Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #21
Russ/40

Default Re: Voltage regulator

Not at all to disparage any of the above devices, but where does the stock cutout with the diode modification fall in the scheme of things. My guess would be that there is no regulation beyond a stock cutout, but there are no points to get fused together. Is that about it?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #22
john charlton

I have set my 3rd brush for 10 amps ,the generator runs cool at that .On high beam I get about 2 amp discharge . I would have to drive many miles to get a flat battery .I regulate my charging by using the lights to avoid overcharging the battery ,mostly using the parking lights or low beam if need be . This is on a 6 volt system .

John in no weather today Suffolk County England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #23
redmodelt

Russ/40 good question. John Charlton, I do the same with my Model T. My output is set for around town. When I am on a longer tour or drive I turn the lights on to keep the battery from over charging. With the lights on, drops the charge rate to around 2 amps
Old 08-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #24
old31

I always drive with my lights on, just to be seen. Similar to John I set my 3 rd brush to about 8 amps and when I have my lights on it is at 1 amp.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #25
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Not at all to disparage any of the above devices, but where does the stock cutout with the diode modification fall in the scheme of things. My guess would be that there is no regulation beyond a stock cutout, but there are no points to get fused together. Is that about it?
Yes, that's about it. You still have to adjust the third brush to your driving habits.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Regulators and the cutouts are two different things. The Fun products regulator is the only one that has the "cutout" built in. The other two, Toms and the one on the band still need a cutout.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:01 AM   #27
old31

Just so I understand.

Toms regulator replaces the 3rd arm. Do I continue to use his regulator and my nurex cutout at the same time?

Does Toms regulator automatically increase the amps when the lights are put on, and keep a 1 or 2 amp charge going when the lights are on?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:18 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Just so I understand.

Toms regulator replaces the 3rd arm. Do I continue to use his regulator and my nurex cutout at the same time?

Does Toms regulator automatically increase the amps when the lights are put on, and keep a 1 or 2 amp charge going when the lights are on?

Yes
Old 09-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #29
Purdy Swoft

As has been said before, Tom is a hobbyist . Tom doesn't make 0r market a voltage regulator . I believe that Toms favorite voltage regulator is the Nurex voltage regulator that takes the place of the third brush. Tom doesn't own the Nurex regulator anymore than I own the Fun Projects voltage regulator . I have used the Fun Projects 6 and 12 volt voltage regulators and have never had a problem with either . In my experience and opinion , one of the better features of the Fun Projects voltage regulators is that they don't use the often troublesome cut out ... Cut outs can often be repaired but I would rather use a system with no points to stick and kill the battery . A cut out with a diode installed doesn't give voltage regulation . When A diode is used , it allows the generator to charge at whatever rate that the third adjustable brush is set for and there is no points to stick , as can often happen with A stock cut out . Fun Projects offers voltage regulators in six , eight and twelve volt versions . The Nurex voltage regulator only works on a six volt system .

What Keith True says in post # 19 is right on !!! People trying to re polarize the generator with the regulator in place , damages the voltage regulator . I can easily see how failing to follow instructions would upset the maker to the point that he would need to charge a fee to repair the regulator .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Actually I do make and sell my voltage regulators. I make 4 styles to fit all Model A and B generators. I have custom fit some to Stutz cars and Allis Chalmers tractors, though that takes lots of time and costs extra. I'm out of most EVR's at the moment, but am making 48 more. I'm on the road now, returning from Gilmore Model A day, so I can't work on them for a few more days. Summers are too short in Minnesota, so I try to make enough during the winter to carry me through the summer, but it doesn't always work that way.

I thought Nurex no longer made voltage regulators.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote