Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #1
bobscogin

Default '28-'29 open car dash reinforcement bar.

Was it riveted to the cowl post? Is there an alternative means of attaching it? Not doing an original restoration, just piecing together an old roadster pickup. Thanks,

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: '28-'29 open car dash reinforcement bar.

I never have heard of a dash reinforcement bar - pictures? Are you referring to the piece that goes above the gas tank? It is riveted to the cowl posts.

Rusty Nelson
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I never have heard of a dash reinforcement bar - pictures? Are you referring to the piece that goes above the gas tank? It is riveted to the cowl posts.

Rusty Nelson
Yes, the piece that goes between between the top of the cowl post and also bolts to the rear/top of the gas tank/dash. I've heard it called a lot of different things, so I may not have the terminology right. Anyway, I was wondering if there's an alternative to riveting it. Seems like any fasteners would have to be flush for the windshield post to fit correctly.

Bob
Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
wrndln

Bob,
I have a 29 phaeton and 28 roadster. Luckily both vehicles have a good "dash reinforcement bar" on them. I took a couple pictures of the ends of the roadster. I think you would need to get some countersunk head rivets to do it right. You can make a countersunk head rivet from a regular rivet with a drill and a file. I have done a lot of riveting and riveting the 2 rivets on each end don't seem very hard to do. The inside of the rivet is waffled. What I do is bolt everything together first and then remove one machine screw and replace it with a rivet. You need 2 people to do it. Use a decent buck on the outside. It looks like the rivets are 3/16" which can be set cold. It is possible they are 1/4", even though I don't think they are. I have found 1/4" rivets need heat - cherry red before setting them. A cheap air hammer will work, but a 3X or 4X rivet gun works better. Good luck.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rivet to cowl top picture 1.jpg (40.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Rivet to cowl top picture 2.jpg (48.4 KB, 35 views)
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:25 PM   #5
bobscogin

Rusty, thanks for the response. I just checked the hole size in the bar, and a 13/64 drill is the largest that will pass through it, so I'm sure it's a 3/16 rivet. The holes in the cowl post are larger (over 1/4"), but being relatively thin metal compared to the bar, they're probably worn larger from decades of body flex. I'll probably weld them up and redrill to 3/16.

Bob