Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
brum1

Default Re: Whats your max comfortable driving speed

35 mph all day long
Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #22
Kevin in NJ

The Model A was designed to safely and comfortably run 60 MPH. If you do not believe me then read the service letters.

It has been my experience and many others experience that a properly restored to Ford specs runs comfortably at 60 MPH. It takes some research and money to make this happen.

BTW, a car that runs comfortably at 60 is a complete dream to drive at 45 MPH. One hand driving and brakes that stop one a dime make for a nice drive with no worries, well maybe a little worries that the kid in the rumble seat is not eating the ice cream fast enough.

It has also been my experience that most cars that can only be run 45 MPH are uncomfortable for me at that speed. So much less braking power than a good car, hard to keep on the road and the engine just feels like it wants to die.

You are probably much safer in a car that is restored to factory specs at 60 mph than in the car that has troubles at 45 MPH running 35 MPH.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #23
Dick Deegan

I'm happy at 45 - 50 mph although Charlie will do 60 and be stable in my 30 Coupe. All is stock except 5.5 head and electronic ignition.

19" wheels with Lester tires
Stock shocks in good working condition
Stock 2 tooth steering box
Cast Iron drums with Ted's floaters

Dick
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
V4F

Stock 2 tooth steering box
Cast Iron drums with Ted's floaters
tube shocks
750x16 - 600x16 coker rag tires
s-10 5 speed

i like around 60 mph .......................... steve
Old 01-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #25
Georgew48

My 29 Sport Coupe runs great at 50-55 but I like crusing the back roads at 45. All stock except for 6 volt alt and 16 inch tires and wheels.
Georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #26
Aerocraft

50 unless leading a tour which I run at 40 - 45. Cast iron brakes, 3.54 rear end, 5.5 head, touring cam, insert bearings, '30 Coupe with 75 year old driver. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #27
2manycars

I have been up to 75, but the tudor is happiest at about 50. I stay off the interstate roads because the traffic is doing 70-75, and the state roads are mostly posted at 45 or 50, so that is fine with me. I am in no hurry, and with stock 21 inch tires, stopping is not as good as modern cars. Car has a Stipe cam, snyder head, 3;54 gears, stipe shocks, and otherwise stock original, with 7 tooth steering which has some wear after all these years.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #28
Brobrian

Hmm, seems I'm not in your class, gents. Bone stock '28 coupe likes 40, but will speed up to 50 if given a gentle slope and a few tenths of a mile. The bone stock '31 PU races the motor and rattles the driver to deaf at 40, really likes 35.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #29
Frank Nemo

Ole Betsy likes 45 to 50 as does her driver. She will handle 55 with out complaint if called upon. Betsy is a '30 Sport Coupe with Goodyear 19" tires, Skokie babbit stock engine, Ted's floater brakes.
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #30
2935ford

Wow guys, I'm seeing you run cars at 45 - 55mph!

My '29 Roadster and '28 Tudor grunt at trying to reach those speeds. 35 - 38mph is what they are comfortable at. Mind you they have not been rebuilt and I don't know the actual miles on the engines.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #31
Steam Engine Pete

31 SW Town Sedan, stock drivetrain, brakes, suspension, etc. Will do 60 but usually end up driving 45-50.

Pete
Steam Engine Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #32
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 Red Rocket View Post
What is your comfortable driving speed on the divided highway and the open single lane road. handling, braking, steering?
45, 50 ,55, 60, 65, 70?
How is your car setup?

tire size,
shock absorbers,
steering box,
Brakes, cast drums, steel drums, Mech or Hydraulic,

Bill
Sport Coupe
3500 miles on fresh rebuilt babbit B engine with unknown regrind B cam
Large B head
Working shocks
B carb
3.54 Diff
4.50 19 balanced wheel assemblies
castiron rear drums
Steel front drums (onlist to replace too)
No over drive

Mechanical brakes, recently removed the front "floaters" (REPRO ones with the pin) because the brakes were grabbing on application. Like stock wedges much better.

rebuilt 2 tooth

Is happy at 60-65 on open road, goes 70 easily but I worry about the idiots out on the road.

NOTE: Recently installed 6.00 16 wheels which changes gear ratio from 3.54 to about 3.78.
Handles mountain roads and switch back turns at 8000 feet MUCH better than 3.54s ... 3.54s are just too tall at this altitude with the camshaft in the engine.

Last edited by Benson; 01-18-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention shocks
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #33
Logan

What speed do i drive and feel comfortable at? It just depends on where I'm at. My coupe has a stock babbit engine, electronic ignition, 4 speed overdrive, weber carb, hydraulic brakes, f100 steering, and stock 19 inch wheels. Ive had the speedometer past 80 before, but i dont want to keep it there, you can feel the air lifting up on the front fenders. I prefer to keep it around 70 while on the interstate and 60-65 on back road highways. Some people say its dangerous to drive that fast, which it is, but i believe its more dangerous to jump out on the interstate or back road highways and only drive 40-45. That will get you run over.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #34
jerry shook

I dont really look at the speedo when i am driving. I just know i am all the time saying i wish they meaning the car in front of me would pull over or speed up. On the two lane roads and on the interstate. My buddy drives his a 35 to 40 even on the interstate. Another friend was rearended on the interstate because he was running to slow. I dont wont an a, and wont drive an a that wont keep up with the traffic, to dangerous.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #35
Bob Johnson

Default Survey says

One of my surveys had a question about highway speeds. Perhaps it may help answer your questions.

http://www.modelahouse.com/cgi-bin/s...ey?mpg%results

Bob
Bob Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #36
Bill Stipe

I see there is a lot of different speeds out there and I understand everyone has there comfort level.
The reason I ask is I was talking to some one about my Model T and Model A's with reguards to driving speed and when I told him I dove my Model T 40 to 45 MPH he said I was nuts driving that fast that he would not go over 45 with his Model A. I pretty much drive my A like Mr Logan does and feel very comfortable because it is in excellent restored condition and I need to get up on the interstate from time to time and have to run 65 to 70 with traffic so they don't run me over. I live on a 55 MPH county Hwy also and I feel my Model A handles as well as a 1959 ford we had when I was first driving and they traveled 60 MPH all day and didn't stop any better ether.
So seeing all your posts makes me feel a little better.

Thanks------Bill
Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #37
rogerkb1936

55 if conditions warrant it
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #38
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 Red Rocket View Post
I see there is a lot of different speeds out there and I understand everyone has there comfort level.
The reason I ask is I was talking to some one about my Model T and Model A's with reguards to driving speed and when I told him I dove my Model T 40 to 45 MPH he said I was nuts driving that fast that he would not go over 45 with his Model A. I pretty much drive my A like Mr Logan does and feel very comfortable because it is in excellent restored condition and I need to get up on the interstate from time to time and have to run 65 to 70 with traffic so they don't run me over. I live on a 55 MPH county Hwy also and I feel my Model A handles as well as a 1959 ford we had when I was first driving and they traveled 60 MPH all day and didn't stop any better ether.
So seeing all your posts makes me feel a little better.

Thanks------Bill
Ummm, ...the best advice I could give you is save your money up for one of those Stipe IB335 camshafts and while your at it, get a set of those new Stipe shocks. A lotta money on the front end but well worth the investment!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #39
John LaVoy

Our sedan is set up for long distance drives. 21" wheels (balanced), engine that is balanced, Mitchell overdrive, Weber downdraft, Snyder 5.5 head, electronic ignition, led tail lights, halogen headlights with all that we will drive 55-60 on the open road if not running with stock Model As. The stock Model A will run comfortably in the 45-50 range so we slow down when traveling with our local club.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #40
Randy in Illinois

45-50 where ever it sounds nice. I like to enjoy the ride and listen to the engine do it's thing.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote