. Setting them with a valve grinder isn't overly hard realistically because after grinding all valves and seats I don't keep the valves in order of removal. I place them all in a box and select fit them. If one is extremely loose and one sitting off the seat being tooo tight I shuffle them around in a select fit process to minimize uneccessary removal of meat from the valves and seats. Properly setting them results in whisper quiet operation using solid lifters that can be used to shame the Chevy boys with their dipper lubed "Stovebolts"
PS
My search for the Isky 450-811100 brought me here.
PPS
15426378 and this firing order has been around since the beginning of time.
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #23
Ggmac

I hope you stuck you pistons and rods in the correct holes !
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #24
aussie merc

another way is to write down the firing order then take the last half and place it under the 1st half this will give you what is known as a rock set chart IE for a 4 cylinder of 1/3/4/2/ you set 4 when 1 is in rock [both valves open I&E ] so on and so on found this to work on most 4 stroke engines
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote