Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #1
aermotor

Default Voltage regulator

I drove my car for 2 yrs. with original cut out and decided to install a FP regulator last June. Everything worked great until 3 days ago and the generator quit. I installed another cut out and sent the regulator back to be analyzed by John. What else can I check in the mean time? History: all wires front to back replaced, Brakeliter wired to stop light only, Logolites installed as instructed at the time of regulator installation. With the now installed cut out I get 8 amps all the time and 4 amps with the lights on minus 2 more amps while aooghaging. I average 130 miles a month since I began driving the car, half at night and half daytime. Any ideas?

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Voltage regulator

Kinda sounds to me as if everything is OK and the cutout just up and failed.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
jhowes

What'as a Brakeliter? Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
What'as a Brakeliter? Jack
LED brake light and turning signal bar for the back window.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:53 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Look into one of Tom Weisenberg's regulators if yours fails again.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #6
HoarseWhisperer

Tom's Voltage Regulator replaces the adjusting brush inside the generator. No one will ever know.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
Bikerider58

I like the large heat sink Tom uses; it helps keep the magic smoke in.

I did not see a post in the for sale section. Do you know cost and contact info?

I found a nu Rex unit in a box of parts. Need to replace cut and patched wires before testing. I want a regulator before installing a 12v step up for gadgets.
Bikerider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Look into one of Tom Weisenberg's regulators if yours fails again.
I have been using Tom's EVR's for many years.

I feel it is superior to the Cut Out Regulator.

My Experience.

Chris W
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:49 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
I have been using Tom's EVR's for many years.

I feel it is superior to the Cut Out Regulator.

My Experience.

Chris W
I agree but he already bought the other one and it is in for repair.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider58 View Post
I like the large heat sink Tom uses; it helps keep the magic smoke in.

I did not see a post in the for sale section. Do you know cost and contact info?

I found a nu Rex unit in a box of parts. Need to replace cut and patched wires before testing. I want a regulator before installing a 12v step up for gadgets.
Tom is not a vendor but a hobbyist that discovered a way to regulate the voltage of the generator.
Just find any post of his (there are about 20,000) and click on his name to send him an email.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:17 AM   #11
Dave in MN

I also have a Powerhouse fitted with one of Tom's regulators for about 6 years now...no issues. Very satisfied.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #12
2manycars

I had one of those FP cutout regulators, and did not like the way it worked, and then it failed. I replaced it with one of Tom's regulators, and it works perfect.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #13
Patrick L.

I too am not a fan of those cut out regulators. I had problems.

The original system with original parts are pretty bullet proof. The original system with one of Tom's regulators is even 'more better'.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #14
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
I had one of those FP cutout regulators, and did not like the way it worked, and then it failed. I replaced it with one of Tom's regulators, and it works perfect.
What compensation did you get, if any, for the failure? So far I have been asked to send it back with a check for $25.00 to have it "analyzed" to see who's fault it is that it failed. The insinuation was that I did something wrong and it just showed up after 6 mos. Everything works good now with a $15.00 cut out from a local repair shop but I still want a regulator for night and day driving. The $ are adding up with FP and I am "over the barrel". I guess I should have listened about Tom's first.

John
Old 11-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #15
jetrod

Another very good voltage regulator is available from;James Peterson ([email protected]) It is mounted in the band and works! Mine has 20,000 Miles and no problems. It is mounted in a band that replaces the stock band. Easy to install -- just swap bands.
jetrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #16
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
What compensation did you get, if any, for the failure? So far I have been asked to send it back with a check for $25.00 to have it "analyzed" to see who's fault it is that it failed. The insinuation was that I did something wrong and it just showed up after 6 mos. Everything works good now with a $15.00 cut out from a local repair shop but I still want a regulator for night and day driving. The $ are adding up with FP and I am "over the barrel". I guess I should have listened about Tom's first.

John
It was several years ago, and I mentioned on the forum that it had failed, and he responded and said send it back for a refund. I did, and got the refund. I dont know why he now wants $25 to check it. Do you think he has had too many failures? He seemed like a honest guy, but I like the way Tom's regulator functions better.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #17
CWPASADENA

Tom's regulator converts the generator to t true 2 brush generator with the field current controlled by a regulator.

The current to the field is varied depending on the state of charge of the battery and the load on the system, ignition, lights etc.

When I drive my car, after initial start up, the ammeter will show essentially zero after the battery is fully charged. The generator is then only generating enough current to run the ignition system. With this system, the generator should last a very long time

I am not sure how the cut out type regulator works but I do know the "Third Brush" is still in the system and the generator is always charging. I would think this is hard on the generator.

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 11-27-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: TYPO
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #18
lwannem

How an I find out and buy one of tom's voltage regulator ?
lwannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #19
Keith True

What seems to happen with the Funprojects regulator is that people don't follow the directions.The directions say do NOT polarize the generator with the regulator hooked up.People get on here and read how to polarize the generator,and go out the their car and do it.I think I've bought seven over the years for my own cars,and a few for others people.I installed one of Tom's in a powerhouse for somebody,all are working fine.I did have one band type in a generator,that one worked great until it came unglued from the band and wound itself up in there.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #20
eagle

I have no dog in this fight but I will give you my experience. I bought a cutout style regulator from Macs quite a few years ago and it has worked flawlessly. I got really sick of resetting the 3rd brush every time I was going to drive at night so ended up splitting the difference and setting the charge rate too high for daytime driving but not enough to run the lights at night. Either way its very hard on the battery. After installing the VR I don't worry about it, battery stays topped off all the time. One thing to remember, a regulator of any type is adding relatively delicate modern electronics into a very noisy (electrically) electrical system. You have to be careful about jumping, charging, etc. With the old style cutout it is bulletproof but tough on the battery. There's the trade-off.
One more thing for those thinking about installing a regulator, follow the directions exactly, there are no second chances with electronics. If your wiring is in bad shape with shorts and bad connections periodically, don't bother with a VR, you'll just wreck it anyway.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #21
Russ/40

Not at all to disparage any of the above devices, but where does the stock cutout with the diode modification fall in the scheme of things. My guess would be that there is no regulation beyond a stock cutout, but there are no points to get fused together. Is that about it?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #22
john charlton

I have set my 3rd brush for 10 amps ,the generator runs cool at that .On high beam I get about 2 amp discharge . I would have to drive many miles to get a flat battery .I regulate my charging by using the lights to avoid overcharging the battery ,mostly using the parking lights or low beam if need be . This is on a 6 volt system .

John in no weather today Suffolk County England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #23
redmodelt

Russ/40 good question. John Charlton, I do the same with my Model T. My output is set for around town. When I am on a longer tour or drive I turn the lights on to keep the battery from over charging. With the lights on, drops the charge rate to around 2 amps
Old 08-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #24
old31

I always drive with my lights on, just to be seen. Similar to John I set my 3 rd brush to about 8 amps and when I have my lights on it is at 1 amp.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #25
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Not at all to disparage any of the above devices, but where does the stock cutout with the diode modification fall in the scheme of things. My guess would be that there is no regulation beyond a stock cutout, but there are no points to get fused together. Is that about it?
Yes, that's about it. You still have to adjust the third brush to your driving habits.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Regulators and the cutouts are two different things. The Fun products regulator is the only one that has the "cutout" built in. The other two, Toms and the one on the band still need a cutout.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:01 AM   #27
old31

Just so I understand.

Toms regulator replaces the 3rd arm. Do I continue to use his regulator and my nurex cutout at the same time?

Does Toms regulator automatically increase the amps when the lights are put on, and keep a 1 or 2 amp charge going when the lights are on?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:18 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Just so I understand.

Toms regulator replaces the 3rd arm. Do I continue to use his regulator and my nurex cutout at the same time?

Does Toms regulator automatically increase the amps when the lights are put on, and keep a 1 or 2 amp charge going when the lights are on?

Yes
Old 09-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #29
Purdy Swoft

As has been said before, Tom is a hobbyist . Tom doesn't make 0r market a voltage regulator . I believe that Toms favorite voltage regulator is the Nurex voltage regulator that takes the place of the third brush. Tom doesn't own the Nurex regulator anymore than I own the Fun Projects voltage regulator . I have used the Fun Projects 6 and 12 volt voltage regulators and have never had a problem with either . In my experience and opinion , one of the better features of the Fun Projects voltage regulators is that they don't use the often troublesome cut out ... Cut outs can often be repaired but I would rather use a system with no points to stick and kill the battery . A cut out with a diode installed doesn't give voltage regulation . When A diode is used , it allows the generator to charge at whatever rate that the third adjustable brush is set for and there is no points to stick , as can often happen with A stock cut out . Fun Projects offers voltage regulators in six , eight and twelve volt versions . The Nurex voltage regulator only works on a six volt system .

What Keith True says in post # 19 is right on !!! People trying to re polarize the generator with the regulator in place , damages the voltage regulator . I can easily see how failing to follow instructions would upset the maker to the point that he would need to charge a fee to repair the regulator .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Actually I do make and sell my voltage regulators. I make 4 styles to fit all Model A and B generators. I have custom fit some to Stutz cars and Allis Chalmers tractors, though that takes lots of time and costs extra. I'm out of most EVR's at the moment, but am making 48 more. I'm on the road now, returning from Gilmore Model A day, so I can't work on them for a few more days. Summers are too short in Minnesota, so I try to make enough during the winter to carry me through the summer, but it doesn't always work that way.

I thought Nurex no longer made voltage regulators.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote